Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Now I am confused!!! 🤔

Nothing confusing - the Rails / Heljan Peak has no BR 'badges' - the question is if this is correct. (This is what I understand the debate to be about).

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/03/2023 at 20:21, MikeParkin65 said:

Just noticed the Rails exclusive D65 Grenadier Guardsman hasn’t got a BR crest on either side. Not an expert on Sulzers but yet to see a photo of one like this - anyone know if it’s correct to prototype? 

9E783C28-A121-4E2B-A08C-BDAC4979E739.jpeg

That plate on the model looks to be fitted a little to high.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ray M said:

That plate on the model looks to be fitted a little to high.

Agree, I think the main part of the plate should line up with the centre of the grill. Also think the printed name is slightly over scale - got the Fox plates to fit over which look right but are 2mm shorter than Heljans rendition. Considering my options, as you can see, plenty more to do on the layout without worrying about this. A shame though because it’s a nice model overall even with the previously discussed shape problems, it makes the Bachmann version look its age. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, zoomer1979 said:

Oh dear, looks like Sam of Sam's Trains got a bit of a duffer for his review. Looks to be motor related by the looks of it.

Neil.

Clogged up with carpet fluff more than likely.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Q4 2023... So does that mean the OO models already announced as arriving by Q4 - Class 47, Class 57, Class 25 batch 2, Class 26 with car lights, Class 86/0 and /4, Class 104 DMU - are still on target to arrive before them.

1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

What I want to know is how far north did 45104 go when it had it's NSE flash and when did it have that embellishment?

I took photos of it in May 1987 without the flash and in July 1987 with it, so that narrows it down a bit. My photos are at Sheffield but I know it ran as far as York and Newcastle back then

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A quick glimpse of flickr shows it from the beginning of July 1987.

It spent much time around the North West, and South/West Yorkshire looking at pictures online.

it was withdrawn in April 1988 after a collision with 20064 apparently.

seems to have been popular with photographers, many pictures at Sheffield, but it went far south as Bristol (and further as one picture is of it heading south, taken from onboard), Newport, Ruislip,Leicester. North doesnt have many pictures north of York, but some of the photo text suggests Newcastle as a destination.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

BSYP never been done before in 4mm. 23 members of the class were in this livery if you include D83 which quickly gained full yellow ends. I am sooo looking forward to these, remember them from when I was a kid and we lived in the UK, fantastic machines, you could hear them growl all over town....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/04/2023 at 10:55, brushman47544 said:

Q4 2023... So does that mean the OO models already announced as arriving by Q4 - Class 47, Class 57, Class 25 batch 2, Class 26 with car lights, Class 86/0 and /4, Class 104 DMU - are still on target to arrive before them.

plus the 02 and class 11, and finally the Newton Chambers car transporter, which was due in spring, though as the spring weather has been delayed this year too, we can give leeway for that.

nothing in it for me in this batch, ive got my fill with Bachmann 45/0’s and a few Heljan 45/1’s. All I need now is a sealed beam 46.

it does seem a little quick for more 45’s, there seems to be a lot still in stock from the last lot. This second batch come with whats now a customary price rise with each release, £219 vs £209.

on the street Bachmanns 45/0’s are still widely available at £130.  Heljans 45/0’s are circa £160 for the first batch, £177 for these.

Edited by adb968008

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2022 at 13:29, pheaton said:

Im trying to workout what you mean...regarding the builders plate comment....its true that the builders plate should be 4 bolts only...but its prototypical that they should be on every cab side** (including secondmans) the reason being is they allowed access to the bolts which hold the droplight in plcace, in the event you had to replace the glass or there was a fault with the drop light..without these panels you would have to dismantle most of the panels in the cab, so a hole was provisioned in the sides to allow this on all 4 sides not just the drivers-side, because each seat has a droplight..i would be willing to bet...that as built if you take away the builders plates...the hole would not be present.

**the crux is...they seem to be a later addition possibly something only 45s received as part of there final trip through works as phots of 44s and pre-refurb era peaks don't seem to have them.

So like the axle-boxes Heljan have compromised in that the loco they obviously studied was a preserved class 45.... and have incorrectly included a feature that should only be on 45s modelled in the later years..

hopefully ive understood you point correctly as to "how this has happened"

The six bolt plates were a modification done at depots as well as main works. The reason for the six bolts was that new plate was much thinner and to give a better seal it required the two extra bolts that a works plate didn't have. I wish I had kept a few of the works plates when doing the modification when I was an apprentice at York. This was around 77/78.

Al Taylor

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/04/2023 at 07:27, adb968008 said:

plus the 02 and class 11, and finally the Newton Chambers car transporter, which was due in spring, though as the spring weather has been delayed this year too, we can give leeway for that.

I imagine all three of those items are desirable  The class 11 especially for me. I have never yet bought a 350hp loco, always hanging on for Hornby to release a low numbered D302x example with green and chevrons.  The class 11 would fill my requirement but it doews seem to be taking a while.    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been umming and ahhing about getting a model of tinsley celeb green 45106 since I first saw one a few months back, it’s been in and out of my basket on the kernow website as it was a very reasonable £139 but I never actually clicked on the buy it now, glad I didn’t in the end as I went to DEMU today and picked one up from the c-rail stand for £100 which I’m more than chuffed about 

first impressions are it’s a beautiful loco, seems to sit better than the Bachmann version, hopefully it will negotiate my curves nicely, a very imposing loco, got a 21 pin chip ready to go in, hopefully do that next week 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 17/06/2023 at 23:36, big jim said:

Been umming and ahhing about getting a model of tinsley celeb green 45106 since I first saw one a few months back, it’s been in and out of my basket on the kernow website as it was a very reasonable £139 but I never actually clicked on the buy it now, glad I didn’t in the end as I went to DEMU today and picked one up from the c-rail stand for £100 which I’m more than chuffed about 

first impressions are it’s a beautiful loco, seems to sit better than the Bachmann version, hopefully it will negotiate my curves nicely, a very imposing loco, got a 21 pin chip ready to go in, hopefully do that next week 

Glad you like yours. I've been after a split headcode peak in green with a small yellow for ages, and when TMC reduced the price of their specials I bought D11, but I really don't like it. The cab looks all wrong to me, and those dinner plate axle covers in bright yellow don't help. Add to it the thing is utterly gutless I've put it up for sale, but nobody seems to want to buy it! 

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

Glad you like yours. I've been after a split headcode peak in green with a small yellow for ages, and when TMC reduced the price of their specials I bought D11, but I really don't like it. The cab looks all wrong to me, and those dinner plate axle covers in bright yellow don't help. Add to it the thing is utterly gutless I've put it up for sale, but nobody seems to want to buy it! 

Well, I too have D11.

The cab looks fine to me - and I was brought up on 'Peaks' on the Midland Mainline.

The axleboxes do look oversized in yellow - a few dabs of black paint have resolved that.

Haulage? Eleven Mk1s and barely raising a sweat is fine for me!

Mine's staying!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 17/06/2023 at 23:36, big jim said:
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Well, I too have D11.

The cab looks fine to me - and I was brought up on 'Peaks' on the Midland Mainline.

The axleboxes do look oversized in yellow - a few dabs of black paint have resolved that.

Haulage? Eleven Mk1s and barely raising a sweat is fine for me!

Mine's staying!

John Isherwood.

Mine stalls pulling 6 Mk1s on my incline. No slipping, just stops dead. I think Heljan are having quality control issues with the motors they are using. I'd have probably kept it had it got peak like sloggability. 

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

Key word - incline!

Inclines are the source of more hassle than they are worth!

If you convert your incline gradient to full-size practice, I'm betting the real loco would stall, too.

CJI.

11 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Key word - incline!

Inclines are the source of more hassle than they are worth!

If you convert your incline gradient to full-size practice, I'm betting the real loco would stall, too.

CJI.

Actually it's a 1:100 so it should deal with 6 coaches no problem. My Bachmann Peaks pull 8 up effortlessly. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/08/2023 at 18:50, cctransuk said:

If it looks right to you that is all that matters. For me it is wrong, and that is all that matters. We all have our views and at the end of the day, spend our money accordingly. Enjoy your D11. 

Roy

• Agree 4