Jump to content

phil gollin

Hornby 2020 range "reveal date" = 6th Jan

Recommended Posts

According to a Hattons e-mail, Hornby will reveal their 2020 range on 6th January 2020, and you can pre-order the catalogue ;

 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/427139/hornby_r8159_hornby_2020_range_catalogue_66th_edition_100th_anniversary_limited_edition/stockdetail.aspx?utm_campaign=MAR-424 - Hornby Launch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=N6xwqx&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJwaGlsZ29sQGJ0aW50ZXJuZXQuY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSkdRZVhoIn0%3D

 

So, who can decode/guess the cover photo   -  looks like the Hogwarts Express to me ?????????

 

.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

According to a Hattons e-mail, Hornby will reveal their 2020 range on 6th January 2020, and you can pre-order the catalogue ;

 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/427139/hornby_r8159_hornby_2020_range_catalogue_66th_edition_100th_anniversary_limited_edition/stockdetail.aspx?utm_campaign=MAR-424 - Hornby Launch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=N6xwqx&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJwaGlsZ29sQGJ0aW50ZXJuZXQuY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSkdRZVhoIn0%3D

 

So, who can decode/guess the cover photo   -  looks like the Hogwarts Express to me ?????????

 

.

 

 


Excellent! It's the one date I look foward to every year. I wonder what Hornby has planned for 2020. Isn't it their 100 year anniversary or something?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

So, who can decode/guess the cover photo   -  looks like the Hogwarts Express to me ?????????

 

 

It is just a fuzzied up cover of the 2019 catalogue, so no clues there.

 

hornby2019front_1.jpg

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

According to a Hattons e-mail, Hornby will reveal their 2020 range on 6th January 2020, and you can pre-order the catalogue ;

 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/427139/hornby_r8159_hornby_2020_range_catalogue_66th_edition_100th_anniversary_limited_edition/stockdetail.aspx?utm_campaign=MAR-424 - Hornby Launch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=N6xwqx&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJwaGlsZ29sQGJ0aW50ZXJuZXQuY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiSkdRZVhoIn0%3D

 

So, who can decode/guess the cover photo   -  looks like the Hogwarts Express to me ?????????

 

.

 

 

 

 

LMS Princess. It's last years cover.

 

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/2019-catalogue.html

 

 

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, given their form for claiming locos as their natural territory (Terriergate…) I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Lord Westwood re-imagined (for younger viewers, Google it).

 

It would be nice if for the 100th anniversary they did some more modern re-interpretations of older Triang and Hornby models, or re-issued some of their previous re-makes.  However, one good ole'boy I'd like to see upgraded for the 21st Century is the old Triang AL1.5 (it was allegedly meant to be an AL2 but got changed to an AL1 after the Hornby Dublo model ceased production, hence the slightly odd shape).  A contemporary AL1/Class 81 to the standard of their 87 would be superb and entirely on trend with their territorial marking before Bachmann blag it.  Just make sure it can be easily DCC Sound fitted unlike the 87.

That said there's plenty of kettles they will probably want to upgrade first.

  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Well, given their form for claiming locos as their natural territory (Terriergate…) I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Lord Westwood re-imagined (for younger viewers, Google it).

 

It would be nice if for the 100th anniversary they did some more modern re-interpretations of older Triang and Hornby models, or re-issued some of their previous re-makes.  However, one good ole'boy I'd like to see upgraded for the 21st Century is the old Triang AL1.5 (it was allegedly meant to be an AL2 but got changed to an AL1 after the Hornby Dublo model ceased production, hence the slightly odd shape).  A contemporary AL1/Class 81 to the standard of their 87 would be superb and entirely on trend with their territorial marking before Bachmann blag it.  Just make sure it can be easily DCC Sound fitted unlike the 87.

That said there's plenty of kettles they will probably want to upgrade first.

Great idea! I have a similar thought. Hornby “Classic” class 77, 81, APT, etc with the (Excellent) Limby power bogie and Y21K paint job. And please, Battle Space Turbo car! There’s a market for nostalgia! 
Seriously - Hornby should look to really sweat the tooling assets that exists (I know there a ? over if APT still exists).  

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Great idea! I have a similar thought. Hornby “Classic” class 77, 81, APT, etc with the (Excellent) Limby power bogie and Y21K paint job. And please, Battle Space Turbo car! There’s a market for nostalgia! 
Seriously - Hornby should look to really sweat the tooling assets that exists (I know there a ? over if APT still exists).  

 

I really hope not. It's 2020 next year....

 

 

 

 

Jason

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

 

Thanks for that. As a collector of all things Tri-ang Hornby (my era) and Hornby , this is a must buy, along with the catalogue of course. It’s by Pat Hammond so should be good . Just hope it’s not in the bland style of the latest catalogues . The cover picture is not reassuring .  Here’s hoping they’ve broken the catalogue mould for their 100th (although that’s somewhat tenuous) and we get a completely revamped catalogue too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

I really hope not. It's 2020 next year....

 

 

 

 

Jason

Ha! Well I mean a *Century 21 paint job. 
*regards to Gerry Anderson 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miles73128 said:

Great idea! I have a similar thought. Hornby “Classic” class 77, 81, APT, etc with the (Excellent) Limby power bogie and Y21K paint job. And please, Battle Space Turbo car! There’s a market for nostalgia! 
Seriously - Hornby should look to really sweat the tooling assets that exists (I know there a ? over if APT still exists).  

I’ll be the first to say theres nothing in it for me if they did that lot then.

 

 

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Ha! Well I mean a *Century 21 paint job. 
*regards to Gerry Anderson 

 

Nah. I just think it's pointless releasing old models from decades ago when there are plenty of them out there gathering dust.

 

New versions maybe. Even if it's something like a modern version of Battlespace for the Railroad range.

 

 

 

Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think making the old tooling (if it exists) work for them is going to be part of any sensible business plan. Get the pricing right, and they could fly off the shelves. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year's announcements were astonishing, and will be a very hard act to follow.  I'd like to see some retooling and updating of existing models that are getting a bit long in the tooth and not suitable for the current market, so by and large I'm opposed to the concept of using old tooling unless it can be improved on.  As an example, this year has seen the re-release of the shorty clerestories, a missed opportunity to improve these old stagers with internal detail, correct bogies, decent underframe, NEM couplers and decent buffers, and how about a proper fully lined out Edwardian livery; watch those fly off the shelves!  

 

But I know diddly squat about marketing and what does and doesn't make money, which is why I haven't got Simon Kohler's job.  He is known to be quite good at his job, and I'm not going to argue with him.  But there are some items still hanging about the range that I really can't see the reason for; the 2721 and the Jinty chassis 08 still turn up in train sets even though the 08 is arguably in competition with Hornby's 'proper 08 and must be detracting from it's sales.  Time it was put out of our misery, surely, and that the 2721 was updated.  

 

The old Airfix auto trailer that doesn't know if it's an A28 or an A30 is another one showing it's age. as is the Lima GW railcar.  Both these could be improved to go head to head with Bachmann and Dapol, and would be exactly the sort of thing I'd predict for 2020 as the range consolidates and the dead wood is weeded out (like a mixed metaphor, I does).  Smokey Joe, the Holden, and the Dowlais tank might have a bit more life in them if they were worked up a bit as well.  

 

Particularly poor showing in my view is anything that still has a pre-NEM coupling, and this includes some fairly pricey items like the Crosti.  This looks very bad and smacks of compatibility issues; I know H claim that the old tension locks are fully compatible with NEM, the industry standard, but I know that they are not, and anyway they look (and are) very crude

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Great idea! I have a similar thought. Hornby “Classic” class 77, 81, APT, etc with the (Excellent) Limby power bogie and Y21K paint job. And please, Battle Space Turbo car! There’s a market for nostalgia! 
Seriously - Hornby should look to really sweat the tooling assets that exists (I know there a ? over if APT still exists).  

 

I wasn't thinking of the lightly rehashed old toolings like they keep turning out for the single wheelers.  I was thinking a brand new, 21st century model of one of their old stagers, like they did with the LNER B12 thingy, the Princess Royal and to an extent the Class 87.  The Triang AL1 and a half was a perennial favourite in the late 60s and 70s and I always wanted one living next to the Trent Valley line but never got one.  An all new, contemporary standard AL1 electric would keep up the Hornby tradition of bringing out new versions of old models that were headline models in their past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

 

I wasn't thinking of the lightly rehashed old toolings like they keep turning out for the single wheelers.  I was thinking a brand new, 21st century model of one of their old stagers, like they did with the LNER B12 thingy, the Princess Royal and to an extent the Class 87.  The Triang AL1 and a half was a perennial favourite in the late 60s and 70s and I always wanted one living next to the Trent Valley line but never got one.  An all new, contemporary standard AL1 electric would keep up the Hornby tradition of bringing out new versions of old models that were headline models in their past.

I was thinking what financial yeald they can extract from the old tooling. The maximum return for minimum investment. 
Absolutely, new tooling and models sell. Completely needed to move the brand forward to keep interest. But how much legacy sales value is in the back catalogue? Successful exploitation of historic models could contribute to new tooling budget. Anyway, it’s about maximising value from different market segments. Retro classic is a different and complimentary channel to new tooling. 

Edited by miles73128
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Bulleid 4 Sub as displayed at Margate will do me.

 

Gerry

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill wish for a TTS decoder with class 25 or first gen dmu sounds as I do every year 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hornby have already given us the web address for the new announcements: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020.html

 

I can't recall the exact time of the announcement though, probably 10am?

 

If they're going to do a nostalgic release (hopefully a full retool rather than bringing something back as a Railroad version) what is there to do that hasn't been done by another manufacturer of Hornby themselves? Can only think of the Southern L1, a multitude of 0-4-0 like Polly, or the steeple cab electric. Probably more I'm forgetting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amand said:

If they're going to do a nostalgic release (hopefully a full retool rather than bringing something back as a Railroad version) what is there to do that hasn't been done by another manufacturer of Hornby themselves? Can only think of the Southern L1, a multitude of 0-4-0 like Polly, or the steeple cab electric. Probably more I'm forgetting.

 

Dean single? Caley 123?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

 

Dean single? Caley 123?

 

Have those locos both been lightly re-worked in China like the R150 B12 was back in the mid 1990s?  I'm thinking locos that have been "retired and not replaced."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so - at least below the waterline.

 

I'm trying to think what else was in my first Triang-Hornby catalogue c. 1971. Nellie, 47606, 2MT 2-6-0, Evening Star, red streamlined Coronation, B12, Flying Scotsman in BR green?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, miles73128 said:

(I know there a ? over if APT still exists).  

 

As pointed out on numerous threads and Simon Kohler has stated, the original APT tooling (as well as loads of others) was destroyed by the previous management when they moved from Margate

Edited by jools1959
  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.