Jump to content
AY Mod

KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

...... 4-8-4 can't wait.

 

I don't think so - to the best of my knowledge, only the 4-4-4-4 version is being produced.

 

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

 

I don't think so - to the best of my knowledge, only the 4-4-4-4 version is being produced.

 

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A curious omission - I wonder if one of the notable box shifters is planning on announcing an 'exclusive' as-built incarnation before too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

A curious omission - I wonder if one of the notable box shifters is planning on announcing an 'exclusive' as-built incarnation before too long.

Or maybe the 4-4-4-4 is easier to construct to take small radii curves and a 4-8-4 is a nightmare.

 

I can't imagine a subset of people who want a Fell who want it in 'absolute original form only and won't buy anything else' being very large and that surely would be enough to stem any competition from another source.

 

Unless, UNLESS Hornby recalled thinking about it in 2016 and just happen to have an early EP erm 3d print to show at Glasgow.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or maybe the 4-4-4-4 is easier to construct to take small radii curves and a 4-8-4 is a nightmare.

 

I can't imagine a subset of people who want a Fell who want it in 'absolute original form only and won't buy anything else' being very large and that surely would be enough to stem any competition from another source.

 

Unless, UNLESS Hornby recalled thinking about it in 2016 and just happen to have an early EP erm 3d print to show at Glasgow.

 

Jouef, Roco and others have produced 4-8-4 (2D2) locos without any major difficulties. Seems like a simpler option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL ok, so the original loco once the middle rods were removed was still said to be a 4-8-4 as the drive was still 8 wheels, I guess maybe a more accurate description would be a 2-B0 BO-2 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

 

Jouef, Roco and others have produced 4-8-4 (2D2) locos without any major difficulties. Seems like a simpler option.

 

Not familiar with them, but what is the minimum radius?

 

North American HO seems to have a 22" minimum for 4-8-4 steam (or about an R3.5 if wikipedia is correct on the Hornby R's)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mdvle said:

 

Not familiar with them, but what is the minimum radius?

 

North American HO seems to have a 22" minimum for 4-8-4 steam (or about an R3.5 if wikipedia is correct on the Hornby R's)

 

The Jouef 2D2s built to go round R2 curves. I don't know the spec for the Roco version but I would expect the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

LOL ok, so the original loco once the middle rods were removed was still said to be a 4-8-4 as the drive was still 8 wheels, I guess maybe a more accurate description would be a 2-B0 BO-2 :)

Since all the axles were still coupled it was always a 2D2 or 4-8-4, neither form of notation helps here.

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had an email from KR that the technical issues have been resolved and the website is back online.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2020 at 16:33, woodenhead said:

I can't imagine a subset of people who want a Fell who want it in 'absolute original form only and won't buy anything else' being very large and that surely would be enough to stem any competition from another source.

I prefer to have locos in their original forms and liveries if possible. However, I’m so tickled at the prospect of a Fell that any form will do, apart from the one with a burnt out steam heating boiler and sheeted over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Just had an email from KR that the technical issues have been resolved and the website is back online.

 

Cool, so can I put a deposit on or pay with paypal, I don't know this partly thing on there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy times, Ordered my Fell loco :) now just have to wait, but that gives me time to dig into her history :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2020 at 01:19, mikesndbs said:

LOL ok, so the original loco once the middle rods were removed was still said to be a 4-8-4 as the drive was still 8 wheels, I guess maybe a more accurate description would be a 2-B0 BO-2 :)

2-D-2 would be more correct in UK railway parlance, all 4 axles are driven from a common source as they are linked together internally by the gearboxes.

It's odd that this was always referred to using Whyte nomenclature when most other UK large IC machines were not,  Bo-Bo, A1A-A1A etc.

I know shunters were always Whyte style.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's talk about the sound, so we have four main engines and two auxiliary engines, guess the aux engines started first followed by the main engines.

Main engines increased revs before the next one was brought in by the driver until all four were in full cry.

This must have been one amazing sound? 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Let's talk about the sound, so we have four main engines and two auxiliary engines, guess the aux engines started first followed by the main engines.

Main engines increased revs before the next one was brought in by the driver until all four were in full cry.

This must have been one amazing sound? 

Think this was posted a while back but here it is again if not

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2020 at 20:06, mikesndbs said:

What a wonderful film! Thanks


you’re welcome :mocking_mini:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is /was a cased rig in the N.R.M. Warehouse, where you could operate the model of the Fell gearbox as in the film, but only a rudimentary label of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive received an e mail from Keith today stating the GT3 will be delayed a month due to the lockdown in China. It is now expected in July. In respect of the Fell there is a Cad drawing on the page. The  completed Cad scheduled for end of April . It is hoped that an example  model will be available for inspection at Warley. I post this for general info, im sure others have received this e mail. I have no connection to the company. I hope to be at Warley this year for obvious reasons. 

  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I’ve received the email too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2019 at 10:52, Oldddudders said:

I do hope someone is with 'Chard of this parish. He may be tempted to do something we would all regret. 

 

I was actually working in the exhibition when the news broke!  I hadn't the opportunity to read this thread at the time, although I made occasional forays round the hall later during the weekend to see whether humorous potential presented itself!  

 

I wish them well with their Fell, clown car that it is. :diablo_mini:

  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

 

I wish them well with their Fell, clown car that it is. :diablo_mini:

Indeed, there is room here for all opinions. The thing is reported to have worked but it didn’t have a future. I will say that I have the greatest admiration for a mind which could think of something so radically different. After all, one never knows if something is practical or not until it is tried.

 

Except, perhaps, for the Leader. They should have known. :rofl_mini:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following announcement from KR Models on Facebook:

"As an added bonus, we have figured out to make the original 4-8-4 version. Our intention is to include the alternative connecting rod inside the box so that you can change it if you wish."

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A slightly extended passage from the email received by subscribers this week. 

 

As a bonus we have figured out a way of including the full connecting rod to make a 4-8-4 configuration. All you will need is a spanner to unbolt the old connecting rods and replace with the new one. You get two models for the price of one. There were other changes to the body work that we can't change without a huge expense. So we are keeping to the one we have the most information on.

 

Quite understandable about the body changes (not that I'd know what they were)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.