Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

Here's what I will be getting.

Class 91 VTEC "For The Fallen"

Class 60's as 60062, 60100 in DB Large Logo and 60021 in Colas.

The GWR/IC HST pack with the Mk3's.

Might get the APT train pack as I remember the 1980's model that used to fetch silly money on those well known auction sites etc. 

Cannot say what wagons I am getting as the Hornby website is very laggy at the moment but its best I get a better job with more salary if I wanted these and the Zoukei Mura Shinkansen as well! ;).

2 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

just noticed that APT listing doesn't list a single NDM, so i guess that ruins any chances of trying to run 14 coach

The 7-car pack must be 2 power cars based on the price difference. The other additional coach over the 5 car isn't obvious unless its the bogied APT-U development coach when the rest are paired

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GordonC said:

The 7-car pack must be 2 power cars based on the price difference. The other additional coach over the 5 car isn't obvious unless its the bogied APT-U development coach when the rest are paired

the APT-U coach was used for the test bed of the MKIVs iirc, given how the IC225 was based on APT

• Agree 1

Monster list. This certainly has big roll of the dice written all over it. Using the finance package to make product that will hopefully turn the business around. Hope it flies.

Observations.

The big LNER locos. The name choices for the A2/3s are good in my opinion. While I haven't ever thought to do a systematic analysis, my impression is that other than Unsteady Eddie these are the ones that regularly feature in photos. As for W1, it's going to give me something to do to fit two flanged trailing carrying wheelsets.

The LMS biggun in the H-D commemorative pack, 1,000 off. In the small print it says 'Diecast loco body'. Now, Hornby have been offering largely diecast (and very fine they are too) loco bodies of late - my hope had been that this treatment might have been applied to their dog-eared 8F - and I do hope that the Duchess continues to be released in this form in years to come. (Rather extravagant to tool up for a single 1,000 off commemorative?)

Rocket. Scheduled for Feb 2020, so unless someone has totally lost their grip, these must be on the high seas even now. Curious, to my mind, is a whole £10 price premium on the 'Triang commemorative special edition' as compared to the regular release. That cannot be right surely?

Would have liked one 'old wagon' renewal. The bogie brick wagon with antecedents in both lines of descent might have been a good choice: TWO! commemorative packaging styles available...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, mdvle said:

So, you originally said:

So, thousands of locos, even at £6, your talking over £6000 - so yes, still too expensive I assume even though the bluetooth board comes with a speaker.

Of course if you aren't upgrading the entire fleet then your cost equation changes regardless of which Bluetooth solution you opt for, though yours is still cheaper.

But the other aspect is whether Hornby want to get involved in the tech support of trying to get their system working with random Bluetooth items off of Amazon, eBay, or other Chinese sellers.

I think you missed it, 1 £6 speaker in that video the speaker played at least 6 locos in that video.. It can play music if I want its a speaker... it plays anything you tell it... its not programmed.

Hornby already has a sound van, replace the DCC with a bluetooth listener and they are set.. 

As its a speaker its only job is to play sound. (It actually has a built in mike to for £6.. i actually had an incoming phone call when using it once and the caller thought I really was on a train).

This is Hornbys first step into this area, but if evolved they could really go far here... with 1 speaker (more if you want to have multiple at once), not 1 speaker/chip per loco.. thats the whole point. I think this step could be a first step on an interesting journey for those who dont want to spend £100 a loco on sound... it just software now to close this gap, and I could suggest some good ways to make money here.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, WestRail642fan said:

i hope its to a similier standard to Rapido's APT-E

Same here mate. I would have checked on Hornby's site but I cannot get on it right now as its too laggy and the connection cuts off. So I will check later when the traffic dies off a bit as I would be interested in getting this model and I will be getting the Rocket as it was the godfather that brought the railway into existence ;).

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Unlikely, the Manor has (sadly) really become more of a running joke at these announcements - consistently high polling year after year yet every manufacturer seems to be avoiding it, perhaps fearing duplication.

Possibly likely; it is an obvious one to do and as GW locos go, attractive, especially in lined black. It's only a matter of time, I guess!

This is Hornby best-ever catalogue for me,and I go back to 1978.Theyve delivered on the frothing lists,that's one reason.I woke up this morning in a state of anticipation but fully expecting to be disappointed,as every year.And then I began seeing them-Advanced Passenger Train,Rocket,Hush Hush!Its wonderful!!Could only be bettered by the inclusion of the De Havilland Trident from the 1964 Model Land range,but no matter.Maybe next year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's a long list. I'm surprised not to see Flying Scotsman on the list (joke) but all in all, pretty impressive. 

Nothing is 'grabbing' me, but you can't please everyone, either. I'm just awaiting the Large Prairie.

Overall, pretty impressive.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Floreat Industria said:

Something clicked when I glanced at the Beatles Eurostar. It was the first to be scrapped at Kingbury and here are a couple of photos I took. 3006/5 snaked very slowly into the sidings while a southbound express waited at the signal. The M42 was at a standstill.

Eurostar 3005 arriving Kingsbury Scrapyard 27.10.16.jpg

Who would have thought that passing motorists would be so interested in watching operations in a scrapyard?

Though I do understand that containers several blocks high were placed around the confines of the scrapyard so that no one could look in due to the public sensitivity over scrapping the old Eurostars. 

• Funny 1

A very interesting set of announcements! Think Hornby have done well to tap into their heritage but without going too overboard.  Am intrigued by the rocket set and the retooled APT. Did Hornby have a plan to retool the APT before DJM or is it a reaction to? I think Hornby will have pleased many with this announcement but as a predominatly Southeastern modeller there's not much other than the wartime H Class for me.

• Agree 1

Interesting range - has something of a 'make or break' feel about it and I sincerely hope its 'make'. The Steampunk range could be a stroke of genius if they can tap into the gaming market, but even if they can't, I suspect many kids will engage with this line which is good news - the few steampunk layouts I have seen at exhibitions have really captivated the younger audience. 

The 91 - hmmm that's worrying, as Cavalex have put so much time, effort and doubtless money into their project - I really hope they won't pull out from that and I shall be honoring my commitment to them and not jumping ship. I hope others won't be put off either. 

APT is great news - as someone caught up in the DJ Models APT affair, this has put a big smile back on my face! 

Was hoping for a blue-grey super-detailed HST, but don't fancy buying two sets of the blue-grey/GWR and selling on the GWR power cars! 

So my next prediction (given that I'm obviously hopeless at this sort of thing!) is a BR blue early AC electric from Bachmann......!

All in all though, I really hope this works for Hornby - some gambles in there (Beatles Eurostar, Steampunk) but it would all work out very well indeed - and I hope it does. 

7 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Monster list. This certainly has big roll of the dice written all over it. Using the finance package to make product that will hopefully turn the business around. Hope it flies.

Observations.

The big LNER locos. The name choices for the A2/3s are good in my opinion. While I haven't ever thought to do a systematic analysis, my impression is that other than Unsteady Eddie these are the ones that regularly feature in photos. As for W1, it's going to give me something to do to fit two flanged trailing carrying wheelsets.

The LMS biggun in the H-D commemorative pack, 1,000 off. In the small print it says 'Diecast loco body'. Now, Hornby have been offering largely diecast (and very fine they are too) loco bodies of late - my hope had been that this treatment might have been applied to their dog-eared 8F - and I do hope that the Duchess continues to be released in this form in years to come. (Rather extravagant to tool up for a single 1,000 off commemorative?)

Rocket. Scheduled for Feb 2020, so unless someone has totally lost their grip, these must be on the high seas even now. Curious, to my mind, is a whole £10 price premium on the 'Triang commemorative special edition' as compared to the regular release. That cannot be right surely?

Would have liked one 'old wagon' renewal. The bogie brick wagon with antecedents in both lines of descent might have been a good choice: TWO! commemorative packaging styles available...

It looks like you're right - just a £10 premium for the different box and a certificate. I have a gut feeling that The Rocket sets may quickly become as rare as Rocking Horse do dos... given that they must now be on their way. Order now, would seem to be the advice, based on the sell out of the first Peckett.  I suspect many people will buy them as being priced reasonably (it's all relative...) and being 'pretty' along with a nostalgia 'tug'

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The Floyd 56 is an unusual one...……….

As is the choice of GBRf 73 - Another standard tooling dolled up as a converted loco. So a repeat of the WCRC Northern Belle 57 situation. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

On the APT front - which is really great news as I'm interested in this -  they are doing extra coaches for 2 different sets. Now, I can't figure out which set of coaches is for which APT.

A full set was 14 cars. The 7 set becomes 15 so something is duplicated here (or we might be missing a power car!), the 5 set becomes 13 (missing a power car). If both were 6 car sets, then at least we could guess which coaches go with which.

Before ordering, I'll wait for extra details as I'm not sure how it fits (as well as wishing to know the window surrounds for each set too).

Agree. A little more detail will be welcome. Perhaps the girls and boys at Margate can assist please (via the Mod, perhaps)? (We know you're lurking here!)

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Mel_H said:

Agree. A little more detail will be welcome. Perhaps the girls and boys at Margate can assist please (via the Mod, perhaps)? (We know you're lurking here!)

I suspect that they might be a bit busy at the moment. Give them a few weeks and we'll see what we can find out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2