New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

38 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Antics site does say  Apr 30

Hornby show it with their cabled 6 pin in the barrel.  Other makers do cabled 6 pins but their might be an issue with the length of the cable if it longer than Hornbys (seems to be something that their is no detail on) -  examples

ESU 53664  https://www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk/esu-53664-lokpilot-nano-standard-dcc-6-pin-.html

Zimo MX617F https://www.agrmodelrailwaystore.co.uk/zimo-mx617f-dcc-decoder-6pin-on-wire

As an alternative suspect a 6 pin decoder with long pins might work with the pins bent through 180 degrees so that the decoder itself is above the socket.

I have seen a decoder with pins ready bent, at right angles, but haven't got time to check right now.  I will have a look in the morning.

Julian

On 17/02/2020 at 18:53, royaloak said:

All standard releases are now limited in number, they are produced as one batch and that is that, the days of thousands and thousands of the same model being produced year after year are long gone.

But it's a odds on bet there will be further batches produced.

• Agree 3

51 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I have seen a decoder with pins ready bent, at right angles, but haven't got time to check right now.  I will have a look in the morning.

Julian

Bachmann 36-556RA has 90 degree pins, think the only models it worked with were the Farish Jinty and possibly a pannier tank. If I'm successful in getting a Rocket set then a Zimo would be my first choice of decoder, they do some tiny ones on a harness or with 6 pins on the decoder board.

Edited by Amand
I kan't spell!

45 minutes ago, Amand said:

Bachmann 36-556RA has 90 degree pins, think the only models it worked with were the Farish Jinty and possibly a pannier tank. If I'm successful in getting a Rocket set then a Zimo would be my first choice of decoder, they do some tiny ones on a harness or with 6 pins on the decoder board.

Thanks, I won't be going Bachmann, whatever.  A wired and trusted one is better than that.  Zimo and DCC Concepts 6 pin versatile, which has a harness and stay-alive, both look likely contenders.

Julian

On 17/02/2020 at 18:53, royaloak said:

All standard releases are now limited in number, they are produced as one batch and that is that, the days of thousands and thousands of the same model being produced year after year are long gone.

Companies make & sell what they feel customers want to buy.

Most models are 1 in a larger class, so you could produce 6230 Duchess of Buccleugh then 6234 Duchess of Abercorn. Rocket is a 1-off & it makes sense not to just leave the tooling unused forever.

There seems to be more demand than supply of Rocket. If Hornby feel that another batch will sell quickly (& I'm sure they will) then they will produce another batch.

When 46256 Sir William Stanier FRS in BR red sold out quickly, then soon commissioned another batch.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes. April the 30th the normal British way of signifying dates. Not April 2030.

Not so

The British method of quoting dates is (and always has been):- day / month / year

In that context 'April 30' is quite clearly:-  month / year

It is the American date system which uses the month / day / year format

Under that foreign system then yes, 'April 30' is :- month / day

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 6

Ignoring the date format issues (we use the British system here), I am puzzled that some people have their Centenary Packs and are posting pics, some dealers are suggesting that they are imminent and my dealer is deathly silent on the subject.  No names nor pack drill but they are usually very prompt.  

Its possible that the people with Centenary Packs are those who ordered direct from Hornby.

The dealer I ordered from sent out an email yesterday saying that they expected R3809 and R3810 to be in their hands by the first week in March (ie next two weeks). 

In the "Engine Shed" blog for 31/01/2020, Hornby stated "As mentioned previously, both train packs are in transit, with R3809 due to land on these shores in the second week of February and R3810 following a couple of weeks later. Given that both should arrive before the next edition of Engine Shed, we thought that we would bring you up to date with the project now.".

Given that, delivery seems to be going to plan.

As for date formats....

British =  DD/MM/YYYY

American = MM/DD/YYYY

ANSI standard* = YYYY/MM/DD

I don't know why the US considers "month" to be more significant that "day number" but ANSI makes the most sense for sorting dates on a computer...

* Computer friendly

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its possible that the people with Centenary Packs are those who ordered direct from Hornby.

The dealer I ordered from sent out an email yesterday saying that they expected R3809 and R3810 to be in their hands by the first week in March (ie next two weeks). 

In the "Engine Shed" blog for 31/01/2020, Hornby stated "As mentioned previously, both train packs are in transit, with R3809 due to land on these shores in the second week of February and R3810 following a couple of weeks later. Given that both should arrive before the next edition of Engine Shed, we thought that we would bring you up to date with the project now.".

Given that, delivery seems to be going to plan.

According to Hornby's DPD Tracker, our Rockets are an hour and twenty five minutes away and counting. Main issue is the shop is closed on Thursdays. We are en route to Glasgow for Model Rail Scotland.

Just hoping the bike shop opposite don't use the parcel as a foot stool. If they do I will certainly be giving the owner a Rocket!!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Fancy spoiling the froth with facts! ;) 

At least it’s appears from this many supported model shops with their orders rather than all just going to Hornby direct. That’s not meant to be a dig at direct orders by the way ;) just nice to see the natural reaction is to use the usual suppliers :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, I'm only a beginner, but I still reckon this is a tiny model.  There doesn't seem like much room in that barrel to me! 

It runs fine on DC, but DCC is needed.  I'm looking forwards to some expert guidance!

By the way, I pre-ordered the commemorative pack from Hornby, and it arrived three days ago.

20200220_100720.jpg

20200220_100809.jpg

20200220_100831.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Mirabile Visu said:

Well, I'm only a beginner, but I still reckon this is a tiny model.  There doesn't seem like much room in that barrel to me! 

It runs fine on DC, but DCC is needed.  I'm looking forwards to some expert guidance!

By the way, I pre-ordered the commemorative pack from Hornby, and it arrived three days ago.

20200220_100720.jpg

20200220_100809.jpg

20200220_100831.jpg

Those pictures really put into perspective how small it is. Looking forward to seeing mine tonight when I get home. 

The tender also looks like it's crying for some real coke/finely crushed coal. And the fireman looks like he's about to attack the base of the barrel. 

30 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

What height is the top of the chimney above track level. I'm asking to see if normal vertical clearances will be ok.

63mm from rail head to top of chimney crown. Collected mine from my local model shop. They got the number that Hornby had promised them but one person dropped out so I was first reserve. Lucky me! R3809 btw, £3810 is expected in around 2 weeks.

Edited by Amand
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Amand said:

63mm from rail head to top of chimney crown.

That's 15' 9".

A lot of these early locos had tall chimneys.

It makes you wonder how we ended up with such a low loading gauge.
:jester:

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Amand said:

63mm from rail head to top of chimney crown. Collected mine from my local model shop. They got the number that Hornby had promised them but one person dropped out so I was first reserve. Lucky me! R3809 btw, £3810 is expected in around 2 weeks.

You won the lottery? Brilliant !

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Mirabile Visu said:

The plug on  a 6 pin on a cable should be no bigger than the blanking plug and that then gives the top half of the barrel at least for the cable and the decoder  as Hornby clearly demonstrate nine tenths of the way down this page

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/Hornby-2020-stephensons-rocket