GER 10T Goods Van announced!

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

That sort of thing is wonderful for 'customer relations' but not so good for bank balance .................. I had a camera pouch that had a 'lifetime guarantee', at one time, and asked if they could repair it when the support straps wore thin - they sent a complete new pouch .... and have since gone out of business ! 

My Dad bought a stainless steel exhaust for his Morris Minor in the mid-80s that came with a lifetime warranty. Circa 1995 it failed the MOT on a broken exhaust. Guess what?

They wanted the receipt for proof of purchase.

Guess what?

My Dad keeps EVERYTHING :D

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Of course the question is - what does the aforementioned 'lifetime' apply to ? ..... is it the life of the purchaser or the design life of the product ?

With car parts it is normally whilst the original purchaser owns the car, and as long as there is no sign of modification or misuse.

He still owns it now (this will be the 50th year of ownership, however it is going to its new home this Wednesday hence it's very fresh in my mind).

I think modern "lifetime" warranties pretty much always have a fair use policy attached making the lifetime bit effectively redundant.

• Like 1

I've always thought that a 'lifetime guarantee' was a rather odd statement - more sales talk than promises.

If you buy a widget, and use it properly, like anything mechanical it is subject to natural wear. There comes a point when it WILL break. Is that its expected lifetime? So they really have guaranteed it 'for life' - or not?

Rather like reading a £5 note I think. The Bank of E 'promises to pay the bearer the sum of £5 - err... you already have £5 in your hand when holding the note! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Rather like reading a £5 note I think. The Bank of E 'promises to pay the bearer the sum of £5 - err... you already have £5 in your hand when holding the note! 

There was a time, though, when you could swap it for five gold sovereigns.

CJI.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

If you go to the Bank of England and tell them you're the bearer and make a formal demand, they will indeed give you a fiver for it.

It's a good many years since I cashed a cheque there though ... Bank of England staff used to have BofE chequebooks, and under the reciprocal agreement between the banks, that meant that they had to cash cheques for anybody with valid a cheque book and Cheque Guarantee card from any of the clearing banks. The Bank took a very dim view of their staff issuing cheques without sufficient funds in their accounts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

I’ve filmed a Q1 review round up of OR releases, released next week. 

The following photo is of the actual models if this is helpful (includes Banana vans and Pilchards): 

57E64AA1-1A30-4BF2-94B4-4725F8E24B91.jpeg.17fc9411b831e237e0291dc13f12fed9.jpeg

That's useful. I still reckon that the GE livery is the nicest of the lot!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markw said:

They do look as if brakes are mis-assembled, the GE vans have two brake levers with the Morton clutch and the Banana vans have two brake levers without Morton clutches.

We're not looking at the same side of all vans so it ain't that simple ......... looks to me like all vans probably have the correct levers but in Eric Morecambe's not necessarily right order.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

As Markw points out, the Banana van looks as if there's no Morton clutch on either side....

If the ventilated van does have two, it'll hopefully facilitate a bit of parts swapping, which will be fine if, like me, you are getting the same quantity of each type....

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Depending on how the handbrake lever rack is attached at the other end, it might be fixable by cutting it off at the v hanger end and glueing it back in the correct place at the bottom of the v. If the handbrake lever rack comes off easily, this can be glued back as well, fractionally out of place but not as visibly obviously so as it’s not being attached to the bottom of the v hanger.  Shame it’s

like this in the first place of course, but Ox is Ox and it’s still good vfm IMHO.  I’m deffo not cancelling my pre- order from Rails.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Depending on how the handbrake lever rack is attached at the other end, it might be fixable by cutting it off at the v hanger end and glueing it back in the correct place at the bottom of the v. If the handbrake lever rack comes off easily, this can be glued back as well, fractionally out of place but not as visibly obviously so as it’s not being attached to the bottom of the v hanger.  Shame it’s

like this in the first place of course, but Ox is Ox and it’s still good vfm IMHO.  I’m deffo not cancelling my pre- order from Rails.  

Best to take the lever and rack off as one unit. If they are arranged as on the 6-plank opens, there will be a pin on the end of the lever and a square tag on the rack that plugs into a matching hole in the solebar.

Beware, everything else on the chassis is likely to be made from glue-proof plastic.

It'll be interesting to see if the buffer-beams/solebars are integral with the body (not glue-proof), in which case it may make life a bit easier.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 25/02/2020 at 17:46, jamesC37LG said:

From Oxford Rail's Facebook page this afternoon:

FB_IMG_1582652721112.jpg.04a6956fd748a78c889f469d22994cd7.jpg

FB_IMG_1582652723722.jpg.1acdcba5e74c727f0836d0e487fcdd9e.jpg

This may seem a daft question, but does the fact the vents are a different colour to the body imply they'd be a separate part? Only because I need a set of four GER style vents to convert a Dia.15 van to a ventilated version and cutting plastic plasticard vents is proving fiddly...

Also, does anyone have any experience with Oxford wagons to know if the bodies are easily removable from the chassis? 

Cheers

James

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

This may seem a daft question, but does the fact the vents are a different colour to the body imply they'd be a separate part? Only because I need a set of four GER style vents to convert a Dia.15 van to a ventilated version and cutting plastic plasticard vents is proving fiddly...

Also, does anyone have any experience with Oxford wagons to know if the bodies are easily removable from the chassis? 

Cheers

James

Different colours on the cad usually indicate separate components.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The body shells of the Banana van and the Ventilated van appear to be identical apart from the absence of vents on the former. 

I'd therefore think it's pretty inevitable that the vents will be separate to allow both types to be produced using the same main moulding.

On past form the sole bars and buffer beams will be integral with the bodies, the functional chassis being an insert in the same way Bachmann make their wooden body PO wagons.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, jamesC37LG said:

<Also, does anyone have any experience with Oxford wagons to know if the bodies are easily removable from the chassis? 

Cheers

James

Previous Oxford Rail wagons had the underframe/floor moulding secured by the buffers. One had to carefully twist/pull the buffers out.

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The GE van has headstocks as part of the body.

The chassis is held in place by small projections inside the body engaging in recesses in the edge of the floor. These can just be seen above the axleguard.

A knife blade or thin screwdriver blade worked in between the chassis and the inside edge of the side can be used to lever the side away and ease the chassis out.

The buffers don't need removing, they appear to be glued in.

Edited by jimwal
To add info.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I just received an email from rails that they have the GER van in stock with the price increased to 14.50. I accepted the increase so I assume my pre order will be processed shortly.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1