Planned server maintenance - revised to WEDNESDAY 22 JULY

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

How about the new "clap" button. ;) Just think, you can give someone the clap on RMweb..!!! :tease:

Oh, I thought it was a ‘reminder to wash my hands after modelling’ icon.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, gordon s said:

and some of them were supposed to be working

Shhhh, don't tell anyone. Also how else am I meant to get through the day now I spend around 16hrs a day, 5 days a week in the same room. (My desk is in the bedroom rather than being some insane workaholic)

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

There are evidently some speed/loading issues once users have come back onto the site. We are working on it.

The only issue I see is one of more performance. Pages seem to be loading quicker. :)

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
Just now, 57xx said:

The only issue I see is one of more performance. Pages seem to be loading quicker. :)

Yes, it's improved after some tweaking from Michael. The last hour has seemed pretty consistent.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Yes, it's improved after some tweaking from Michael. The last hour has seemed pretty consistent.

After just reading a news story about Kanye West I initially read that as 'Twerking' ....the strange thing is that I didn't question it and accepted it as common practice  until I re-read it..:O

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Good question Eric; I've removed some of the numbers for commercial reasons but attached a chart showing the year-on-year differences.

GA 22072018.jpg

Over the winter the numbers had been pretty similar and as soon as the 23rd March came there was an increase in traffic leading to April being 46% higher than last year and May 35% higher and it's only now that the numbers are coming back down to normal. If the guvment wanted graphs showing whether people were staying at home they could have asked me. ;)

On a serious point, hopefully this also shows that RMweb has been a Forum to help people’s well-being during lockdown: with a lot of people facing financial and other challenges, the social side of a hobby can still - I hope - be a worthwhile positive.

But it presumably this also means more work for Moderators and those working behind the scenes to keep the show on the road, and the herd more or less in line.  Hopefully the team will also be able to have something of a break to recuperate over the Summer: it’ll certainly have been well-deserved.  I’m sure I’m far from alone in wanting to say a thankyou.  Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mcowgill said:

Depends on your database and storage system technology.   We moved our business system's 4Tb database from New England to Texas with an outage of around 10 minutes last year, but to get that capability we pay eye watering sums for software and support.

It's primarily a matter of counting all the sheep in two duplicate databases for a few days right up to the move. 

Martin

Therein lies the difference.

A business system where  eye watering expenditure can be justified

is a bit different from a forum which for many of the users is

supplied as a free service and relies, to a certain extent on the

goodwill of the company running it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hopefully the team will also be able to have something of a break to recuperate over the Summer:

Oh, if only!

We seem to have a very busy late summer and autumn ahead of us.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, rab said:

Therein lies the difference.

A business system where  eye watering expenditure can be justified

is a bit different from a forum which for many of the users is

supplied as a free service and relies, to a certain extent on the

goodwill of the company running it.

Our Payroll and HR system which is run by a large company goes off line for a whole day when a new release is added so there are more databases in the same boat. What is a few hours without it anyway.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks to Michael for a successful transfer today; all seems to be functioning as it should.

I'll monitor performance now and cross fingers that everything works as it should.

Well done everyone.

Is it true that the post I am quoting is the reason for adding the 'applause' reaction? ;)

• RMweb Gold

Andy, I hope you get a short rest now!

I hope all now goes well.

Just one point, I tried to send you a PM  a few minutes ago,  but it says that you cannot receive messages.  I sent a message instead to the Contact us bit at the bottom of the page.

Is this correct?

David

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Just one point, I tried to send you a PM  a few minutes ago,  but it says that you cannot receive messages.  I sent a message instead to the Contact us bit at the bottom of the page.

Did you try send it to my old Andy Y login David or this AY Mod account?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Our Payroll and HR system which is run by a large company goes off line for a whole day when a new release is added so there are more databases in the same boat. What is a few hours without it anyway.

Our database, which is managed by a third party but hosted locally, replicates every 5 minutes to the third party's datacentre - we are their biggest client and one of the oldest. Some of the smaller and more recent clients have theirs hosted within the datacentre. They say we are too big to do that (I don't really get that as Facebook is a quadrillion times bigger and that manages from datacentres just fine...) so we are stuck with local. They say if we ever have to fail over to the replicated version we would need to drive our existing server to their datacentre to get it back when the issue is resolved. I hate being lied to but we're stuck with them as it's a very niche product.

We're up to 8 years of not needing the replica so the clock is definitely ticking!

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Good question Eric; I've removed some of the numbers for commercial reasons but attached a chart showing the year-on-year differences.

GA 22072018.jpg

Over the winter the numbers had been pretty similar and as soon as the 23rd March came there was an increase in traffic leading to April being 46% higher than last year and May 35% higher and it's only now that the numbers are coming back down to normal. If the guvment wanted graphs showing whether people were staying at home they could have asked me. ;)

Andy 

Thank you. 

That is a really interesting metric of the effectiveness of lockdown. I think my only surprise is that, given the segment of the population that frequents RMWeb, we are so nearly back to normal life.  I hope that it stays that way.

Best wishes 

Eric   

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Did you try send it to my old Andy Y login David or this AY Mod account?

Ah, that's why it didn't work, I sent it to AndyY  not AY Mod.

I'll try to remember next time.

Many thanks.

David

5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

How about the new "clap" button. ;) Just think, you can give someone the clap on RMweb..!!! :tease:

5 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Oh, I thought it was a ‘reminder to wash my hands after modelling’ icon.

I've just worked it out - it's a subversive way to put down rubbish comments or  modelling, whilst appearing to be polite... as in "what a piece of clap". :spiteful:

Works for me.... :yes: :mosking:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

A question perhaps for @AY Mod - my impression is that since the server switch the threads that I follow certainly load quicker - which is good!, however, it also appears to me that images load more slowly, so that picture-heavy threads take some time to fully load.

I have no means of scientifically measuring this and will admit that I have 'glacially slow broadband', but I wondered whether others had experienced this?

Tony

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

however, it also appears to me that images load more slowly, so that picture-heavy threads take some time to fully load.

Hi Tony, it shouldn't be so as the images are still where they were but I'll give it a looking at.

• Thanks 1

On 22/07/2020 at 22:27, F-UnitMad said:

I've just worked it out - it's a subversive way to put down rubbish comments or  modelling, whilst appearing to be polite... as in "what a piece of clap". :spiteful:

Works for me.... :yes: :mosking:

I've noticed that the "sort" of the emojis has been altered too, all my favourites have migrated and it takes ages to track them down!  :crazy:

(I don't really like having to use the emoji search box to find them either...)