MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Post Office told me mine would be delivered between 10.47 & 13.47 ........................... but, no, they're still in the Six Counties ! ( again )

2 hours ago, McC said:

Generally, if your PO claims delivery, it's at the very least at your local delivery office, we're seeing quite a lag between 'reality' and tracking at the moment unfortunately :(

44 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah no we have all been getting messages saying things are at the office ready for delivery when they are at the Northern Ireland PO!

Another more truthful one follows from local PO in a couple of days…

Yes, I think the Post Office are a little misleading.  On Tuesday I ahd a message to say the parcel was in the Walsall area, then later yesterday it was atill in Northern ireland !!!

Delivery stated for tomorrow morning which will suit me just fine. 

Those loads look really nice Phil

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It may be worth using a file to reduce the thickness of the brake shoes to give a bit more wiggle-room. I've done this before; not too difficult, but you have to watch you don't catch anything else.

That’s not the issue because I am fitting the wheels without any brake gear fitted.  There is, commendably, no clearance issue to deal with, but there’s more to ‘P4/EM’ compatibility than ability to just drop the wheel set in (although that is most welcome).

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick-L said:

That’s not the issue because I am fitting the wheels without any brake gear fitted.  There is, commendably, no clearance issue to deal with, but there’s more to ‘P4/EM’ compatibility than ability to just drop the wheel set in (although that is most welcome).

So have you removed the as-supplied brake gear, in order to make the re-wheeling process easier, or is it for some other reason, please?

If the axles are slightly shorter than the 26mm norm, then my plan would probably be to shorten the Gibson axle by 0.5mm (using an electric drill and a file - done it quite a few times before). Presumably the Accurascale chassis isn't fitted with pin-point bearings? (that might be an alternative - drill the plastic axle guard out and fit waisted bearings).

As regards the weight (and Mike the Stationmaster has reported that they feel light, I haven't had mine yet), I will definitely fit as much lead as I can underneath. I do not propose to fit compensation or springing (for P4), haven't bothered with that for quite some time now, just can't see the point if the wagons stay on the track with the aid of extra weight.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I agree they are light and could use weight. Completely agree that springing something like this isn’t required.

Yes…removal of brake gear required to swap axles.  You can’t swap wheelsets without doing that (you will see why when you get hold of your wagons).

Reducing the axles…really not something I want to waste time doing at this point.  That will be a last resort.  Likely to try the truck tuner (or similar) before that.  You are correct as regards the absence of pinpoint bearing, and I am considering drilling out next with the relevant tool and fitting some.

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with the truck tuner or the fitting of pin point bearings. My wagons don't generally do enough 'mileage' to warrent them (although most of them have them anyway, but I've recently decided not to fit them to converted RTR wagons any more, if I can get away with it).

I suppose the advantage of shortening the axles (which, with respect, seems to me to require about the same amount of time as drilling the axle holes out) is that it is less risky to the overall wagon, in that if the process goes wrong, all you've lost is a Gibson axle (which can be relatively easily and cheaply replaced), as opposed to having potentially 'done something' to the plastic axlebox of an expensive RTR wagon.

• Like 2

As regards the Coil A’s, It’s not about mileage or fine tuning - the wheels sets quite literally will not turn with a replacement AG or Exacto wheelset

You may be right about filing the end of the axles in terms of time saved.  Neither is a good option in my view….particularly when the wagon is described as being designed for easy conversion…which in my book means a wheel swap without filing, drilling and what not (plenty of that to do on the rest of the wagon fleet…).  

However, I’ll be keen to see what you find with yours and what solution you settle on, so please do post your findings.

Edited by Nick-L
Incomplete sentence
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Nick-L said:

I agree they are light and could use weight. Completely agree that springing something like this isn’t required.

Yes…removal of brake gear required to swap axles.  You can’t swap wheelsets without doing that (you will see why when you get hold of your wagons).

Reducing the axles…really not something I want to waste time doing at this point.  That will be a last resort.  Likely to try the truck tuner (or similar) before that.  You are correct as regards the absence of pinpoint bearing, and I am considering drilling out next with the relevant tool and fitting some.

Am I right in assuming the spare brake gear in the MDV (and Coil E) are replacements to be fitted when re-gauging to EM?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can't comment about spare brake gear as I only have the unfitted 21 tonners ( hence the original re-gauging question ) ............ persuading the two recalcitrant brakeblocks out of the way does free up their wheelsets - but they don't stay persuaded and will need surgery to give a permanent solution.

I don't think I've ever fitted brass bearings to a ready-to-run vehicle - BUT I do squidge a little Carr's Microgrease into the hole before fitting pinpoints.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Loads now received ........... with a second set of foam blocks in the packaging - is that normal ?

I think I'll glue the blocks to the underside of the loads so they're easily added or removed together.

Had come to that conclusion too …. Foam blocks a very convenient size! 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Had come to that conclusion too …. Foam blocks a very convenient size! 

Yes indeed, they are designed to allow you to adjust the load level

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 04/10/2021 at 14:44, black and decker boy said:

Just come across this photo

21T minerals at Mossend 1989 by John Dedman

anyone know what flow these were likely to be on please? Coal, coal slurry or scrap?

thanks

edit: just found another which suggests scrap metal.

any insights would be much appreciated still :-)

More 21T minerals by John Dedman

Hi Fran and Team,

My TOPS ones arrived yesterday. Opened and gave them a quick run out this morning. 

Wonderful detail on the underframes and they run free as the wind.

Your work is top quality.

I'll have some more TOPS in the next run please ;-).

I'm modelling those exact scrap metal consists that Black and Decker Boy illustrated above from John Dedmans Mossend photos back in the day. 

Cheers,

Rich.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Growling said:

Hi Fran and Team,

My TOPS ones arrived yesterday. Opened and gave them a quick run out this morning. 

Wonderful detail on the underframes and they run free as the wind.

Your work is top quality.

I'll have some more TOPS in the next run please ;-).

I'm modelling those exact scrap metal consists that Black and Decker Boy illustrated above from John Dedmans Mossend photos back in the day. 

Cheers,

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your kind words and order!

They really have struck a chord with modellers and have been selling fast for us. We must plan another run of them soon!

Cheers,

Fran 

• Like 4

Hi Fran,

Received 3 packs of the vacuum braked 21T wagons on Wednesday from yourselves and very happy. Any Idea when the unbraked versions will reach the model shops as have some on preorder from one of them. Thanks Fred

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi Fran,

Received 3 packs of the vacuum braked 21T wagons on Wednesday from yourselves and very happy. Any Idea when the unbraked versions will reach the model shops as have some on preorder from one of them. Thanks Fred

Hi @Fredo,

Many thanks for your order and glad you’re happy with them! The retailers stock is currently in transit and should be arriving with retailers early next week.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

Further to the reported problems converting to P4, I received my wheels from Alan Gibson this morning (very prompt service) so set about doing my three MDV wagons.

Firstly some comparative measurements done with my digital calipers.

Accurascale; axle length 25.35mm, axle diameter 1.5mm, wheel diameter 11.8mm.

Alan Gibson; axle length 25.90mm, axle diameter 2.0mm, wheel diameter 12.3mm.

With the brake gear removed I found that on my wagons at least the new wheelsets ran quite freely with no adjustments needed. In fact I was surprised how easy they went in considering the longer axle length. 

However fitting the alternative brake gear did cause some binding issues. Partly with the brake shoes rubbing on the wheel treads (possibly due to the larger wheel diameter) but I think mainly due to the link joining the two yokes together. This link passes over the top of the axle and as supplied just about clears the 1.5mm diameter axle but binds quite severely on the 2.0mm diameter Alan Gibson axle. A bit of work with a file on this link plus the faces of the brake shoes soon provided the necessary clearance to allow the wheels to turn freely again.

Maybe I've been lucky with mine I don't know, I'll see if my three Coil A wagons turn out the same.

I do wonder if Accurascale actually tried fitting some EM/P4 wheels during the development stage but hope they take note of these comments and make due allowances on future models. Some comment/feedback from them here would also be appreciated.

On 05/10/2021 at 23:24, Covkid said:

Email received today that four 3 packs of wagons should arrive Thursday courtesy of Royal Mail. Two packs of 21 tonners and two packs of Coil As.  That is a refreshing message that all will be sent together and proves Accurascale are very businesslike.  I bet the lads and lassies unloading the container then parcelling up the goodies will want a breather before the next shipment arrives - whatever that is.  Maybe the Manor ?

• Informative/Useful 3

I seem to be the only one who's tried re-gauging the MDOs ( to EM ) ........ there's no alternative brake gear provided for these ( at least not with my batch ) and, while four out of the six Gibson wheelsets just about clear the brake blocks as supplied, one block fouls on each of the other wagons. I'm not sure whether the blocks are supposed to clear wider-gauge wheels or the brake gear is designed to be repositioned - there does seem to be a 'spare' hole that might suit the end of the safety loop - but nothing shows any sight of moving with a gentle tug.

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Informative/Useful 3

16 hours ago, mike knowles said:

Further to the reported problems converting to P4, I received my wheels from Alan Gibson this morning (very prompt service) so set about doing my three MDV wagons.

Firstly some comparative measurements done with my digital calipers.

Accurascale; axle length 25.35mm, axle diameter 1.5mm, wheel diameter 11.8mm.

Alan Gibson; axle length 25.90mm, axle diameter 2.0mm, wheel diameter 12.3mm.

With the brake gear removed I found that on my wagons at least the new wheelsets ran quite freely with no adjustments needed. In fact I was surprised how easy they went in considering the longer axle length. 

However fitting the alternative brake gear did cause some binding issues. Partly with the brake shoes rubbing on the wheel treads (possibly due to the larger wheel diameter) but I think mainly due to the link joining the two yokes together. This link passes over the top of the axle and as supplied just about clears the 1.5mm diameter axle but binds quite severely on the 2.0mm diameter Alan Gibson axle. A bit of work with a file on this link plus the faces of the brake shoes soon provided the necessary clearance to allow the wheels to turn freely again.

Maybe I've been lucky with mine I don't know, I'll see if my three Coil A wagons turn out the same.

I do wonder if Accurascale actually tried fitting some EM/P4 wheels during the development stage but hope they take note of these comments and make due allowances on future models. Some comment/feedback from them here would also be appreciated.

Thanks for posting your findings Mike.  Good that you get free running on the MDV chassis. I am going to Investigate a couple of other wagons from my 9 coil A’s to see if they are any different to the first one I pulled out.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I seem to be the only one who's tried re-gauging the MDOs ( to EM ) ........ there's no alternative brake gear provided for these ( at least not with my batch ) and, while four out of the six Gibson wheelsets just about clear the brake blocks as supplied, one block fouls on each of the other wagons. I'm not sure whether the blocks are supposed to clear wider-gauge wheels or the brake gear is designed to be repositioned - there does seem to be a 'spare' hole that might suit the end of the safety loop - but nothing shows any sight of moving with a gentle tug.

Hi @Wickham Green too,

The plan for the MDOs was brake gear that was movable (with finescale option notched out) rather then the alternative brake rigging as per MDVs (easier to do due to design of real things!) but it seems that the factory glued them in tight! We have spares due in from the factory in a week or so so we will see what we get there regarding MDO brake gear.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2