REALTRACK models announce Class 143 and Class 144

Andy Y

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Completely random question Charlie, but do you know if anyone has butchered any of your lovely Class 144 models to make a middle coach for a 3 car set? That could be an interesting conversion to see

On my workbench to do pile..............!

Will post as soon as there is progress.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

On my workbench to do pile..............!

Will post as soon as there is progress.

Cheers,

Mick

Look forward to seeing this. 3 car 144s have been a regular on the Harrogate branch since introduction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Glad to hear that you won't be doing a three car one, Charlie, I have a second DC Kits kit waiting to be sliced up to form a three car set, if that goes well I might try the same with a nice Realtrack one.  Do you happen to have any factory rejects / damaged / returned models you might be willing to sell for such a project - two unpowered cars would be ideal!

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear that you won't be doing a three car one, Charlie, I have a second DC Kits kit waiting to be sliced up to form a three car set, if that goes well I might try the same with a nice Realtrack one.  Do you happen to have any factory rejects / damaged / returned models you might be willing to sell for such a project - two unpowered cars would be ideal!

Send a cheque for £50.00 and that might be arranged.   Charlie

How about the four car version? They weren't seen that much but did exist.

The two middle cars each had a cab at one end and the four car unit could be split to work as 2 * half sets.

Clever stuff really.

CONFUSED!    4 Car What???   What Class are we talking about here?????

• RMweb Premium

Methinks Derek is having a little fun.

Even I could work out that he means two (2-car) 144s coupled together.

Cheers,

Mick

Here you go Charlie

A 4 car 143 with the two middle cars each fitted with a cab so that it can be split into two halves of 2 cars each. Apparently they have also made a six car version, but I've never seen it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

How about a bit of cut and shut to make a single car 144? Ideal for small layouts!

I was thinking about converting the Hornby 143 into an articulated unit running on three bogies. Alternatively you could make a longer single unit mounted on bogies to make a modern day bubble car.

• Like 1

Whether an official consideration or mess room discussions I cannot say but I was told by a BR engineer who was assessing a 14X on the Esk Valley that BR had been considering re-building them as you describe with 3 bogies or with a bogie in the middle and the standard axles at the outer (whether practical given their drive on the inner axle I cannot say)

I was thinking about converting the Hornby 143 into an articulated unit running on three bogies. Alternatively you could make a longer single unit mounted on bogies to make a modern day bubble car.

Here you go Charlie

A 4 car 143 with the two middle cars each fitted with a cab so that it can be split into two halves of 2 cars each. Apparently they have also made a six car version, but I've never seen it.

maxresdefault.jpg

These are two separate 2 Car Class 143's coupled together, ALL DMUs can couple together, so you could couple every Great Western 143 together (8 two car sets) and have a

16 coach formation.  The Class 143s are all 2 Car units, 10 X Class 144s (144014-144023) ore 3 car sets & 144001-144013 are two car sets. All 142's are 2 Car sets as were all 141's.

Hope this helps.    Charlie

Charlie, after you taking the time to answer several questions on other threads and explaining the scale of what you are working on, I have really developed quite a high level of respect for you.

These are two separate 2 Car Class 143's coupled together, ALL DMUs can couple together, so you could couple every Great Western 143 together (8 two car sets) and have a

16 coach formation.  The Class 143s are all 2 Car units, 10 X Class 144s (144014-144023) ore 3 car sets & 144001-144013 are two car sets. All 142's are 2 Car sets as were all 141's.

Hope this helps.    Charlie

(Is this an example of Charlie's well known incredibly dry sense of humour or does he really not realise I was joking?- Charlie, I'm sorry I really am. You are too busy to be asked to respond to what laughingly passes as my sense of humour- after all you are working on your new DMU- remind me again what class it is please...)

Edited by Derekstuart

Charlie, after you taking the time to answer several questions on other threads and explaining the scale of what you are working on, I have really developed quite a high level of respect for you.

(Is this an example of Charlie's well known incredibly dry sense of humour or does he really not realise I was joking?- Charlie, I'm sorry I really am. You are too busy to be asked to respond to what laughingly passes as my sense of humour- after all you are working on your new DMU- remind me again what class it is please...)

It could also be Charlie's clever sales pitch, aimed at getting you to buy more Pacers! ;)