Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I aren't sure how you can use prototypical authenticity as a stick to beat DCC with when it facilitates more authenticity than DC in terms of functionality.

For my part, I AM NOT sure that I did use a stick to beat DCC - I AM sure that I merely observed that there is a sector of the current market that is more interested in electronics than prototypical authenticity. I certainly didn't say that this applied to the entire DCC fraternity.

This does not have to be a DC / DCC battle - I simply set out my own perspective.

Let's not let matters get tribal!

CJI.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

For my part, I AM NOT sure that I did use a stick to beat DCC - I AM sure that I merely observed that there is a sector of the current market that is more interested in electronics than prototypical authenticity. I certainly didn't say that this applied to the entire DCC fraternity.

No, but it sounded IMO like you seemed to think that the additional realism it brings was more than counteracted by people who weren't interested in prototypical realism, despite one of the main draws for it for a lot of us being the options it brings in terms of realism. TBH most of the rule 1ers I have seen have a 6x4 roundy roundy on DC rather than a full on DCC sound setup. I get the impression most people who want DCC want it to help them control their layouts in a more realistic way and have the benefits of sound and lighting.

8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Let's not let matters get tribal!

I definitely aren't trying to do that. I appreciate why people keep using analogue, I aren't sure you appreciate why people use DCC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

..... I aren't sure you appreciate why people use DCC.

I certainly do - because they feel that the extra cost and complexity provides additional interest for them.

It just doesn't do it for me, and it's not my idea of railway modelling; (with intentional emphasis on that last word).

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Personally I like the fact that we have all the gadgets and gizmos on our models now. From spinning fans to engine room lights and speakers pre-installed (although I wish they would use better ones). At the same time, as some have said they enjoy detailing there models with crafted parts and kits, I rather enjoy opening a model and fitting a double iPhone speaker and a sound chip. Both are types of modelling, both have values, skills and just because you don't think they sound right or that the lights don't exist when in the period you model. On a class 47 they were there and being able to make better use of them is more prototypical. Just as a steam engine having a glowing light in its firebox is more prototypical. So the advancement of chips and DCC is a good thing, at the same time if your happy to just lift the model up and flick a switch to turn them off brilliant, you can. But how you choose to run  your layout is up to you, it is your layout! Some will study photos and check train lengths and consists to be accurate. Some will go I like that colour I want that one (little Britain moment). It's our collection and our choice, respect everyone's opinion.

Also guys this thread has massively derailed away from the topic of class 47's so before our headteacher Mr. Y gets involved let's leave it there and get back to the actual model.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I certainly do - because they feel that the extra cost and complexity provides additional interest for them.

It just doesn't do it for me, and it's not my idea of railway modelling; (with intentional emphasis on that last word).

CJI.

I'm not sure what using DC or DCC has got to do with "modelling".  Are you suggesting that a medium to large DC layout with dozens or even hundreds of wires going to a control panel covered in buttons and toggle switches is modelling whereas something employing DCC and electronics isn't? 

I get the issue with cost.  I get the issue with the need to have some computer type skills to set it up and get the best out of it.  I get personal preference.  I even get resistance to change.  However the suggestion that a DC layout is modelling and a DCC one isn't.  Nope; not having that.

Edited by DY444
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, DY444 said:

I get the issue with cost.  I get the issue with the need to have some computer type skills to set it up and get the best out of it.  I get personal preference.  I even get resistance to change.  However the suggestion that a DC layout is modelling and a DCC one isn't.  Nope; not having that.

I was referring to that sector of the DCC camp that seems to be primarily interested in the electronic aspects of the hobby; not DCC users in general.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I was referring to that sector of the DCC camp that seems to be primarily interested in the electronic aspects of the hobby; not DCC users in general.

CJI.

But equally there was a branch of the hobby that was introducing all sorts of complexity through electronics but on DC based systems (working block signals etc). I feel that divides are being drawn where none really exist.

Basic DCC is very simple, as is basic DC.

Roy

• Agree 1

Until the Accurascale 37 turns up it is hard to say. I suspect the answer depends more on whether you would prefer a 37 or a 47 because in terms of RTR the 47 is very good and both are likely to be the best 'off the shelf' representations of either prototype

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, confused said:

I am torn between a green 47 and an Accurscale 37.  Is this Bachmann up to the same quality as the Accura is likely to be.  I am DC only.

Just get both is my approach… then you can compare and decide for yourself whether to get a second 37 or 47…

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Just get both is my approach… then you can compare and decide for yourself whether to get a second 37 or 47…

OAP so not an option.

23 minutes ago, confused said:

OAP so not an option.

I’d say wait until the 37 is released then, sure to be better. The 47 is good but if you can only get one then the attention to detail, competitive pricing and specification of AS is market leading in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, confused said:

I am torn between a green 47 and an Accurscale 37.  Is this Bachmann up to the same quality as the Accura is likely to be.  I am DC only.

Personally I buy things when I see them in shops etc. I can go and look at a B 47 and make my mind up. Not sure how long I will have to wait before I can see if the A 37 lives up to all the hype.

If you want a loco now then the B 47 it must be. If you are patient and want to wait and see what you get with the A 37 then you might miss out on the B 47 selling out in the meantime.

I haven't bought either myself yet.  I do keep looking at the triple grey one with intent though

Edited by Nickel Plate

13 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

Defeats the original question you asked re quality not price 

Sort of, dropped my B/man 37 and now waddles along, quite happy at time of purchase a few years ago and still think its a good model and runs superbly.  Will try and get to local model shop (which is 55 mile round trip) and see what discount there doing, they usually match the box shifters.

Cheers all.

Edited by Guest
spelling

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, confused said:

It'd be like choosing between buying ham or cheese for your sandwich, both would be nice but are very different fillings and depends on your mood!

I am imagining from your profile pic you're just after old 60s versions, it's a tricky choice as the 47 looked very pretty in original two-tone BR Green, but there is something rather awesomely ugly, yet beautiful about a shiny new split headcode BR Green 37 without yellow ends!

I'd buy the Bachmann 47 first while you still can and then if the Accurascale 37 looks too tempting then I'll bet you won't lose money on flogging on a 47 at a later date! I have made a small fortune over the years selling on stock and yet to lose any money, pretty solid investment I reckon!

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, confused said:

It’s down to personal preference obviously and where your interests lie. I was also choosing between the 2 and ultimately went with the AS 37 on the grounds that as a model it’s something different (ie a new manufacturer, new standard, not ‘just’ another blue or red box) and as a prototype I thinks it’s more ‘useful’, smaller, mixed traffic and I’ve gone for the sound version and 37’s are a little more characterful in my opinion. The Bachmann 47 looks excellent, is a little expensive and I’m happy with the 3 older versions I already have. That’s my rationale anyway :) 

• Like 1

i think ... it all depends if you want a 37 ... or a 47....:)

Seriously though , i reckon the old bachy 47 is 80 % of the new one , but i'd like to think the old bachy 37 is going to be about 65% of the acura scale one ,

So if i needed a new one of either i'd choose the acura 37 and buy SH 47s

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

i think ... it all depends if you want a 37 ... or a 47....:)

Seriously though , i reckon the old bachy 47 is 80 % of the new one , but i'd like to think the old bachy 37 is going to be about 65% of the acura scale one ,

So if i needed a new one of either i'd choose the acura 37 and buy SH 47s

I agree. I think the new Accurascale 37 will be a big step up from the Bachmann version.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/01/2022 at 19:47, Max Legroom said:

I agree. I think the new Accurascale 37 will be a big step up from the Bachmann version.

That may be but I have a lot of 37s. What I haven’t got is a 37/6, so I’m keeping an eye on them. On the other hand, I haven’t got an 81, 82, 83 or 84. Less mainstream, no 01 or electric 70.

As for steam models, a hat could be filled with slips of paper with classes which haven’t been modelled yet. Blindfold Fran and let him pick, let’s say, half a dozen.

(With a new model on average every two and half weeks, perhaps he has already done that.)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, No Decorum said:

That may be but I have a lot of 37s. What I haven’t got is a 37/6, so I’m keeping an eye on them. On the other hand, I haven’t got an 81, 82, 83 or 84. Less mainstream, no 01 or electric 70.

As for steam models, a hat could be filled with slips of paper with classes which haven’t been modelled yet. Blindfold Fran and let him pick, let’s say, half a dozen.

(With a new model on average every two and half weeks, perhaps he has already done that.)

what's this got to do with the new Bachmann 47?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1