Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Gary H said:

I don't normally struggle when it comes to abbreviations etc, but "SFX"???

Presumably sound fitted something or other??:blush:

it means "sound effects" or "special effects" (as the "effects" sounds like FX) in the movie industry, I assume Bachmann are just reusing it in that context

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stonojnr said:

it means "sound effects" or "special effects" (as the "effects" sounds like FX) in the movie industry, I assume Bachmann are just reusing it in that context

SF = Sound Fitted so I’m assuming SFX is Sound Fitted with Xtra’s? (Ie working fans and fancy windscreens!) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

The deluxe versions pretty much sold out within a day or two - I know I dithered for 24hrs before deciding to go for a deluxe Intercity 47, only to find they had sold out everywhere.  Others have suggested it's probably due to them being a strictly limited run, possibly a "toe in the water" exercise by Bachmann to test the market for added value items, which sounds more than plausible, but I was nonetheless astonished to see just how quickly they sold out in not just the big box shifters but a number of smaller outfits I also use.

I think Bachmann has said that it is a toe in the water exercise. There must be an awareness that increasing prices put some people off. My own reaction was rather reluctantly not to buy. First, the model is supposed to be the ultimate version but the Serck shutters don’t move and they are a very prominent feature of the prototype. (I can imagine Richard Proudman muttering, “For Gawd’s sake, how much do they want?”) The fans are less prominent than the shutters but I freely admit that I’m very taken by them. I would have been scraping the barrel to get the green model (pre-Serck) If I hadn’t decided to get a Bachmann green version in 2012. That is, once I had checked that they had had gold foil windscreens when built.

Such are the perils of updating decent models. Nevertheless, Bachmann’s toe in the water has found the right temperature. People are prepared to pay and we can expect more numerous SFX versions in the future. Who knows? Some day even I might crumble. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I think Bachmann has said that it is a toe in the water exercise. There must be an awareness that increasing prices put some people off. My own reaction was rather reluctantly not to buy. First, the model is supposed to be the ultimate version but the Serck shutters don’t move and they are a very prominent feature of the prototype. (I can imagine Richard Proudman muttering, “For Gawd’s sake, how much do they want?”) The fans are less prominent than the shutters but I freely admit that I’m very taken by them. I would have been scraping the barrel to get the green model (pre-Serck) If I hadn’t decided to get a Bachmann green version in 2012. That is, once I had checked that they had had gold foil windscreens when built.

Such are the perils of updating decent models. Nevertheless, Bachmann’s toe in the water has found the right temperature. People are prepared to pay and we can expect more numerous SFX versions in the future. Who knows? Some day even I might crumble. 

I have to admit my first reaction to it was wow I wish theyd done the shutters too  :)  whilst accepting I bet it would be horrendously expensive and complicated to model in 00 gauge reliably. I mean next we'll be expecting automatic doors on multiple units to open, with appropriate sounds via the chip.

But Ill get a Stratford silver roof version I reckon, assuming they do one.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, stonojnr said:

I mean next we'll be expecting automatic doors on multiple units to open, with appropriate sounds via the chip.

OT but Roco have done this in HO Scale... 

Bruce

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stonojnr said:

I have to admit my first reaction to it was wow I wish theyd done the shutters too  :)  whilst accepting I bet it would be horrendously expensive and complicated to model in 00 gauge reliably. I mean next we'll be expecting automatic doors on multiple units to open, with appropriate sounds via the chip.

But Ill get a Stratford silver roof version I reckon, assuming they do one.

Ive wondered on a few occasions, could it have been possible to model this part of the loco using purely an etched part portraying them 'open' as they are 'most' of the time when the loco is under power?? 

Edited by Gary H
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, taliesin said:

Now that it’s been released and people physically have them I’m interested to know how they stack up quality wise against the SLW Class 24 ? The price points are similar so for those lucky enough to own both how does it measure up. 

Hi 

I have both SLW class 24's (4 models including the class 24 Experiment) and the Bachmann 47 deluxe. I think its fair to say that the SLW 24 is better than the 47 in terms of fidelity and accuracy. The 47 is an excellent locomotive and i have the Railfreight model currently with the Intercity Deluxe version coming this month. 

The new Bachmann loco is a step up from the previous version. Regarding comments from some about the rotating fans and coloured windows and them not being worth the extra money, i would disagree. Modelling is about pushing the boundaries and making what we have more realistic and more true to life. This is what manufacturers need to look at and provide. People will always pay the premium. Hornby, Bachmann and Cavalex have rotating fans on their commissioned/production models and they are selling albeit Hornby removed their version because it sapped power from the motor but i bet you they are looking at them again!

Bachmann have done really well with the 47 and i sincerely hope that they introduce more Deluxe versions for the discerning modeler.  

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Modelling is about pushing the boundaries and making what we have more realistic and more true to life. This is what manufacturers need to look at and provide. People will always pay the premium ……...

SOME people will always pay the premium - the question is how many, and is the profit sufficient to justify the extra effort!

Gadget freaks will, of course; but are lights, sound, fans, doors, etc., etc., essential components of a realistic model railway?

I could afford all these extra bells and whistles, but won't buy the SFX versions; indeed, the first thing I do with models with lights is turn off all the DIP switches!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Hi 

I have both SLW class 24's (4 models including the class 24 Experiment) and the Bachmann 47 deluxe. I think its fair to say that the SLW 24 is better than the 47 in terms of fidelity and accuracy. The 47 is an excellent locomotive and i have the Railfreight model currently with the Intercity Deluxe version coming this month. 

The new Bachmann loco is a step up from the previous version. Regarding comments from some about the rotating fans and coloured windows and them not being worth the extra money, i would disagree. Modelling is about pushing the boundaries and making what we have more realistic and more true to life. This is what manufacturers need to look at and provide. People will always pay the premium. Hornby, Bachmann and Cavalex have rotating fans on their commissioned/production models and they are selling albeit Hornby removed their version because it sapped power from the motor but i bet you they are looking at them again!

Bachmann have done really well with the 47 and i sincerely hope that they introduce more Deluxe versions for the discerning modeler.  

A fine collection of models…. but do you run them together? ;)

Griff

10 hours ago, Riddles said:

I'm surprised nobody seems to care that the SFX versions don't include a Stay Alive capacitor. It's a standard feature with Accurascale and an option with SLW. For the price, it should have been fitted.

I agree, that is the one big thing it is lacking. That and the snowploughs are probably going to be my biggest issues with it.

I think had Heljan got the shape of theirs correct then my money would have been heading that way with a full fleet replacement eventually as they certainly have the better range of models at first release. I think I had about 10 of the first batch on pre order but have subsequently cancelled because of the problems. 

I’ve ordered 2 Bachmann - the SFX 47004, mainly to see if the extras are worth bothering about and a standard 47828. I guess as these kind of complement the existing Bachmann version then full replacement isn’t necessary, or for that matter achievable, unless Bachmann change their usually limited release schedule and up the number of versions available then it would take decades! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Riddles said:

I'm surprised nobody seems to care that the SFX versions don't include a Stay Alive capacitor. It's a standard feature with Accurascale and an option with SLW. For the price, it should have been fitted.

What exactly are stay-alives required for?

My DC trackwork has live frogs, and each length of rail has its own feed from bus wires that extend around the layout. I NEVER get the merest stutter - unless I have failed to set a turnout correctly.

DCC was touted as an foolproof, ultra-simple two-wire system - now it seems that all manner of electronic gizmos need to be added, not to mention the constant enquiries about different decoders, CVs, etc., etc.

If I were a cynical person (!) ;), I would suggest that DCC was invented to keep the electronics industry going!!

CJI.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If I were a cynical person (!) ;), I would suggest that DCC was invented to keep the electronics industry going!!

I would argue that the only people who actually benefit from any technology are those peddling it.

But then I'm a grumpy old luddite :)

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

What exactly are stay-alives required for?

My DC trackwork has live frogs, and each length of rail has its own feed from bus wires that extend around the layout. I NEVER get the merest stutter - unless I have failed to set a turnout correctly.

DCC was touted as an foolproof, ultra-simple two-wire system - now it seems that all manner of electronic gizmos need to be added, not to mention the constant enquiries about different decoders, CVs, etc., etc.

CJI.

Agree a long wheel base heavy diesel with 12 wheel pick up shouldnt need a stay alive even on a layout using dead frogs. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The important caveat is that the old models don't look out of place beside the new ones so I feel users will add to their stable rather than replace them.

And, circumstantially at least, if evidence on Ebay is anything to benchmark by, it appears that the new version is creating renewed interest in all Barwell Brushes, such that prices are staying where they have been for a while, and showing little sign of owners trading-in.  The same appears true of Vi-Trains.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

And, circumstantially at least, if evidence on Ebay is anything to benchmark by, it appears that the new version is creating renewed interest in all Barwell Brushes, such that prices are staying where they have been for a while, and showing little sign of owners trading-in.  The same appears true of Vi-Trains.

And although the time of year might be a factor there hasn’t been the glut of old version 47s on eBay that might have been expected. Plenty of Manors, Deltics and 37s though …….

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Which suggests to me that, in the eyes of the average model railway enthusiast, (including myself), there wasn't a lot wrong with the earlier iterations.

If you don't need / want the electronic gizmos; buy quality secondhand and save money!

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Which suggests to me that, in the eyes of the average model railway enthusiast, (including myself), there wasn't a lot wrong with the earlier iterations.

If you don't need / want the electronic gizmos; buy quality secondhand and save money!

CJI.

I don't have the exact fleet data to hand, but I too was loath to reconcile full-scale replacement of a 20+ strong stud of the earlier iterations, those having displaced an earlier blend of Italian concoctions in the early noughties.