Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Global said:

I may be in a minority but I’m actually glad there isn’t a driver! 

For those who use their locos in both directions or have depots/stabling points they look daft as they’re either at the wrong end half the time or you’d have a depot full of drivers just sat there! Very unproductive! Lol.

I reckon there is a development opportunity here. With direction change the driver could move up and down into the cab just like Thunderbirds. Probably more useful than rotating fans. Could even play the Thundebirds theme tune through the sound chip (for a bit of fun!)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, GD said:

I received my 47004 yesterday and I have compared it with the other grey 47 I have which is 47231, the former 47209.

47004 has really thick yellow paint taking away the sharpness of the detail but still a nice loco, I don't think there was much wrong with the previous bodyshell apart from the surprised look of the number one end marker lights.  The chassis is a vast improvement though. 

20211222_132146.jpg.5b74df2015a234c6289e3187040b4d5f.jpg20211222_132228.jpg.df1311177125eb34ebc4c6433f11496e.jpg20211222_132245.jpg.67a765d1dd9d824968f5006b92eed288.jpg

20211222_133121.jpg

It looks like Bachmann has correctly put the two marker lights on 47004 below the centre line - see https://images.app.goo.gl/Y63VrNss1zvmmDoz6 but I’m not sure that was the case for all 47s. So I wonder if all similar models will in future be the same.

• Informative/Useful 1

Just opened mine and it’s a nice loco but I’m really not seeing big differences from previous model. The under frame is a little more detailed but that’s it. Conclusion- not an awful lot wrong with old model - new one is an evolution to meet modern lighting standards etc. I’ll buy more if they come in liveries / versions I want (47711) but certainly doesn’t warrant a whole scale fleet replacement (phew).  The sounds are quite playable and impressed the kids - not sure I’m converted to being a DCC sound guy tho.

M

• Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

It looks like Bachmann has correctly put the two marker lights on 47004 below the centre line - see https://images.app.goo.gl/Y63VrNss1zvmmDoz6 but I’m not sure that was the case for all 47s. So I wonder if all similar models will in future be the same.

I think most 47s had the marker lights this way but 47581 had them in the higher position and I think it 5019-51061.jpg.1177d46ef3c62eedb092811c88815368.jpgwas unique in this respect

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GD said:

I received my 47004 yesterday and I have compared it with the other grey 47 I have which is 47231, the former 47209.

47004 has really thick yellow paint taking away the sharpness of the detail but still a nice loco, I don't think there was much wrong with the previous bodyshell apart from the surprised look of the number one end marker lights.  The chassis is a vast improvement though. 

20211222_132146.jpg.5b74df2015a234c6289e3187040b4d5f.jpg20211222_132228.jpg.df1311177125eb34ebc4c6433f11496e.jpg20211222_132245.jpg.67a765d1dd9d824968f5006b92eed288.jpg

20211222_133121.jpg

The old model stands up very well there, but I'd say overall the new one has the edge on capturing the look of the real thing - and so it should!

You probably wouldn't notice most of the differences until comparing them up close like this though. I don't think anyone should be worried that it might show up their older Bachmann models. Picked up a couple of blue 47012's myself, they will get renumbered and join the rest of the Bachmann fleet.

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Matt said:

Just opened mine and it’s a nice loco but I’m really not seeing big differences from previous model. The under frame is a little more detailed but that’s it. Conclusion- not an awful lot wrong with old model - new one is an evolution to meet modern lighting standards etc. I’ll buy more if they come in liveries / versions I want (47711) but certainly doesn’t warrant a whole scale fleet replacement (phew).  The sounds are quite playable and impressed the kids - not sure I’m converted to being a DCC sound guy tho.

M

Oh there are....

IMG-20211222-WA0010.jpeg.0e4d16626d545a8ce085289314989962.jpeg

7 hours ago, GD said:

20211222_133121.jpg

A good comparison! Thanks.

Its probably the camera angles but in the first head on I thought the old one was looking a bit slim! 

It does however highlight how much nicer the new window frames are on the new effort which will be more noticeable on full yellow ends.

I much prefer the look of the new underframe which seems a big step forward. 

Anyhow I'm thinking this model does highlight a few challenges manufacturers might have when improving models that most people are already happy with! The differences are quite subtle... which shows the older stuff isn't that bad at all.

• Agree 1

Something I’ve noticed on my 47004 that I’m not sure about - either a detail I’ve never noticed on real thing or a potential error. The issue is on the cantrail grill - as you look at locomotive side on with cooling fans at right end, the potential error is on the cantrail  grills immediately behind the left cab. The vertical bars stop short of the top of the grill by a couple of mm and look odd. I wondered if it was just mine but looking at images online of both 47375 and 47004 models on retailer sites you can see this in the images. It’s not a big issue but I’m curious whether the model is right and this is something I’ve never noticed (in which case kudos Bachmann) or a potential error? Thoughts?

M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The issue is on the cantrail grill - as you look at locomotive side on with cooling fans at right end, the potential error is on the cantrail  grills immediately behind the left cab. The vertical bars stop short of the top of the grill by a couple of mm and look odd

Is this the lift out grill on the prototype? Mention was made of this on the announcement video, a feature that's not been modelled on an RTR 47 before. Not sure if it's this grill or one of the others, but see here 20 mins in.

Jo

• Thanks 1

Jo you’re absolutely spot on - it does appear to be the lift out grill and you can see in the video that the vertical bars stop short as I had noted. Kudos to Bachmann on picking up a detail such as this. M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just took the plunge and brought the RFD one. I was contemplating 004, I’d like to refinish as it was when it ended it’s days with EWS, I will see what the RFD one is like first before committing to the new one for the base model. I did notice on the bay of E while looking for a potential donor, that an older model, Intercity livery, was currently at £180 odd for a non sound model, some one clearly wants that version. 

1 hour ago, Ncarter2 said:

Just took the plunge and brought the RFD one. I was contemplating 004, I’d like to refinish as it was when it ended it’s days with EWS, I will see what the RFD one is like first before committing to the new one for the base model. I did notice on the bay of E while looking for a potential donor, that an older model, Intercity livery, was currently at £180 odd for a non sound model, some one clearly wants that version. 

Gonna paint it green then ?

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Gonna paint it green then ?

Green, and with the head code panel. 
Appreciate there is a green 47,  but it doesn’t have the marker lights, not sure if these would be wired for fitment?

18 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

Green, and with the head code panel. 
Appreciate there is a green 47,  but it doesn’t have the marker lights, not sure if these would be wired for fitment?

Surely it would be easier to install / wire in a headlight, as appose to retrofit a headcode box on to a model that doesn't have one? That's before the re-spray, although granted they have not yet announced a green model with Serck radiators in the new tooling.

Cameron   

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

depends which model it is, there was an InterCity model (Rail Riders) that was a limited edition.....having said that...the average "asking" price for vitrains 47s has shot up recently...interestingly...im yet to see an SFX 47 on ebay i would be intrigued how much anyone is prepared to pay for one of those given they are out of stock pretty much every where across each livery.

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

Surely it would be easier to install / wire in a headlight, as appose to retrofit a headcode box on to a model that doesn't have one? That's before the re-spray, although granted they have not yet announced a green model with Serck radiators in the new tooling.

Cameron   

I don’t doubt it probably would be, but as you say there is then the radiators to consider. I will wait for the RFD one to arrive and then decide. Either way, will be good to do some modelling. 

I’ve not taken top off mine as came sound fitted. Am pretty sure Hornby mag’s review showed internals - pretty likely others will too. The running is good - smooth and silent. I’m not sure I’d agree old model was grindy- I have more than 20 and would say they are a little variable with more than half being smooth and silent- there are one or two that are really quite grindy but in my experience that wasn’t the norm. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1