Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

When the embargo ends = you tell me.

Talking to a retailer yesterday they won't get to place their orders until the 12th so how would they know how many pre-orders they can take before anything is sold out?

We have been led to believe by Hornby that Tier 1 Retailers can order from 10th January and Tier 2 Retailers from the 24th.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 06/01/2022 at 12:40, nathan70000 said:

I see the Class 89 has been brought up...

I certainly wouldn't rule it out, it would match well with the range of late 80s/early 90s ECML stuff Hornby have built up (buffered HST, Class 91) and it would perhaps explain why the Accurascale one doesn't seem to have gone anywhere. It also has that legendary one-off status that Hornby seem so attracted to as of late.

Hmmm

Having seen the RRP price the Class 91 has reached after 1st January I really hope Hornby leave the Class 89 to another manufacturer. If thats going to get done and that kind of price, I'd prefer it to be properly

• Agree 6

21 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

We have been led to believe by Hornby that Tier 1 Retailers can order from 10th January and Tier 2 Retailers from the 24th.

so the Tier 2 retailers will really get the scraps of whatever hasn't already been sold by Tier 1. Wow!!

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The time doesn't really matter.  What does matter will be whether there is actually anything there to order (even if they're in Tier 1) and even more so whether or not they will actually get what they order (even if they are in Tier 1).  ;)

If there's something I think will be a hot seller I'll probably just order it on their website IF I can actually get on it. I aren't going through the carry on of last year wondering if I was or wasn't getting something when they shuffled their deck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Of course the 7.00 video may tell you next to nothing but muggins here will have to watch it to determine the appropriate course of action on releasing the info.

3 hours of "Hornby's Greatest Hits" to get us all excited for the new range at 10am?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, GordonC said:

so the Tier 2 retailers will really get the scraps of whatever hasn't already been sold by Tier 1. Wow!!

Which is why I would never invest money in a model shop. 

No names, no pack drill.  I have heard tell that a couple of years ago the owner of a model shop retired and sold the long established business to a reliable soul who had worked for him.  Hornby's response was "new account, dropped to tier 2" which meant that the shop was unable to access all the glitzy stuff for the Centenary.  Net result: everyone went 5 miles up the road to another shop and the supposedly new business nearly bit the big one.

What a way to encourage your retailers?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
On 22/12/2021 at 17:00, AY Mod said:

Clockwork, System 6, magnadhesion, synchrosmoke and chuffing sandpaper; set the DeLorean for 1972.

Bit different for me, sailing around the Caribbean and the east coasts of North and South America while been paid for doing it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

So is Hornby's current business model to make purchasing from their retailers such a minefield of uncertainty that they drive people to their own website so everything is sold at full rrp?

That would appear to be the case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GWR8700 said:

Is there a way of finding out who is in tier 1 so as not to avoid disappointment?

If I remember from last time the topic came up, hardly anyone.

It was mostly massive retailers such as Argos and ironically enough House Of Fraser who went bust not long after having an article in the press about them selling Hornby at their flagship Edinburgh store (now closed).

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was mostly massive retailers such as Argos and ironically enough House Of Fraser who went bust not long after having an article in the press about them selling Hornby at their flagship Edinburgh store (now closed).

Jason

Argos? Really, but they don’t help you they just put goods to the side. And ask you to stand in the queue for a replacement. I thought part of the idea of the tier system you needed to be able to help with repairs or is that just tier 2, and so model shops are all tier 2. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

No names, no pack drill.  I have heard tell that a couple of years ago the owner of a model shop retired and sold the long established business to a reliable soul who had worked for him.  Hornby's response was "new account, dropped to tier 2" which meant that the shop was unable to access all the glitzy stuff for the Centenary.  Net result: everyone went 5 miles up the road to another shop and the supposedly new business nearly bit the big one.

What a way to encourage your retailers?  

That would be unlikely as the tier system was introduced a year after the centenary products were released.

Centenary 2020

Tiers           May 2021

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Weird.

I assumed it was going to be smaller model shops.  Strange system

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, farren said:

Argos? Really, but they don’t help you they just put goods to the side. And ask you to stand in the queue for a replacement. I thought part of the idea of the tier system you needed to be able to help with repairs or is that just tier 2, and so model shops are all tier 2. 

No. The tier system was about retail not servicing.

Someone will provide the proper criteria, but it was more about first impressions, cleanliness and finance. If you have a dingy little shop like Arkwright's then you are bottom of the list I'm afraid.

Don't forget this includes retailers that may just sell a few items. It's not just about model shops.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

Do Canadians use US style dates, or sensible ones?  That could be the 1st of October. ^_^

Both as the will takes them, but the educated ones do know how to spell harbour! 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2