Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

6 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Rapido have said that there's will work with Hornby's coaches, so I wouldn't worry too much about that

"It won't couple"

All you need is some scale chain off a model steam roller

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Monk Bar Modelshop in York are Tier 1.

I will hazzard that most decent bricks and mortar model shops will also be in Tier 1 too.

I believe that a tier 1 shop was required to stock the full range of Hornby products,  not just the model train range.

• Like 1

Continuing the theme of LNER oddballs, a V4 would go down well I would’ve thought. Only two, named, several different liveries including apple green, and a new-build project to commence in the near future. 

With Rapido putting out an announcement on Thursday, I’m wondering what the two companies are going head to head on (if at all?). Must be a locomotive, I can’t imagine Rapido would be rivalling Hornby to that extent on their big day for a wagon or carriage. 

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 1

Sounds like it just got spicy!

Taking a guess, I think one item being announced monday will be duplicated by both Rapido and Hornby.

Unless I have misremembered, I thought it said in the Engine Shed when the Coronation sets were announced that they were one of 3 large projects

I predict an LNER Coronation/Silver Jubilee set of coaches.

Based on the TV show, I think there will be some smoke/steam fitted models.

I predict this every year and I am always wrong but that won't stop me once again predicting there will be either an LSWR T3 or a Caley 439 class.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

I believe that a tier 1 shop was required to stock the full range of Hornby products,  not just the model train range.

We stock; Hornby, Airfix, Scalextric, Corgi and Humbrol. Thats the full range for Hornby products within the criteria. Still Tier 2.

We know Tier 1 shops that just sell Hornby and Humbrol. Confusing isn't it?

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

If people think that their interest has been neglected I would like them to cast their minds back to Hornby Dublo 3 rail.  For Southern modellers the only goods train they could run was a rake of southern region meat vans hauled by a rebuilt West Country with no Southern Region brake van.  I have always found that Hornby with its roots in Tri-ang and not in Hornby Dublo has supported Southern Region modellers and I hope to see a new Southern Region engine or coach in the 2022 range but I would also be pleased to see new items from other regions.

P1020662.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GordonC said:

so the Tier 2 retailers will really get the scraps of whatever hasn't already been sold by Tier 1. Wow!!

You can sense another shambles in the making ! 

Are we sure the 7am YouTube video is correct. Seems an incredibly unlikely time to make announcement . I would suspect they’ve got it wrong and that it actually is 10 ! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Legend said:

You can sense another shambles in the making ! 

Are we sure the 7am YouTube video is correct. Seems an incredibly unlikely time to make announcement . I would suspect they’ve got it wrong and that it actually is 10 ! 

This is the plan. Hornby got worried over Rapido, so they hatched a plan. Everything new will be on sale to order right away. They have a 30 minute avantage over Rapido to grab the Lion's share of pre-orders. They believe this 30 minute advantage will have everyone drooling and spending money with them right away. Rapido then announce theirs and they will only have the scraps from peoples budgets to pick up.

Very subtle yet cunning....

But will their website be able to cope???

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

We stock; Hornby, Airfix, Scalextric, Corgi and Humbrol. Thats the full range for Hornby products within the criteria. Still Tier 2.

We know Tier 1 shops that just sell Hornby and Humbrol. Confusing isn't it?

ah see I think you’re looking for a rational set of rules there , whereas they appear to make it up as they go along.

You know it is annoying . I was brought up as Tri-ang then Tri-ang Hornby and then Hornby as respected names . I have to say this latest iteration of management are certainly tarnishing the image . 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I view the tier system as follows:

Tier 1 sit at the dinner table

Tier 2 are the "dogs" around the table awaiting scraps to be thrown to them

Tier 3 are the kitchen staff who get to scrape the plates for what is leftover after the meal is finished

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Whilst transition era seems to have gradually overtaken the GWR branch as the most popular, I do see evidence on here that a lot more people are moving on towards sectorisation now.

Which makes sense - sectorisation is your 40/50 year olds who traditionally are the big spenders in the hobby as they return from raising a family.

13 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Trends move with the age of modellers but I cant really see multiple units becoming popular - I fear the number actually modelling will just dwindle.

I imagine some decades in the past, a lot of people saying in their local hobby shop (because no Internet of course) variations of "I can't really see diesel units becoming popular, I fear the number of actually modelling will just dwindle".

Given a large number of people in the hobby are happy just running trains in circles whether it is a steam loco with coaches, a diesel with coaches, or a multiple unit of some sort won't matter.

For the rest, they will adapt somehow - either the challenge of electronics to automate the operation of a major station or simply do what many do today - model steam and diesel from before they were born.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

I imagine some decades in the past, a lot of people saying in their local hobby shop (because no Internet of course) variations of "I can't really see diesel units becoming popular, I fear the number of actually modelling will just dwindle".

I'm sure there was lots of comments in the Railway Modeller of the late 60's saying this sort of thing! 

(Before my time...)

Luke 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I'm sure there was lots of comments in the Railway Modeller of the late 60's saying this sort of thing! 

(Before my time...)

Luke 

Not really. It was Railway Modeller that coined the phrase Modern Image and tried to get people to embrace the new era.

image.png.4f40de6d796cfc997869bc3ea30dbd7e.png

The other magazines were equally accommodating to the new era, MRC a bit more than Model Railway News mind.  in some ways MRN was still a bit more "take one lathe" than the others but still had things like drawings of diesels and certainly weren't shy of having the new trains on the cover.

Look at March and April.

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Model-Railway-News-1966

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

I view the tier system as follows:

Tier 1 sit at the dinner table

Tier 2 are the "dogs" around the table awaiting scraps to be thrown to them

Tier 3 are the kitchen staff who get to scrape the plates for what is leftover after the meal is finished

The odd thing is, reading the press release fornthe tier systems, there's something along the lines of...

'It will stop high demand items being only available to a handful of.retailers'

When it creates exactly that scenario!

• Agree 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, mdvle said:

For the rest, they will adapt somehow - either the challenge of electronics to automate the operation of a major station or simply do what many do today - model steam and diesel from before they were born.

One other possibility I hadn't thought of, is that modelling preserved railways could become popular in future.

I do think given the economics of buying multiple units especially in this higher cost, higher detail/features era, its less likely this will ever become the most popular area even for those growing up with it.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

One other possibility I hadn't thought of, is that modelling preserved railways could become popular in future.

An imaginary heritage railway, on which the modeller also picked favourite vehicles to survive into the preservation era could have numerous practical advantages.

Rule One would become legitimate, if not compulsory, as would designing the  layout to fit the space available rather than copying  a prototype or basing it on steam-era practice.

Win, win, win?

Sort of freelance but not and, of course, just as difficult to pull off convincingly as that's always been. I suspect there are already quite a few home layouts of the kind, but it would take a very confident modeller to exhibit one.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, mdvle said:

That is exactly the appeal to me. When you see the railcam of York station (as an example, given it is my main area of interest) you see I'd say 3 or 4 times the amount of passenger trains to freight trains. All of those except charters and Nova 3 sets are multiple units.

Luckily for me, it is reasonably well covered.

LNER 800s, 2 on the way

TPE mk5s, 2 on the way

Northern 150, already have

Northern 156, on the way

XC 220/221, price of existing models not worth it

XC HST, on my list but I missed them last time due to financial constraints

That leaves TPE 802s, GC 180s, Northern 158s and Northern 195s as about the only things not covered, all of which I'd like.

I have a 6 platform station (I am considering calling this "Yorkshire Parkway" or something as I see it as a fictional ECML station south of York) on my automated layout and the idea is to make sure there is a good mix of units stopped in the station with freight moving through to create a realistic looking stock situation. That is also why I have multiple sets on order as having 2 of the same set in a station at the same time happens all the time.

If all the units listed above came to be I'd probably sell some of my freight stock to accommodate, at the moment the freight is pretty much all I can run!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A class 180 is to me a nice choice, they've spread themselves around a bit.

Electrostar is the big gap, though I suspect that may get filled sooner than later.

A 185 isnt too bad a choice either.

These are the imo are the best choices.

Things like Flirts, or 195’s haven't yet got the geography or the liveries behind them, and may struggle in the short term.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Due to most freight avoiding the station.

I meant the cams collectively including the avoider. Not sure I can post a screenshot of Railcams data but looking at Colton Junction as an example of the traffic flow (because there isn't anywhere I am aware of nearer York that covers everything that goes through the station and the avoider) and (during the day at least) there is far more passenger work than freight. Also bear in mind the avoider isn't used for most southbound freight.

• Like 1

I'm  thinking Hornby may offer a pre-grouping loco, but pre-grouping with a twist, in the early 1960's BR brought back several veterans,  the Jones 4-6-0 and Caley 123,  perhaps Hornby will bring back a retooled CR123 or launch a Jones Goods or a Gordon Highlander 4-4-0,  they could mix with BR Mark 1 coaches from their work on specials,  time for something a bit different!

• Like 8