Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

1 minute ago, Hippel said:

On YouTube at 0700 on Monday, Hornby are doing a big reveal. Just noticed it pop up in my subscriptions on YouTube.

Paul

Interesting, I wonder if we can crash YouTube as well as the Hornby site...

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Hippel said:

On YouTube at 0700 on Monday, Hornby are doing a big reveal. Just noticed it pop up in my subscriptions on YouTube.

Paul

Monday mornings commuter services are going to have to be delayed so everyone can get a look in.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

The trends for this have been seen for much longer than the last 2 years - more like the last 10 to 15. It will take more than 2 years for most model railway projects to come from decision to be made to actual delivery to retailers. When looking over that time span there has been a dominance of Southern stuff but that also comes from stuff more regional and period specific too. However, there have has been a period of Southern grouping stuff done and perhaps that is where the SR is fading overall as other choices now become equally as viable. We shall just all have to wait a little longer to see what Hornby do next. 

Was it a trend or just filling gaps ?

in the 1980’s there was a real GW trend to modelling, that shifted to LMS in the 1990’s.

The last 2 decades has seen a lot of SR investment, followed by LNE investment.

When you look at it, manufacturers don't have much further to go, for commercially viable steam models… sure theres any number of obscure SR /LNE little black 6 wheeled goods, but just because there is a gap, it doesn't mean theres a sufficient market to fill it.

Going full circle, the GW is looking more of an outlier.. the Saint, the County (4-6-0 and 4-4-0) are very old. The 61xx, 78xx has only just been re-done.

Naturally follows the LMS may have a few revisions to locos like the Black 5, 8f and some new tanks.

if anything is a gap, its the post 2000 era. But equally I think there is a growing market in pre-1921 railways, and several late 19th century prototypes could be of interest. Given person size constraints, industrial modelling is also an easy to fill space in small diaoramas.

Technology in China is now such, that from basic drawings, supported by photographs they are able to create very detailed cads, even when the originals no longer exist.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

To be honest whilst I'm interested to see what Hornby announce  all of my excitement is already invested in what Accurascale will deliver this year which we've known about for months and seen plenty of pre production images of already.

I genuinely wish Hornby well but they need to focus on delivering what they have already promised, upping their quality (too many broken models this year), keeping abreast of technical developments (especially DCC compatibility) and seeing what their competitors are offering for similar or lower RRP's.

Or perhaps we have it wrong here and Hornby see themselves as primarily interested in the toy market (Railroad, Steam Punk and whatever Hannahs pre school range is called) and the collector market (high end one offs like the W1 and the APT) whilst sales to railway modellers are just a happy bonus where their world and ours happen to coincide?

Perhaps thats why I'm more excited by what Accurascale, Bachmann, Dapol and Heljan are planning - maybe even in that order!

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Technology in China is now such, that from basic drawings, supported by photographs they are able to create very detailed cads, even when the originals no longer exist.

Detailed, but not necessarily accurate...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Theres a lot of stuff still not delivered.

Whats the point in announcing 2/3 new locos if the 2022 price ends up not meaning anything, and ability to deliver in 2022 might not be there either ?

it risks being a Manufacturers own wish list.

if we have (4x 10%) 40% price increases between now and 2024 when it may arrive all it does is bring bad will against them, as people rail against the “starting” price versus the “delivered” price, and the perception of delays.

it might be better in that regard to take Bachmanns approach, of saying little, withholding price until its certain / clear the delivery schedule, and setting the price then.

For 2022, maybe dump the catalog in favour of a “Hornby book of trains”  based on what they do have in stock and are able to deliver in 2022 and with prices that can be honoured ?.. save the good will that way… 

over promising and under delivering is a rod for the back of any company.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Detailed, but not necessarily accurate...

But if no ones seen one in 100 years, and everyone who has, is dead, then there is scope for inaccuracies to pass unnoticed by anyone.

The alternative of course, without any surviving drawings, without a prototype.. is what ?

In the US one railroad is building a brand new full size steam loco, based of victorian era photographs alone… its possible.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I wonder if there's a market for an all singing/dancing 153.  Lights, sound, central locking lights, etc.  All the train you'd every need for a small M/I layout with tooling options for a 155 also?

Probably not Hornby's bag, but one for one of the more innovative smaller manufacturers. (As I sit here on the CWL marvelling at how thrashy a 153 actually is!)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hippel said:

Paul

Thanks Hornby for making me look stupid n my previous comments We had a briefing which said the embargo was 10.00.

Next year I can save myself some time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

Must be fun being 'in the know' and watching the froth.  

Unbounded enjoyment ;)

Of course the 7.00 video may tell you next to nothing but muggins here will have to watch it to determine the appropriate course of action on releasing the info.

I may just delete any posts made by anyone running round wetting themselves between 07.00 and when I sit down at the desk.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Of course the 7.00 video may tell you next to nothing but mugging here will have to watch it to determine the appropriate course of action on releasing the info.

If it were me Andy, I would now be having stern words with whatever piece of Hornby it is that does press relations "seeking clarification as to what time the embargo actually ends" (read as "bludgeoning them with a big pointy stick") - but then I did study at the richard Nixon School of Diplomacy; motto: why appease if you can escalate".

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I may just delete any posts made by anyone running round wetting themselves between 07.00 and when I sit down at the desk.

So there's a yellow warning of extreme incontinence between 0700 and 1000 covering RMWeb (and Rugeley).

What a pi**er.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

What time do retailers get access to downloading lists so they can update their websites ?

I recall the pre-order scramble for the Dublo merchant navies were all sold out by noon last year. Rocket was a similar story a year earlier.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

If it were me Andy, I would now be having stern words with whatever piece of Hornby it is that does press relations "seeking clarification as to what time the embargo actually ends" (read as "bludgeoning them with a big pointy stick") - but then I did study at the richard Nixon School of Diplomacy; motto: why appease if you can escalate".

CBA anymore.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Moderators
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

What time do retailers get access to downloading lists so they can update their websites ?

When the embargo ends = you tell me.

Talking to a retailer yesterday they won't get to place their orders until the 12th so how would they know how many pre-orders they can take before anything is sold out?

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

So there's a yellow warning of extreme incontinence between 0700 and 1000 covering RMWeb (and Rugeley).

What a pi**er.

Rest assured Hornby will have pooled their resources to avoid any leaking of the release of their forthcoming 4LAV. 

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I recall the pre-order scramble for the Dublo merchant navies were all sold out by noon last year. Rocket was a similar story a year earlier.

The time doesn't really matter.  What does matter will be whether there is actually anything there to order (even if they're in Tier 1) and even more so whether or not they will actually get what they order (even if they are in Tier 1).  No doubt if it goes its usual way within X hours of Hornby being open to orders there will be big smiles all round as they find they have sold every single new item (including the Totfield Firebolt) and then they can sit down to see how many things they've sold twice, or five times over. or pop down to the sea front and count the number of French fishing boats on blockade duty ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

To be honest whilst I'm interested to see what Hornby announce  all of my excitement is already invested in what Accurascale will deliver this year which we've known about for months and seen plenty of pre production images of already.

I genuinely wish Hornby well but they need to focus on delivering what they have already promised, upping their quality (too many broken models this year), keeping abreast of technical developments (especially DCC compatibility) and seeing what their competitors are offering for similar or lower RRP's.

Or perhaps we have it wrong here and Hornby see themselves as primarily interested in the toy market (Railroad, Steam Punk and whatever Hannahs pre school range is called) and the collector market (high end one offs like the W1 and the APT) whilst sales to railway modellers are just a happy bonus where their world and ours happen to coincide?

Perhaps thats why I'm more excited by what Accurascale, Bachmann, Dapol and Heljan are planning - maybe even in that order!

Hi, 

I have to agree with this and have been thinking as such myself for some years. Hornby have done some excellent modern image stuff such as the Class 60, even if their painting and quality control has been deficient/absent. For their own reasons, they prefer to be a toy manufacturer covering mainly steam outline with a fair mix of  good but not amazing modern image examples. That's fine of course and I'm not knocking Mr Kohler, he has been good to me personally over the years but...Accurascale are shaking the market up with amazing models of which I've invested a fair sum already, and that's where my interest now lies. I don't expect anything from Mondays announcement that will interest me, but still wish Hornby well for their future. Unfortunately, I don't see any great improvement to their offerings or quality control any time soon and wonder that with certain prominent staff joining the Accurascale team, if Mr Kohler breaks out in a cold sweat everytime Accurascale have an announcement to make? 

Kindest Regards, 

Shed. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

If you would be so good as to delete all reaction up to the first cads, that would be good!

Why not have one thread for general gushing across all products. It's usually completely irrelevant to anyone except the person posting so doesn't really matter if we know what the actual subject is :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

So is Hornby's current business model to make purchasing from their retailers such a minefield of uncertainty that they drive people to their own website so everything is sold at full rrp?

Not explicitly or immediately, but I've reluctantly concluded that's probably the direction of travel.

John

Don't know if it's significant, but while I was typing the above, one of the adverts on the right of my screen was for an Automatic Milking Machine.:jester::jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 6