Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

During the course of continuing sorting of Mum and Dad's photographs I came across these two which must date from sometime after the 1946 LNER renumbering scheme was applied. The two 2 1/4 inch x 3 1/4 inch contact prints (120 roll film, 8 frames to a roll) would have been taken with Dad's Zeiss bellows camera - which I still have in working order.

328288076_PeterboroughNorth001.jpg.d96534a2366ddb960b3af396e39dbaf3.jpg

400988250_PeterboroughNorth002.jpg.929df17882b0ecacad64967b5b4b4df6.jpg

Hope you like them.

Regards

Chris H

I do indeed like them and thank you for posting.  813 was unique, went to Scotland perhaps fairly soon after the photo was taken, and was in fact one of the final V2s to be withdrawn.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of the most impressive locomotive names have been applied to LNER Pacifics and the Warship and Western classes of diesel. Right for their time I think. Hopefully it will be acceptable to pick a name from each. 

So, I’ll nominate the Peppercorn A1 ‘Madge Wildfire’ and the Western ‘Western Firebrand’.

Physiologists will probably have something to say that both contain the word ‘fire’ , although of course Madge was  crazy young lady! Great fun picking the names Gilbert, thank you!

• Like 1

'Passchendaele',  'Ypres'  or 'Somme'.

The first is a New Zealand Railways Pacific and the only named engine they had, in memory of that terrible battle. The other two are lovely British engines, equally sombre though..

Some of the Jubilees had good names

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

.... and no-one has commented on the Immingham coming the other way?

Looks as though it has a special train number board in front of its chimney?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, I failed to count the failures. There were numerous candidates, more diesel than steam, and no more than 3 votes for any of them. Poor little Baby Deltic got the 3, beating Classes 74 and 21 which registered 2. I didn't think anything could be worse than a Class 21.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jwealleans said:

.... and no-one has commented on the Immingham coming the other way?

6100 judging by the oval buffers if Yeadon is to be believed.

Simon

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

During the course of continuing sorting of Mum and Dad's photographs I came across these two which must date from sometime after the 1946 LNER renumbering scheme was applied. The two 2 1/4 inch x 3 1/4 inch contact prints (120 roll film, 8 frames to a roll) would have been taken with Dad's Zeiss bellows camera - which I still have in working order.

400988250_PeterboroughNorth002.jpg.929df17882b0ecacad64967b5b4b4df6.jpg

Hope you like them.

Regards

Chris H

Is this definitely post-war?  I'm just a bit confused by 6100's condition.  It seems to still have the same oddly spaced number that it had in 1938/39 and appears in this view to have a relatively clean, lined bufferbeam.  I understood that all the B4s received unlined black during the war and only Immingham itself was re-painted green.  Is their any chance this photo is earlier and we are looking at  4813?

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

You seem to have enjoyed the latest poll. There were a lot of contributions, and as might be expected, they were pretty wide ranging, We finish with a dead heat. Wolf of Badenoch, IKB, Madge Wildfire and Flying Scotsman all got two votes.

However, if there is to be a tie breaker, I would say the winner would be locos named after the characters in Sir Walter Scott's novels. Wandering Willie and Luckie Mucklebackit also got votes, and for Madge Wildfire, hardly a widely known loco, to get two is noteworthy. But wot about Dumbiedykes?  Why no votes for that?  I can remember my brother and I laughing immoderately at the D30 names. We didn't have a clue where they came from at the time, of course.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 65179 said:

Is this definitely post-war?  I'm just a bit confused by 6100's condition.  It seems to still have the same oddly spaced number that it had in 1938/39 and appears in this view to have a relatively clean, lined bufferbeam.  I understood that all the B4s received unlined black during the war and only Immingham itself was re-painted green.  Is their any chance this photo is earlier and we are looking at  4813?

Simon

I agree as I cant see any evidence of 813’s strange chimney arrangement. 4813 was a New England engine apart from a brief spell at Doncaster (‘44-‘46), so it fits. The V2 looks like it’s in black wartime livery which I assume it got at its general in 1942, so between Aug ‘42 and Dec’46 (when it got its new number).

• RMweb Premium

Today's poll. I'm sure you are anticipating that the worst names will follow the best, and you will be right. So the most inappropriate, slightly ludicrous, ill fitting or just plain downright awful. I suppose we could have unimaginative, repetitious and boring as well, if you like.

Whatever you do, I would ask that it is wide Grangeing, Hall embracing, and of course good Manored.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I agree as I cant see any evidence of 813’s strange chimney arrangement. 4813 was a New England engine apart from a brief spell at Doncaster (‘44-‘46), so it fits. The V2 looks like it’s in black wartime livery which I assume it got at its general in 1942, so between Aug ‘42 and Dec’46 (when it got its new number).

Simon and "thegreenhowards",

Thanks for your inputs. My attribution to post 1946 was based on an assumption that the spacing of *!£ centred under the cab windows would not leave room for another number in front. I now doubt that reasoning and consequently suggest that the picture(s) are probably late Pre WWII or early WWII.

I am sure I can see lining on the cab of the V2 and the cabside numbers appear to be shaded. The front buffer beam of 6100 is definitely lined.

Dad was conscripted in 1940 and became a POW in 1942 until repatriation in 1945. So with your inputs I think the V2 is actually 4813 and the date sometime upto mid 1940?? - with the probability being circa 1938 / 39 on a weekend visit home to Peterborough. Dad worked for the LCC and lived in lodgings at the time.

Many thanks.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Thanks for your inputs. My attribution to post 1946 was based on an assumption that the spacing of *!£ centred under the cab windows would not leave room for another number in front. I now doubt that reasoning and consequently suggest that the picture(s) are probably late Pre WWII or early WWII.

I am sure I can see lining on the cab of the V2 and the cabside numbers appear to be shaded. The front buffer beam of 6100 is definitely lined.

Dad was conscripted in 1940 and became a POW in 1942 until repatriation in 1945. So with your inputs I think the V2 is actually 4813 and the date sometime upto mid 1940?? - with the probability being circa 1938 / 39 on a weekend visit home to Peterborough. Dad worked for the LCC and lived in lodgings at the time.

Many thanks.

Regards

Chris H

Thanks Chris, that narrows things down a lot. I had two concerns about this being a wartime picture, The first would be whether anyone would be permitted to take photos like this in a place as well frequented as PN without getting arrested. The second is that both the V2 and the B4 look remarkably clean, and that would be unlikely during the war as well. Anyway, we can rule out the later war years now. I agree this is probably 1939, as 4813 wasn't released into traffic till December 38.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Many thanks.

Regards

Chris H

Thanks Chris,

I missed the lining on the cab side, and the number is definitely shaded, so sorry for misleading you there. The boiler looks unlined, so New England muck must have been a pre war feature as well as 1958!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just found this revolting GWR steam loco name. It’s Tartar, of  1876, a 4-2-2, and was withdrawn in 1892. Fancy calling a locomotive after the stuff which forms on teeth! :O

Rob.

• Like 1