Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of lamps, was it on this thread somebody (I think it was Mallard60022) said about scale 3D printed loco lamps? I was just wondering if any progress had been made, as I'm only just starting out I haven't got any lamps yet and I'd rather wait for these ones for the time being if they are going to be produced, rather than get some overscale ones then regret it.

There is a chap that runs Modelu I think it is called and I have asked PMP (Albion Yard) to speak with said chap about these lamps. However, if you can find a website (sorry I have no link) you might be able to contact him direct. I'd certainly be interested in BR ones if 'crowd funding' was required.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

I'm sure it isn't. I was referring to the loco lamp - it's a constant worry of Gilbert's that his are too large.

Then let me know when you make them, I am sure there will be many modellers queuing up to buy them.

David

Edited by landscapes

• RMweb Gold

Then let me know when you make them, I am sure there will be many modellers queuing up to buy them.

David

There really should be a "wooosh" button on this forum, sometimes...

Al.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure it isn't. I was referring to the loco lamp - it's a constant worry of Gilbert's that his are too large.

Not so worried now I stick to Springside's LNER lamps rather than the huge BR ones Jonathan, especially when I remember to weather them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there any mileage in (nominally) N-gauge lamps (loco and wall-mounted)?

This was discussed at some length quite a few years ago but it is possible to try it of course. I never have but will use 2mm scale handrail knobs for 4mm coach top pipes on one of my conversions to see what it looks like.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Today I have been sorely tried, and frankly had about enough of this photography lark. The sun has been even more impossible than usual, and Paint.net too has done all it can to frustrate and annoy me, so in the end I just about gave up, and most of the images went in the bin. Here's what was just about good enough to share, but if things carry on like this there won't be any more, as there must be better things to do with my time than this.

post-98-0-34888800-1437322818_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-60850300-1437322884_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-81309900-1437322929_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-67309600-1437322984_thumb.jpg

This is supposed to be carrying class F lamps, but the camera managed to get a blob of exactly the same colour as the top lamp right behind it, or so Paint.net's so called magic wand thought anyway. It didn't look the same to me, but it seems I don't have any say in the matter.

post-98-0-00101200-1437323174_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-31597600-1437323215_thumb.jpg

Can't even be bothered with captions, sorry. I'm off to find something to kick.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, you are far too hard on yourself, and set yourself impossible standards of photography.

I, and I'm sure many, many other people, would be quite content to look at raw undoctored images of your layout for hours, without any complaint.

Don't beat yourself up about it, they are awesome photos.

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the photos you have provided us with are fantastic. I must admit I tend not to doctor any photos I take, I can't be bothered. I just hope you didn't injure yourself when you found something to kick.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

That's a very handsome B17 Gilbert - whose model is it?

Hornby Peter, but with input from Tim Easter to give it that lovely deep shine. With all the fuss that is going on, yet again, about the perceived, (by some) inadequacies of modern RTR, I personally just can't see how this kind of product could really be further improved, or certainly not at the price we pay for it.

I think the photos you have provided us with are fantastic. I must admit I tend not to doctor any photos I take, I can't be bothered. I just hope you didn't injure yourself when you found something to kick.

Mike

It ran away..... :jester:

Thanks Gilbert, the thing about it that struck me is that the condition suggests it must have been shedded in 64B - as we all know their reputation for spit and polish was unrivalled anywhere other than perhaps Top Shed, yet I can't for the life of me find evidence of a 'Footballer' ever getting that far north. 

If I could there would be one plying the Waverley Route I can assure you!

Don't beat yourself up about the Photoshoppery, the results really are most pleasing, although you may find there is a better alternative to paint.net.

ATB

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, you are far too hard on yourself, and set yourself impossible standards of photography.

I, and I'm sure many, many other people, would be quite content to look at raw undoctored images of your layout for hours, without any complaint.

Don't beat yourself up about it, they are awesome photos.

Al

Thanks Al, and all who hit the agree button. The trouble is that I have found it more and more difficult myself to be satisfied with undoctored images. It is easy when actually operating the layout to ignore the bookcases and other such things, but I've got into this mode where I need to make the images as realistic as I can. I suppose one of my greatest desires when planning this layout was to make it look as much like the real thing as possible, though that wasn't on my original list of priorities.

It is the very strong light that is the most frustrating aspect when it comes to photography. That in turn leads to dissatisfaction with my camera, which is most unfair of me, because it is very good indeed at what it can do. Then finally there is the photoshopping programme, which because of its deficiencies or mine, or a combination of both, creates even more problems.

I suppose yesterday was just a very bad  day, but everything that could go wrong, did, and I found myself questioning why I should want to sit for what seemed like ages in front of the PC trying to produce something acceptable to me, only to find, more than once, that Paint.net had succeeded in removing things like roofs about fifty moves back in the shopping process. Motivation is sadly lacking at present, I'm afraid, and I'm going to have to accept that either I resign myself to what I have, and what it can do, or spend a lot of money on a better camera, and a proper photoshopping programme, which in turn would mean a lot more time spent in front of this thing.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert 

Many years ago before we had digital cameras and photoshop, I worked in the magazine industry and we regularly had to make the best of a bad thing. our photographers preferred to work in studio where they could control the lighting, and many is the bikini feature that we shot from hot golden sandy beaches when in reality we were in a dingy studio in darkest SE1, using nothing more sophisticated than a good photo backdrop and some clever depth of field to ensure it was always slightly out of focus!

Perhaps there is a technique there from which you too could benefit. For his layout, which he started at the tender age of 86, my father bought a roll of lining paper from his local B&Q, giving him a 2 foot wide and very long piece of paper, onto which he painted a blue sky with some fluffy clouds. He lightened the blue from bottom to top so it wasn't too uniform, then stuck it to sheets of 5mm plywood which he set up behind the line.

From your pics, it looks like you could do something similar  with the sky on a series of 4 foot wide by 2 foot high boards - you could potentially get boards an extra 6 inches deep so you could screw them to the baseboard frames.

That eliminates the first problem

The second would be to invest in a some photofloods - check out eBay, or even get a couple of those halogen work lights that builders so love which will flood the scene with bright lighting. You may have to play around with the camera's colour temperature settings, but this would allow you to take your pics when the sun isn't around.

It's an option that would save you investing in Photoshop and give you hours of fun learning how to paint skies. IF it's any help my father used emulsion and poster paints.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yo Gilbert. I hope the squirrel does not attempt a return into the kicking zone anytime soon.

Matey, your pics are inspiring and great without shopping.

I can recommend not getting a dog to sit on PN though as they (well not Smiffy's of course) have scabby arses and will mess up your ballast.

Anyhow, how about dropping off the photography for a while and doing some little tasks you have been postponing for a rainy day? It can be theraputic.......well usually!

This wagon due for works (hot box and various ailments) will need your attention shorthly mate. Lots of fun investigating just how grotty it should look etc.

post-2326-0-11907700-1437385492_thumb.jpg

Then there is the decision on which Engineer's Yard poles you need, sorting their positions and hunting down suitable pics to show shape(s).

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

Hi

Long time lurker/devourer of this thread (amongst others), particularly the photography. 

<grannies and eggs time>

Don't know if you're aware but there is a freeware/open source graphic editor, with all the features you might want and more you'll never need, available at http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

In terms of cutting out the background noise without a backscene, a couple of handily placed sheets of mountboard offer a movable canvas against which to photograph!

</grannies and eggs time>

• RMweb Premium

I'm waiting for my chauffeur to arrive to take me to Moortown for a nice game of golf this afternoon. That's in Leeds by the way, a former Ryder Cup course, and it usually chews us up and spits the pips out. Busy tomorrow and Wednesday too, so it will be Thursday before I have time to do anything railway related, though Wednesday's golf is right next to the GC railway.

I'll then try to take a few shots and put them up unadulterated to show some of the problem areas, which are in fact rather high up, and above where a backscene would go. For example, imagine trying to photoshop the Beast, when immediately behind it was a section of bookcase, containing several different coloured books. :angry: Even worse though is the more subtle type of problem. My cleverly thought out duck egg blue walls often turn out grey when in shadow, and funnily enough just about the same shade of grey as the roofs of the buildings. Thus unless I get the setting just right, and sometimes even when I do, the shopping process will remove a bit of roof, usually way out of shot on the area I am working on at the time.

I have tried taking photos when the sun has gone, but I then have to put the overhead lights on, and even with the correct WB setting I get bleached roofs and a colour cast which just doesn't look right. Off to golf now.