The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I was plagued by a really weird dream. Normally, dreams are very, very quickly forgotten, but even now-a few hours after the dream-I still feel a little unsettled by it.

Lately, with a bad habit in the recent crisis of staying up late watching late night television and sleeping in until mid-morning I find that I dream a lot. Many of them are disturbing. I have found some correlation between "brown spirits" and disturbing dreams, though not exclusively so.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, pH said:

The strongest recorded earthquakes in the US east of the Rockies happened around New Madrid in what is now the state of Missouri in 1811-12. The causes of those quakes are not well understood, either.

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Idaho's Challis earthquake yesterday was not east of the Rockies.

I wasn't implying the Challis quake was east of the Rockies.

What I was trying to say was that there have been other quakes the causes of which are not well understood. The very strong New Madrid quakes, which occurred outside the areas usually associated with earthquakes (i.e the Rockies to the west coast) are some of those whose causes are not well understood.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Just now, pH said:

What I was trying to say was that there have been other quakes the causes of which are not well understood.

I think the "seismologist" on TV that Andy saw was full of __it.  Central Idaho has a recorded history of serious earthquakes.

• Informative/Useful 10

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I think the "seismologist" on TV that Andy saw was full of __it.  Central Idaho has a recorded history of serious earthquakes.

I didn't actually see the guy. It was MrsID who told me. There certainly is a history of serious quakes in the area and that's to be expected due to tectonic action or vulcanism. I think the point was that they are not associated with a known fault that's visible on the surface like, for example, the San Andreas.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

I lived in Southern California from 1986 to 1991. While in California I experienced many earthquakes - more than I can recall.

The first was in late 1986 (I think) when I started dreaming that someone was standing at the foot of the bed pushing it back and forth with one foot. It took a while for me to wake up and realize that it was an earthquake.

In 1989 I experienced a quake (4.6) on the Newport-Inglewood fault. I was at work, very close to the epicenter and visually observed a vertical steel "I" beam (about two feet wide) displaced by about ±3 inches at ceiling height. A visible ripple shot through the ceiling tiles (in a dropped ceiling) through the workspace. This was really dramatic but abrupt. I was sitting in an office chair and felt the seat of the chair shoot up and drop down enough that it was uncomfortable on my backside. This earthquake felt like an impulse.

Relaying the wave in the ceiling tiles, a colleague shared a story of the 1979 Imperial Valley earthquake where he observed a wave moving through the electrical utility poles on the side of the road.

Later in 1989 I was in the Bay Area (Milpitas) for the Loma-Prieta earthquake (6.9) on the San Andreas fault, which was truly terrifying and lasted for what seemed like a very long time. I was in a hotel ballroom while glass light fixtures dropped from the ceiling and shattered on the floor. There was nowhere to run to and I took cover under a table while glass shards pierced the overhanging table cloth right in front of me. I was very conscious of all the hotel floors wobbling above me. Colleagues had stories of trying to come down the stairs with the power out.

Having much later moved to Oregon, we felt the 2001 Nisqually/Seattle earthquake (6.8) which was a long "roller" (as felt in Oregon).

With the prospect of a large Juan De Fuca Subduction Zone earthquake very real here in the Northwest, earthquakes are a force to be feared. When such an earthquake happens, it will be much like the 2011 Tōhoku/Fukushima earthquake in Japan - very similar tectonic forces are at work.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, a thought about quality: very clearly, as others have pointed out, quality costs. And that is the problem as few are willing to pay for that quality as they don’t expect items to last and expect to replace the items in a year or two. Even relatively expensive things have built in obsolescence. My top of the line domestic oven, only 7 years old, is now starting to fail (the plastic retaining clips for the glass door now have material fatigue and one has already snapped off). I am supposed to replace it - which annoys me (if I do,  I won’t be getting an “all singing, all dancing” domestic oven, but a simple professional kitchen oven: just on/off, temperature and even heating throughout). And yet there was a time when “built to last” meant exactly that.

A few minutes on the Net should find some replacement clips, thus saving the cost and aggro of buying a new oven and freeing up lots of m*ddling tokens :)

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s appalling. It really is. I haven’t heard that Italy or Spain are doing the same and they have significant elderly populations.

It is, I am sad to say, not unexpected. With the NHS trying to cure all ills and with an appalling management (as many former NHS people on ER have pointed out) it was bound to come to this (or something quite like it). After the crisis has passed I think the role of the NHS should be re-examined. If the role of the NHS is to keep Britain healthy and able to work, then some difficult decisions need to be made (and let’s face it do you really to provide IVF or cosmetic breast augmentation [amongst other things] to Britons to keep them healthy and fit to work)

And you are quite right, Barry O, this could very well come back to bite them on the bum. What if (God forbid) HM the Queen comes down with the disease and requires a ventilator? Will the BMA say “ Sorry, Ma’am. No can do. Official guidelines”?
iD

It may come as no surprise that HMQ has a remarkable good medical facility on tap, completely independent of the NHS

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

40 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It may come as no surprise that HMQ has a remarkable good medical facility on tap, completely independent of the NHS

No, no surprise.

When it comes down to it, the rich, powerful and influential will always be able to be first in line to get what is needed. Either by pushing in front or by purchasing what is needed independently of what is available to the proles.

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning yet again from Estuary-Land. The bin wagons dawn chorus has been a bit earlier lately, probably because there are no traffic hold ups. I am still waiting for a couple of packages but as they are coming from Hong Kong I expect I'll have to wait for some time with most air traffic grounded, slow boat from China etc. I have a supply of face masks which should last as I only go out every four or five days. I also have a UV torch with which I can zap any germ or virus but what is the best way to use it? 

NB you might like this, nicked from the forum jokes thread.

47 minutes ago, gordon s said:

One for the golfers amongst us......

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

Wet and misty, rain earlier, cloud low on the mountains...

but I am not destined to go anywhere...  :jester:

But, as well as the patio-terrace bike ride, I have taken up exercising the lungs again, with a toot on the flute - actually, a Sweetheart rosewood fife in D (my flute playing is so lapsed I get disheartened...but I will get back to it when I am happy with the fife, which is coming along, again).  I printed off some tunes, yesterday, so I am better equipped to tackle the Radio 4 UK Theme Song which we used to wake up to in our sailing days.  I already had a few tunes under my belt but never got further than that.

One problem, I find, is with the top notes - my mouth gets so wet when I am playing that I end up blowing raspberries rather than notes!  I know nervousness can cause a dry mouth but that does not work when I am just tinkering on my own!

Remedy, anyone?

And, to sing you out...

Keep fit, Elfie :training:  and stay safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Polly

I will converse with her indoors (a (retired) flute teacher and get back to you if she has any suggestions.

Baz

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I wondered whats happening to Farcebook as it was refusing to load any pics from about ten this evening. Just had a newsflash that its gone down together with Instagram and Whatsapp. Probably overloaded due to the extra use its been getting. 

Farcebook et al was up and running within a couple of hours and looked OK this morning. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Wet and misty, rain earlier, cloud low on the mountains...

but I am not destined to go anywhere...  

Have you ever considered writing the lyrics for country music or the blues?

Rename as Polly Darton or Smokin' Red Dragon

• Like 9
  • Funny 10