The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, southern42 said:

in which you "travel in the mind's eye on the footplate of the locomotive," in this instance, Clan Line from Padstow to Exeter.

In the mind’s eye is the only way one could travel behind a Merchant Navy west of Exeter. 

As Bill and Richard suggest they were too heavy for the road west of Coleford Junction so for practical purposes they almost never ventured beyond the Exeter Central loco change and were serviced / turned at the nearby Exmouth Junction shed. 

Only as-built West Country / Battle of Britain light Pacifics could venture farther. Once rebuilt they too were over-weight for Meldon Viaduct and possibly other structures but were permitted to Ilfracombe and Torrington. 

In other news the wind is slowly abating but still has violent gusts while the afternoon’s thundery showers have passed.  

Fusili Bolognese à la Maison tonight assissted the reduction of our pasta surplus and was declared particularly tasty.  The supermarket Bordeaux however was not so good and its mortal remains still in the bottle are destined only for cooking with. 

Tis time for an evening circumambulation of the Hill of Strawberries. I shall return. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

T ...snip... I probably know more about Richmond VA, than the average American knows about Richmond upon Thames. ...snip...
iD

That describes me to a "T"! :biggrin_mini:I have driven through Richmond, VA many times (even downtown once) and ridden Amtrak through many times but the closest  that I have been to Richmond upon Thames is 35,000 feet above the south of France. :jester:

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Stupidity is probably the main reason. The other is that some of the "I have rights" brigade think they are above the law and follow certain government people (the world over) who think they can get away with anything.

There were few of these kinds of problems when Westminster ruled the parliamentary roost and it was all Great Britain and the United Kingdom was whole.  Not this separated state that exists today at the behest of a few ardent separatists that imagine that they can do better individually.  If their performance so far is any indication, then there is little future in their endeavour.  This latest 'invasion' example just adds to their folly!

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

I can only reply  ...snip... beginning with 'f'

and ending with a "K"

FIRE TRUCK

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"staffing". I've never heard anyone use "personning". 

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Just you wait - it'll be along soon.  

I wonder. There is a great reluctance to use manufactured sounding (so-called "politically correct") terms in the US. It is largely moot despite being used as political leverage by dexterous media outlets and politicians as a wedge issue. 

Non-gender specific job titles were adopted years ago: police officer, firefighter, mail carrier, sailor (rather than seaman), flight attendant, etc. I don't think people see these as an example of "political correctness" any longer and they are fully accepted. Most corporate titles are not gender-specific: manager, director, vice-president etc. "Chairman" is the outlier. Chairperson still has an awkward sound. I find it ironic that we are uncomfortable using "chair". Historically people were happy to use "cathedra" (as in ex-cathedra and cathedral) for the seat of a bishopric.

The USAF uses "airman" for both male and female enlisted personnel.

Some gender-related trade titles persist like waiter/waitress, host/hostess (in a restaurant or catering context) but for the most part they too are moot.  All waitstaff will often be called waiters irrespective of gender. Even the term "actress" is largely buried, except at award ceremonies where there are gender-based award categories*. Generally trade titles are genderless anyway: electrician, plumber, builder, pilot, engineer, accountant, driver, scientist, doctor, nurse, cashier, whatever. No one bothers to cling to "doctress". 

* Which are becoming controversial in some circles.

A curious term that does have currency is Latinx (pronounced "latin ex") as a genderless catchall for Latino and Latina. That derives more from gendered forms in Spanish than anything else.

Broad adoption of feminist spellings 'herstory' 'womyn' 'wimmin' etc is not happening, though there are people trying to make 'womxn' a thing. I doubt it will happen.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

In my case it is ladies swimwear.

You should be so lucky!  All I get is a young, bearded techie type looking thoughtfully at something or other to satisfy his elevated ego, or at least thats what the ad implies!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis is trying to tell me that rain is a-comin'. Problem is he has been no more reliable than the regular seaweed twirlers. No tell a lie, he's been even less reliable lately. Got to plough on through Farcebook, slipped behind recently so trying to catch up.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Now, as for Bulleid Rebuilts, there WAS a red one - thanks to the well known Wizard, before it turned into a Hall.  My mate jointly owned it at the time.....Taw Valley.  Interweb is your friend, I can't find my photos!

Found via "Taw Valley Hogwarts" on flickr.com

SCAN-025

And just to upset HH. I see that it was only capable of pulling two coaches.

Hogwarts in Lancashire

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's a picture of the new car being brought in by Ford's top delivery driver.

image.png.b630840fd3ee4da6417b5a6b7861d885.png

Sorry- the colour of my new car is - contrary to popular misconceptions - not yellow. (And it certainly isn't green)

• Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I always thought that the furthest west that a Merchant Navy would venture was the shed at Exmouth Junction.  Especially as they were even heavier after they had been rebuilt.

Certainly a trip along the original North Cornwall line would have been a bit iffy as the Meldon viaduct near Okehampton had a weight restriction that only allowed locos up to the size of an N class mogul to cross, plus there were no suitable turning facilities at Padstow.  This changed after WW2 when Padstow was kitted out with a larger turntable  and the smaller Bulleid light pacifics (WC/BB) were  permitted  to cross Meldon viaduct. 

I'll look forward to his next book:  North Star to  Snowdon summit.

Clan Line made the journey from Waterloo (not Padstow as posted - I realised the senior moment error but the laptop battery died before I could correct it, since put right).   WC 34033 Chard hauled the train from Exeter to Padstow.  Camel Quay was based on/inspired by Padstow and the North Cornwall Railway (c. late BR) and we originally intended to run West Countries on it but they did not look right going over parts of the track. So, we stuck with the smaller engines such as the N class, T9s and Beattie Well Tanks which better suited the curved run into the station as well as giving an impression of the NCR.  It equally saved us from incorporating the turntable you mention, or having another loco to take the train out while the WC typically returned to Wadebridge light engine which I had hoped to imitate...but there we are!  The layout has gone now, so no worries!  But I still love the old NCR!

_________

Polly

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1