Modelzone Limited Editions

darren chpamn

If they buy one then later decide to sell it on then all is fair and well, it is the bulk buying Ebay Carpetbaggers that are the cause of the problem, by doing this simply for the motivation of profit and greed deprives some genuine modellers of acquiring them at the proper retail price.

Admittedly this is not on the scale of that utter bottom orifice who bought up arm fulls of that Limited Edition Scotrail 158 at an exhibition once leaving many who wanted one going home empty handed whilst he filtered his booty onto Ebay at a 100% mark up.

I call it the "Waverley Deltic effect". People complaining about it on the internet merely highlighted to a larger audience that there was a way to make a quick buck by buying up the limited editions. With each release, there are more people doing it.

I don't think this is any more reprehensible than certain box shifters boosting the price up for items that are popular / running low on stock.

Or my mate who sold his mclaren car for a profit straight after he got it as there was a waiting list.

Free Market economy

• RMweb Premium

I don't think this is any more reprehensible than certain box shifters boosting the price up for items that are popular / running low on stock.

Or my mate who sold his mclaren car for a profit straight after he got it as there was a waiting list.

Free Market economy

I'm not sure I would agree with your mclaran analogy rob - after all you could wait and still get one at the going price whereas with limited editions you have to pay the ebay mark up or miss out entirely.

Stopping the ebay profiteers is clearly very difficult if not impossible - there are simply too many ways to get round a "buy one only" limit, particularly once a model is available in the shop(s). We can't really expect retailers to do more than check for duplicate names and addresses, although Modelzone's admirable policy of being able to pre-order through individual shops as well as online probably makes even those simple checks difficult.

The brake force runner pack is in my hands now,977387 is as expected,but the 2nd coach is the mobile track assessment coach 977337. I'm pretty sure I already have this coach from the previous set,but will confirm in the morning. Regards,bob

Yes that sounds correct. I did have these pre-ordered but when more details were released and I realised that they were the Mobile Track Assessment pair that ran with Rocket and the HSTRC I cancelled my order because I already had the originial set. I presume of the three MTA coaches, one was kept as a spare?

• RMweb Gold

Free Market economy

... and likewise when they sell surplus stock off cheap.

Hmmm, yes that's true.

A guess one of the downsides of chinese 'batch production' means that if you don't buy it when it is released, it's ebay or nothing.......personally if the price gets too high I choose nothing ! After all it is only a model..

^^ ha ha have you checked out the guy selling the brake force runners? stating "i am not a trader" yer right, and " no returns, am braking up a large collection..." whose collection?? modelzones??

Er, if you look at that auction properly you will see that the Brake Force runners are a previous edition from some years ago. Say what you like about that seller but he isn't flogging the just-issued version.

^^ ha ha have you checked out the guy selling the brake force runners? stating "i am not a trader" yer right, and " no returns, am braking up a large collection..." whose collection?? modelzones??

nothing like ripping other folk off of their hard earned cash! What an idiot! Nothing like making a profit off people!

Sorry but I take offence at both these posts, the ebay listing you refer to I believe is mine. The only reason that they have a high starting price is that thats what I paid for them - I am just trying to re-coup what I paid. I bought them a few years ago in the hope that I could swap them with someone who had a spare set of the Blue/Red MK1's which I missed out on - I'd also like Test car 6, but again have missed out. If you look at my other autions the starting price is fairly low though I am not prepared to give things away.

Though I SHOULD NOT have to defend myself here I will.

In terms of them being part of a large collection, they are. My collection has been put together over the last 25 years and I have finally realised that I a) don't have the room, B) many items have been in boxes and either not run for 10 years, or in a lot of cases never run c) I want to buy other items I will enjoy that I can not afford. Therefore I am slowly working through boxes having a mass clear out to concentrate on my finescale Australian models and a much smaller Scottish BR Blue fleet.

Sorry I missed out on clearing my older stock out when the prices were high, maybe I could have made a profit then. All I want to do is re-coup some money off of models which I am not getting the pleasure of using and probably never will so that I can invest in what I really want.

Hi Dan

I dont think they are brake force runners. I think they are an earlier (2-3 years ago?) limited edition RTC release.

Guy

Guy,

You are correct, they are the Engineers Support Coaches from a few years ago.

Al

Sorry but I take offence at both these posts, the ebay listing you refer to I believe is mine. The only reason that they have a high starting price is that thats what I paid for them - I am just trying to re-coup what I paid. I bought them a few years ago in the hope that I could swap them with someone who had a spare set of the Blue/Red MK1's which I missed out on - I'd also like Test car 6, but again have missed out. If you look at my other autions the starting price is fairly low though I am not prepared to give things away.

Though I SHOULD NOT have to defend myself here I will.

In terms of them being part of a large collection, they are. My collection has been put together over the last 25 years and I have finally realised that I a) don't have the room, B) many items have been in boxes and either not run for 10 years, or in a lot of cases never run c) I want to buy other items I will enjoy that I can not afford. Therefore I am slowly working through boxes having a mass clear out to concentrate on my finescale Australian models and a much smaller Scottish BR Blue fleet.

Sorry I missed out on clearing my older stock out when the prices were high, maybe I could have made a profit then. All I want to do is re-coup some money off of models which I am not getting the pleasure of using and probably never will so that I can invest in what I really want.

Guy,

You are correct, they are the Engineers Support Coaches from a few years ago.

Al

Just for info the earlier Modelzone 2008 release was 39-000S with running numbers DB 977337 and DB 977338, the 2012 release is 39-350Z with running numbers DB 977337 and DB 977387 so one coach - DB 977337 has been repeated in exactly the same livery as the earlier 2008 release!

Martin.

For your info the RNA's are now in, well I picked my two up at Aberdeen Modelzone today.

I had an Email from SignalBox today - so they are on their across the pond to Canada.

Could you post a picture on here? Thanks

• RMweb Gold

...talking of the RNA's I was wondering were they the only HEA's (sic) in coal sector livery?

The reason I ask is that I've a Bachmann coal sector HEA (can't recall the number I'm afraid) but I've never seen a photograph of one in such condition. I did have a notion that the model was based on an RNA but was misidentified but TBH I really haven't a clue. Any ideas?

I had an Email from SignalBox today - so they are on their across the pond to Canada.

Could you post a picture on here? Thanks

As requested I've taken a photo and uploaded it to RMWeb.

RNA

The model is based on the RNA/HEAs before they had the hopper and discharge equipment removed and blanked, I'm not sure of time frame for the model in this condition but I'm sure it's an easy mod if you want to remove the hopper yourself, I won't be on this model but may on a HEA going cheap sometime.

Regards

Roy

Test Car 6 printing problem ? Dissapointed to find the printed grilles on one side "squint" otherwise very well finished especially the printed detail/cheverons etc on the coach ends. Anyone else have this problem with their coach ? No point returning it for replacement if the whole batch is similar ?

post-2215-0-85277900-1345206773_thumb.jpg

Test Car 6 printing problem ? Dissapointed to find the printed grilles on one side "squint" otherwise very well finished especially the printed detail/cheverons etc on the coach ends. Anyone else have this problem with their coach ? No point returning it for replacement if the whole batch is similar ?

Well thats not too flash! I hope mind doesn't turn up like that. I'd be returning it pretty quickly, or at least phoning them up. They will have limited spares, and you don't want to be left with this one!

• RMweb Premium

I'd put it on ebay as a "rare" printing error - in much the same way that stamps can be worth more with faulty printing. :stinker:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A few shots of mine that has just arrived, the printing of the grilles is upright on mine.

post-6910-0-97357400-1345218647_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-17947100-1345218656_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-93580200-1345218661.jpg

Not the best Ltd Edition I have ever seen, the limitations of using the standard body shell meant compromises of course.

Ive just checked mine, and they seem to be ok....might be worth returning it whilst they have some left to replace it with.

Great Western

According to the Signal Box - all gone - most were pre ordered - so no replacement avail :cry: Undecided what to do with it at the moment, personnally I think the over printed grilles on the window look "naff" anyway - straight or otherwise - would have perhaps been better left off altogether.

I agree that the printed grille is a weak spot of this limited edition. If you want it as a collector's item then you'll probably want to return it and maybe ask to be put on the list for any uncollected orders. However, if you want it for it's modelling uses, you might just have the perfect impetus to do a bit of modding to make a better fist of the real Test Car 6 - from photos I've been able to find, the real one had the window apeture completly plated and a vertical grille added (not just printed on :no: )

I agree that the printed grille is a weak spot of this limited edition. If you want it as a collector's item then you'll probably want to return it and maybe ask to be put on the list for any uncollected orders. However, if you want it for it's modelling uses, you might just have the perfect impetus to do a bit of modding to make a better fist of the real Test Car 6 - from photos I've been able to find, the real one had the window apeture completly plated and a vertical grille added (not just printed on :no: )

Ditto - it looks shite - so bad I'll be putting a thin plasticard plate over the window and adding an etched grill.

I agree the printed effect is a serious let down to me and especially over a painted window as well! I feel (IMPORTANT WORD "FEEL!") It is not one of Bachmann's best efforts of a limited edition.

post-1121-0-41111100-1345336739_thumb.jpg

post-1121-0-19824600-1345336797_thumb.jpg

The grills are wrong on the model compared to the real item that it is modelled on! I am looking at re-doing it completely! Bachmann has this time got it wrong for this model!

Archived