Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

In looking through a Freight Working Timetable for the Central Division of BR's Southern Region there appeared a working of three "minifits" from Witham (ER) through to Waddon Marsh on particular train.

I've never heard of "minifits", but with a google search it came up with a couple of examples which seemed to associate them with standard BR 16 ton mineral wagons, but with no details as to what made them "special"  -  any ideas ?

Thanks.

I wonder what they were loaded with?

I use to live in Witham and cannot recall any coal mining. There is quite a bit of gravel and sand extraction form the mid Essex area, could it have been one of these. Again I cannot recall any special loading facilities at Witham. Sand is still sent by rail from Marks Tey. I am not aware of gravel going by train from Witham.

Another load might have been scrap metal from the Rom River plant in Witham. One of our club members worked for them when the works were still rail connected. I will ask him next time I see him at the club.

I use to live in Witham and cannot recall any coal mining. There is quite a bit of gravel and sand extraction form the mid Essex area, could it have been one of these. Again I cannot recall any special loading facilities at Witham. Sand is still sent by rail from Marks Tey. I am not aware of gravel going by train from Witham.

Another load might have been scrap metal from the Rom River plant in Witham. One of our club members worked for them when the works were still rail connected. I will ask him next time I see him at the club.

Indeed, and I remember stories of Rom River bribing BR drivers to do the shunting when the tiny Planet locomotive they had broke down (again).

Is there not another Witham in the Peterborough area? I know there is another on the Western.

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, and I remember stories of Rom River bribing BR drivers to do the shunting when the tiny Planet locomotive they had broke down (again).

Is there not another Witham in the Peterborough area? I know there is another on the Western.

Hi Ian

Witham in Somerset was known as Witham (Somerset) to avoid confusion and the Lincolnshire one was South Witham. North Witham didn't have a railway station.

I think the one mentioned in the WTT was the one that you and I use to live in.

Could it have been something coming from Waddon Marsh? Wasn't there a gas works there, which might have produced coke, perhaps for some sort of industrial process?

I did once encounter a 16-tonner branded 'Sand'; it was in a train of scrap-carrying wagons at a foundry I worked at in South Wales.

On a mobile phone I ain't got a scooby, you can enlighten me at the weekend porky.

That's this new 21st century technology for you. Can your phone spot this one?

https://flic.kr/p/AR56sU

There's not one in this image but it's worth looking at just because it was probably one of Britains smallest industrial sidings with the tiniest of coal drops. One of a series of five.

EDIT

Oops. Spose I better add the link.

https://flic.kr/p/zHiPDh

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

There's not one in this image but it's worth looking at just because it was probably one of Britains smallest industrial sidings with the tiniest of coal drops. One of a series of five.

EDIT

Oops. Spose I better add the link.

https://flic.kr/p/zHiPDh

P

Given the tinyness of the industral siding and the density of track squeezed into a small space I suspect CJ Freezer of moonlighting in the Newcastle and Carlisle design office ;).

Seriously though, a good prototype for those wanting more operation in a limited space without too much compromise.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/23302765909/in/dateposted-public/

I've just uploaded this one from the Fleetwood Shawe/ARPT collection today of Kyle of Lochalsh. 2 interesting examples, a tarpaulined one on the left and one with a load of coal, door open, contents being dumped on the concrete - no sign of a coal merchant but then I can't think of anywhere else at Kyle you could unload it.

Ernie

• RMweb Gold

I've just uploaded this one from the Fleetwood Shawe/ARPT collection today of Kyle of Lochalsh. 2 interesting examples, a tarpaulined one on the left and one with a load of coal, door open, contents being dumped on the concrete - no sign of a coal merchant but then I can't think of anywhere else at Kyle you could unload it.

Ernie

When I did a bit of work for the merchant where my great aunt was the manageress in the early 1960s  at busy times we had the lorry pulled right up against wth wagon then the door dropped down onto the flatbed. We had the scales on the back of the lorry and shovelled the coal straight out into the bags, saved double handling. If it was for store we shovelled the coal onto the lorry, took it through the weighbridge, then shovelled it off onto the stacks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ernie

Looks like there is a Slope Sided 16tonner in there too.

Kev.