DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

Hi,

Just a theory, but are they being named after Navy Vessels? :-

• 68002 'Intrepid' - Fearless Class Amphibious Landing Vessel, now retired
  • 68003 'Astute' - Astute Class Sumbmarine, just about to enter service

As I say, just a theory, will have to see what the others are named.

Simon

Hi,

Give that man a Cigar !

Seriously though, it appears that it might possibly be the case, although the definitions of the names themselves could suggest a theme ( bold, courageous etc, etc.).

Incidentally, those names have been used for previous RN vessels and Intrepid is also the name of the old US Navy Essex class aircraft carrier, CV 11, that's now a public museum in New York City.

Hi,

• 68002 'Intrepid' - Fearless Class Amphibious Landing Vessel, now retired
  • 68003 'Astute' - Astute Class Sumbmarine, just about to enter service

As I say, just a theory, will have to see what the others are named.

Simon

In that case then these are mark2 warships!

I wonder if that they will run most of the time on the western region.

Mk 3 to be pedantic (although if you divide the original hydraulics in their three separate Classes that would make them Mark 5 ;) )

Compromise - Mark 4's :) (Class 42 and 43 were so similar externally)

Give that man a Cigar !

Seriously though, it appears that it might possibly be the case, although the definitions of the names themselves could suggest a theme ( bold, courageous etc, etc.).

Incidentally, those names have been used for previous RN vessels and Intrepid is also the name of the old US Navy Essex class aircraft carrier, CV 11, that's now a public museum in New York City.

Do you not think he was maybe referring to the whole class being named after Navy Vessels..????

Yes, that was very clear. That's what I understood from his post and refered to in my reply.

How did you think otherwise? I'm baffled at your post Bob?

Do you not think he was maybe referring to the whole class being named after Navy Vessels..????

Yes, that was very clear. That's what I understood from his post and refered to in my reply.

How did you think otherwise? I'm baffled by your post Bob?

• RMweb Gold

That there a nickname the "Warship Class"

Terry

I feel that "the Warships" will always and only ever be the old hydraulics. Although the class 50s acquired the same theme for their names, they were always more widely known by other monicas. To me, for example, they're "Hoovers".
So I think there is still scope for the enthusiast community to give the 68 a nickname.

The forthcoming DRS class 88s though, are going to have to be known as "Fat Ladies" in honour of the well known bingo call. ;-)
Perhaps DRS will name two of them "Jennifer Paterson" and "Clarrisa Dickson Wright"?
But what is the name of the fat lady who sings?

• RMweb Premium

Suggestions on another forum that Chiltern have today announced they will be hiring 6 class 68s from DRS from December 2014 to replace the 67s. I cannot find anything to verify this yet but I don't do facebook....

There is a copy of the press release from Chiltern on the wnxx news page. (subscribers only I'm afraid)

Snippet - "They will be serviced at Chiltern's Wembley and Stourbridge depots, with some heavy maintenance at DRS Crewe or Kingmoor"

Cheers,

Mick

There is a copy of the press release from Chiltern on the wnxx news page. (subscribers only I'm afraid)

Snippet - "They will be serviced at Chiltern's Wembley and Stourbridge depots, with some heavy maintenance at DRS Crewe or Kingmoor"

Cheers,

Mick

Hi,

I thought since I heard about Chiltern looking for new builds that the 68's would be a good choice, so not surprised by the announcement, but it will be good to see how they fair on long 100mph runs regularly.

Right, who's going to photoshop one into Chiltern Mainline livery? In fact, will we see a slight change in the loco livery from the plain grey and sliver used currently?

Plus before people asks, they might make occasional trips to and from Aylesbury, moving coaching stock around, but they can't stay there for maintenance as the track in the Depot building is limited to 11 ton max axle loading.

Simon

How did you think otherwise? I'm baffled by your post Bob?

Having read your post again, I too am baffled by my response,..............I think I replied having just read your reference to the cigar.............sorry.

Bob.

Further info. as quoted below:

The general cargo ship "Tasman" arrived at Liverpool`s Gladstone Dock (alongside Gladstone Steel Terminal) early morning today with three new DRS Class 68's locomotives (no's 68003,004 & 005) which were unloaded by the heavy-lift crane barge "Lara1" onto the rail-connected quayside.

The locomotives are part of a batch of 10 locomotives ordered by Direct Rail Services.

The vessel "Tasman" has departed the quay and is now on its way to Cork.

The loco's are scheduled to depart the docks either tomorrow evening and / or Thursday evening.

Nice article about the 68's in the rail engineer.

http://www.therailengineer.com/2014/04/01/sleek-lines/

Has every magazine been allowed to crawl around it then?

The Railway Magazine has, Rail Engineer has, and I recently had an email from Rail Express saying they have too!

Is it DRS being very kind or just showing off their new loco?

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

The Railway Magazine has, Rail Engineer has, and I recently had an email from Rail Express saying they have too!

Jack.

It's all about good PR and encouraging interest in the rail industry.  DRS needs work for its locos therefore it pays to let folk know what it's got and if that can be done without expensive advertising all the better.  And of course it is an obvious thing to let a technical journal have a lot of information about the new arrival.

Jack.

Hi,

All the magazines and railway press were invited to a media launch day a month or so back, so DRS could show off the loco to the press, like when the first Freightliner 70's were unveiled to the media.

Simon

Archived