DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

As Mick says the issue that has kept them out of service is the TPWS.

Talking to one of the fitters at the DRS Crewe open day yesterday he said it was being caused by interference from the air conditioning system which they reckon now should be fixed.

He also mentioned that 68009 - 11 would be coming in Chiltern livery in the next two weeks.

// Stentor

Guest Digital

A few photos form yesterdays DRS Open Day at Crewe taken with my iPhone.

A point to notice is there are no electrification stickers fitted to the locos.

These are apparently being fitted very soon.

John

According to the engineer in charge of the class 68 project they won't be receiving electrification flashes as they aren't required nowadays, standards now state that the cantrail stripe is sufficient. 

Hi,

Rail Express have posted a picture on Twitter of one of the Chiltern Liveried Locos, 68010 at the plant in Spain:

https://mobile.twitter.com/railexpress/status/491518737812836353/photo/1/large?utm_source=fb&utm_content=491521821259608064&utm_campaign=wnxxuk&utm_medium=fb

Not sure it it suits them or not, plus they haven't changed the livery, I thought they might if fine in light if the recent changes to the DMU livery.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Rail Express have posted a picture on Twitter of one of the Chiltern Liveried Locos, 68010 at the plant in Spain:https://mobile.twitter.com/railexpress/status/491518737812836353/photo/1/large?utm_source=fb&utm_content=491521821259608064&utm_campaign=wnxxuk&utm_medium=fb

Not sure it it suits them or not, plus they haven't changed the livery, I thought they might if fine in light if the recent changes to the DMU livery.

Simon

Not sure either but anyway much better than any livery on a Cl 70, in my own humble opinion of course! They do look as though someone has designed the body rather than simply bolting bits together. As they say, one man's meat is another man's pile of scrap

Designed by Vogons and driven by Brits..... :drag:

I’m sure I’ll get to like them eventually. :mail: 

As I said before I don’t like the look of locos where the cab(s) overhang the trucks/bogies.

Best, Pete.

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed/answered before in this thread, but why do DRS/Vossloh feel that strobing front lights are needed?

They look abit odd in this video....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WH9wwZ_FlrQ

Jack.

They look like American “ditchlights" to me.....or rather that is what “ditchlights” look like from trackside.

See:

They actiually oscilate rather than strobe.

Apologies if anyone else has pointed this out before me, I have not read every post, alas.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Looks to me as though they are flashing in "hazard light" mode. Others like 92s have this ability as well. Maybe the driver has set the light switch in the wrong position.

Cheers

Dave

I hate to disagree with that, but the lights are flashing too slowly to just be the LEDs on a video strobing

Agree with 69843 - because US “ditchlights” are required to:

“Flash alternatively at a rate of 40 flashes per minute up to a maximum of 180 flashes a minute"

At an approach to a crossing. The movie linked to in Jack374’s post look remarkably like US ditchlights - I’m thinking that Vossioh built in this as a switchable capability.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the front was overheated and melted! I am reminded of the Glaswegian saying " face like a melted Welly" Still its better than the horrible Class 70. I can even see myself getting to like it amongst a sea of 66s

• RMweb Premium

This should be 68009/010/011 moving on Friday August 1st. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R00831/2014/08/01/advanced

Cheers,

Mick

Supposedly OBS Deo Volante, due Liverpool in the early hours of 31 July.

This is probably the inbound loco going to collect them.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived