DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I have missed this in this now quite long thread.....

But what's wrong with the alternators?

Not looking to knock or anything, just interested in the engineering as at least 68001 and 68002 have had their engines/alternators out for attention to the alternator due to a problem identified test running 68001.  That's what testing is for. I am just interested as an electrical engineer. Perhaps it got dizzy going round and round the test track

• RMweb Premium

There does seem to be a theme amongst the Class 68 names, but can anyone spot the deliberate mistake of the four so far?

Intrepid, Astute, Rapid, Defiant

Cheers,

Mick

Have they got it wrong with Defiant ?  I can't trace anything about an RN ship of that name (other than a fictional one) so should the loco be named 'Defiance'?

Mike,

Quite correct. The only known HMS DEFIANT was the fictional version in the Alec Guiness/Dirk Bogarde film, there has never been a vessel of that name in the RN. The most recent DEFIANCE was a shore establishment in Devonport.

If this was a mistake, it's up there with a pub in Blyth which recently renamed itself "Arc Royal" (!) with a motif of the 1937 aircraft carrier thinking it had been built in Blyth. The actual vessel concerned was a seaplane carrier built in Blyth in 1914!

So what was this HMS DEFIANT ???

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/HMS_Defiant

As it says in the accompanying text (& as mentioned above) "there never was an HMS Defiant serving in the Royal Navy in real life. A fictional Defiant was seen in the 1962 movie 'Damn The Defiant!' (based on the Frank Tilsey novel 'Mutiny')". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.M.S._Defiant.

Exactly what that's a painting of in the article, who knows?

:-)

As it says in the accompanying text (& as mentioned above) "there never was an HMS Defiant serving in the Royal Navy in real life. A fictional Defiant was seen in the 1962 movie 'Damn The Defiant!' (based on the Frank Tilsey novel 'Mutiny')". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.M.S._Defiant.

Exactly what that's a painting of in the article, who knows?

Yes, I read the text where it says there never was an HMS Defiant........so what is the painting all about.??????

Yes, I read the text where it says there never was an HMS Defiant........so what is the painting all about.??????

Merely fiction in an attempt to pass credence to a Star Trek script. Looking at the 'painting' itself, the ship portrayed is fictional as the size of the sails depicted would be unmanageable bordering on the suicidal!

Merely fiction in an attempt to pass credence to a Star Trek script. Looking at the 'painting' itself, the ship portrayed is fictional as the size of the sails depicted would be unmanageable bordering on the suicidal!

Thanks Jim...............!!

Archived