DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

Ah, I see. I'll have to take a look at this. On first glance it seems it either doesn't matter or the profile is mostly the same in Europe (due to the connections between HS1 to other lines) but I'll dig some more...

France accepts UIC spec vehicles, but is less keen on special workings, the first two Bulgarian 87 looked like they'd never leave Calais, which explains why exported locos now go by barge.

All depends on how complete the paperwork is (including that for the Chunnel) .....

Even before getting to us, it would have to be passed for travel by SNCF, which almostly certainly takes ages......

......Incidentally as it is built for British operation I wonder if any of it might be out-of-gauge in France (I doubt it but you never know)? 

........But 68 does not have any shoes so it should be no problem to drag it in France.

68001 was dragged from Spain to the Czech Republic, where it has been undergoing testing, so it will have passed through France on the way there.

If it hasn't already done so, I understand that it will going back to Spain early in the year, before being readied for delivery to the UK. Therefore  another trip across France.

I thought 68002 was delivered from Spain to Southampton by sea?

I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression all the 68's were going to be delivered this way?

Thanks for the response. I am referring to profile of the railhead (top running surface of the rail), the profile of the wheel and the point at which they contact. As I understand it the profile of the wheel and rail varies between some countries, I assume that having a mismatch in profiles will cause additional wear to the rail and the wheel. If this is the case, I wonder if it would restrict the movement of a locomotive if it had been profiled for use on a test track and then required reprofiling before running in the country of operation?

fetch.php?media=w1.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

The accompanying sketch illustrates one difference- it shows the inclined (1:20?) rail as used in the UK, whereas Eurotunnel and beyond use a vertical rail. Vehicles profiled for one will have different points of contact when used on the other; this can lead to 'hunting' at certain speeds when wheels profiled for one are used on the other, so such vehicles are subjected to sometimes quite substantial speed restrictions. I can think of a few examples;-

the Transfesa flats that work from Silla to Dagenham may run at 120 kph as far as Dolland's Moor, but once on the 'Classic' routes are restricted to 35 mph.

The STVA double-deck car-carriers are allowed to run at 120kph in France, but only 60 mph in the UK.

The Cartic-4 was 75 mph capable in the UK, but 100 kph on the continent.

So what about Eurostar EMUs?

What about them? They'll have different wheel-profiles again, optimised for running at 200 kph+ on dedicated high-speed lines, and at lower speeds on conventional track. There are a range of wheel-profiles used, both within the UK, and on mainland Europe, and only a very few have the significant variations in permissable maximum speeds that the examples I quoted have. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of other vehicles are subject to the same restrictions both at home and away. 

Have just passed Etterby road tonight & it's still parked up , before it gets to DRS it needs to cross the road bridge over the WCML ( WEIGHT LIMIT ??? ) then make a sharp right turn down the entrance road to the depot , I don't know how heavy or long it is compared to a 20 or 37 .

Stewart .

Hi all,

DRS should do a grand unveiling of this loco at Carlisle station. Firstly position the loco against the back wall of the station with the large white sheet attached. Then with a class 20 haul the sheet off to a fanfare.

Only an idea!!!

Vin

• RMweb Premium

Have just passed Etterby road tonight & it's still parked up , before it gets to DRS it needs to cross the road bridge over the WCML ( WEIGHT LIMIT ??? ) then make a sharp right turn down the entrance road to the depot , I don't know how heavy or long it is compared to a 20 or 37 .

Stewart .

The 68 is in the order of 80Te or so, standard 37's are just over 100Te. 20's are 70plus Te.

Lengthwise , the 68 is about 1.5m longer than a 37.

Cheers,

Mick

68001 was dragged from Spain to the Czech Republic, where it has been undergoing testing, so it will have passed through France on the way there.

If it hasn't already done so, I understand that it will going back to Spain early in the year, before being readied for delivery to the UK. Therefore  another trip across France.

I thought 68002 was delivered from Spain to Southampton by sea?

I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression all the 68's were going to be delivered this way?

68001 went by boat from Spain to (Lübeck) Germany before going to Czech Republic. http://www.lhg.com/index.php?id=58#news109

Mark

http://www.mark5812.smugmug.com/

• RMweb Premium

I heard a rumour yesterday (from a bloke that is in a position to know!) that DRS aren't planning on training drivers on the 68's for the next few months.

Anybody know if this is true? & if so, why?

Cheers,

Phil.

I heard a rumour yesterday (from a bloke that is in a position to know!) that DRS aren't planning on training drivers on the 68's for the next few months.

Cheers,

Phil.

Perhaps they can't release drivers for training at present, due to there being only sufficent to cover existing commitments?

Cheers,

Phil.

Possibly also to do with Traction Knowledge Retention, if you don't drive a class within a 6 month period (probably varies a bit by company) you should have a refresher before driving them so no sense in training widely until the fleet starts to arrive and enter traffic rather than testing. The core of drivers trained in Spain will presumably do the driving for testing purposes which will also give them some experience to pass on when training the rest.

DRS have somewhat of a retention issue, and have done for a good few a years. With the increase in NDS work they've picked up recently and their commitments to the intermodal and nuclear transportation industries they simply don't have the drivers spare to train up enmass. Also like about there is no point training every driver at depots as far spread as Stowmarket and Motherwell when the full fleet is some time in coming, I've also been told that no all depots will be trained anyway, in the main Carlise and Crewe will operate the bulk trains diagramed for these locos.

82C

• RMweb Premium

The rumour mill has it that 68002 is taking a test train to Crewe tomorrow morning, leaving Carlisle around 11am

Further rumour is that 90020 will be heading 68002...............

http://andrewstransport.smugmug.com/Northwesttrains/North-West-Trains-2014/35756943_GKDgnm#!i=3054793284&k=3bCdZqP

Seems like DRS are quicker at sorting paperwork for new locos than a certain other orange/yellow coloured freight company.............  :O

Cheers,

Mick

Yesterday there was a working with 90020/47805/4x ex-Virgin MK2s/47853 that went to Kingmoor, so could easily be the 90 heading the train..... :dontknow:

(I went to see it... See my thread in this forum...)

Thanks

Jack

Yesterday there was a working with 90020/47805/4x ex-Virgin MK2s/47853 that went to Kingmoor, so could easily be the 90 heading the train..... :dontknow:

(I went to see it... See my thread in this forum...)

Thanks

Jack

Have you got a link to your thread.??

Archived