DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

I'm not saying you can't, I'm trying to say I don't think its unfortuante safety is such large part of design like Steve was suggesting, unless I have just got the wrong end of the stick of Steve's point.

Simon

I'm not against safety being designed into a loco, but recent designs appear to have thrown away any pretence of attempting to be attractive at the same time, which I guess is probably all about cost

• RMweb Premium

Why do people assume that loco's should be aesthetically pleasing?

So long as it's functional efficient and safe these need to be the first considerations.

• RMweb Premium

Why do people assume that loco's should be aesthetically pleasing?

So long as it's functional efficient and safe these need to be the first considerations.

Motor vehicles are much safer than they were fifty years ago but designers haven't stopped making them aesthetically pleasing. Safety, efficiency and good exterior design do not have to be mutually exclusive.

David

Three more pics from my trip to Valencia a couple of weeks ago

Firstly a view of the cab interior of 68002, the cardboard covering the windscreen was because they were testing the intensity of the cab lighting. 

attachicon.gifDSC_0391 (640x424).jpg

A profile view of the class 68 cab

attachicon.gifDSC_0402 (424x640).jpg

Finally someone asked what the steps on the front corners were for earlier in the thread, this pic illustrates them in use, the multi cable is light as a feather!

attachicon.gifDSC_0416 (640x424).jpg

The running lights look interesting! I guess the lower lenses incorporate the day and night headlights in addition to the marker and rear lights?

A light (ish)  4 axle loco with a high top speed and plenty of power.... has to be Warship names really.

Lets hope that

1) they last longer than the class 42's

2) More Warship names are revived (ex. Sir Brian Robertson, no disrespect intended)

3) they end up on loan so we can see them all over the place

• RMweb Premium

Is that the FA cup behind the grille?? :jester:

How's this for an off the wall suggestion.

68001 carries a name beginning with D, 68002 is I, 68003 is R, 68004 is E.. etc.........

Direct Rail Services if you're wondering

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Is that the FA cup behind the grille?? :jester:

68001 carries a name beginning with D, 68002 is I, 68003 is R, 68004 is E.. etc.........

Cheers,

Mick

You probably ought to have continued with your example a bit further (68005 is C....) - I just read D-I-R-E and thought you were being uncomplimentary (which I'm sure you aren't by the way!)

A light (ish)  4 axle loco with a high top speed and plenty of power.... has to be Warship names really.

Lets hope that

1) they last longer than the class 42's

2) More Warship names are revived (ex. Sir Brian Robertson, no disrespect intended)

3) they end up on loan so we can see them all over the place

Are there enough real RN warships left to use the names of...? 

dauntless intrepid resolution emerald courageous temeraire repulse audacious invincible leviathan superb enterprise renown vanguard illustrious conqueror excalibour swiftsure

E's a bit weak and they need to order two more :-)

dauntless intrepid resolution emerald courageous temeraire repulse audacious invincible leviathan superb enterprise renown vanguard illustrious conqueror excalibour swiftsure

E's a bit weak and they need to order two more :-)

Excellent Eagle Electra Eclipse

Archived