DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

News from the Multimodal 2014 trade fair is that the order has been increased to 25 locomotives.

You're a bit late with that news Geoff. It was reported a fortnight ago at the end of April and mentioned earlier in this thread.

Beacon Rail is wholly owned by BTMU Capital Corporation, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.; part of the Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group.

Therefore the Chiltern bound Class 68's are owned by a private sector subsidiary of a Japanese banking group, leased to a UK state owned operator (DRS), sub-leased to a UK private sector TOC (Chiltern), which is a subsidiary of a German owned UK based private rail operator (Arriva UK Trains), which is part of a German privately owned UK based International transport company (Arriva), which is itself a division of a German state owned company (DB).

To boot, the locos are German, but made in Spain.

...or to put in another way...

German locos made in Spain, owned by the Japanese and operated in the UK by a German company.

Simples.

Only a few days after I posted the above, Beacon Rail was sold by BTMU to London based Pamplona Capital Management.

Although London based, Pamplona are backed by a Russian billionaire's investment group.

The finance for the acquisition is being provided by ING, who are a multinational bank of Dutch origin.

So updating my previous post......

Therefore the Chiltern bound Class 68's are owned by a private sector UK based international leasing group (Beacon Rail), which was purchased (Beacon Rail that is) with Dutch money and is now a subsidiary of a UK based investment group (Pamplona), in turn largely owned by a Russian investment group (Alpha); leased to a UK state owned operator (DRS), sub-leased to a UK private sector TOC (Chiltern), which is a subsidiary of a German owned UK based private rail operator (Arriva UK Trains), which is part of a German privately owned UK based International transport company (Arriva), which is itself a division of a German state owned company (DB).

German locos made in Spain, owned by Russians and operated in the UK by a German company.

Simples.

• RMweb Premium

Therefore the Chiltern bound Class 68's are owned by a private sector UK based international leasing group (Beacon Rail), which was purchased (Beacon Rail that is) with Dutch money and is now a subsidiary of a UK based investment group (Pamplona), in turn largely owned by a Russian investment group (Alpha); leased to a UK state owned operator (DRS), sub-leased to a UK private sector TOC (Chiltern), which is a subsidiary of a German owned UK based private rail operator (Arriva UK Trains), which is part of a German privately owned UK based International transport company (Arriva), which is itself a division of a German state owned company (DB).

Is there a "confused" button? :0

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Only a few days after I posted the above, Beacon Rail was sold by BTMU to London based Pamplona Capital Management.

Although London based, Pamplona are backed by a Russian billionaire's investment group.

The finance for the acquisition is being provided by ING, who are a multinational bank of Dutch origin.

So updating my previous post......

German locos made in Spain, owned by Russians and operated in the UK by a German company.

Simples.

So if any further sanctions are brought in over the Ukraine goings on these locos will be seen as Russian assets and blacklisted or even seized by the UK state.  If the latter took place that starts a whole new chain of not only who owns what but could well increase Govt debt as they also take on the capital charge.  No wonder Mick's confused.

So if any further sanctions are brought in over the Ukraine goings on these locos will be seen as Russian assets and blacklisted or even seized by the UK state.

Hang on a minute - isn't DRS state owned? So the UK state will seize its own assets?????

(Theoretically preventing the company from using them, eventually leading to the company going bust, so the UK government steps in to save it, as it transports nuclear waste, thus costing the taxpayer more money....)

Stewart

So if any further sanctions are brought in over the Ukraine goings on these locos will be seen as Russian assets and blacklisted or even seized by the UK state.

Hang on a minute - isn't DRS state owned? So the UK state will seize its own assets?????

(Theoretically preventing the company from using them, eventually leading to the company going bust, so the UK government steps in to save it, as it transports nuclear waste, thus costing the taxpayer more money....)

Stewart

When it does happen (and it really wouldn't suprise me), you heard it here first folks!

• RMweb Premium

A couple of wibble websites are reporting that the 68's will be starting to move around next week. Crewe-Chester and WCML Scotland have been mentioned.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A couple of wibble websites are reporting that the 68's will be starting to move around next week. Crewe-Chester and WCML Scotland have been mentioned.

Cheers,

Mick

Latest wibble is that the tests are postponed for a week or two.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Some people think they're far from being Purdey.

At least they've got matching curves.............

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. The younger generation will have no idea who we're on about. :declare:

68004 fresh out with 66433 dit on 4S44 (12 13 Daventry to Coatbridge intermodal).

They certainly seem to be making a fair bit of noise as well, although I think I still prefer the almost Maybach grumble of the 70s with SR sounding traction motors.

68004 fresh out with 66433 dit on 4S44 (12 13 Daventry to Coatbridge intermodal).They certainly seem to be making a fair bit of noise as well, although I think I still prefer the almost Maybach grumble of the 70s with SR sounding traction motors.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvU82kyOqkI

Yes, turn your speakers up and your monitor off....! I'm feeling a bit seasick after all of the unnecessary zooming in that video.

There is an old addage that it is sometimes better to enjoy the spectacle of a train (especially steam) on the mainline, instead of only seeing it through a viewfinder.

Archived