DRS Orders Vossloh UKlights

• RMweb Gold

68 005 and 68 006 top and tailing 8 DRS Coaches are sitting at Dundee sidings this lunchtime.I imagine this will be for the Ryder Cup??

Very impressive looking locos in my opinion.

Yep - Golfexs apparently you can only travel on them if you have a ticket for the golf.

The TPWS applications aren't really random as they are happening at the same locations, so they're more "unsolicited". Also the drivers who are doing the Golf-ex jobs are slowing down at the locations where it is happening so that the brake applications aren't too violent  

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday and today I noted 68 002 on the Aberdeen ASDA and I must say im impressed by the sound of these locos as well.While not in the same league as a Class 40 on the Aberdeen Cement in the 80's.... 68 002 gave it plenty of grunt as it headed up the coast and could be heard for quite a while afterwards.Think an N gauge model will be added to my collection after all!! ;o)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any idea when the first 88 will be ready ?

I'm sure I read on another forum, that the first one is near completion and should be out in the daylight very soon at the factory.

Delivery to the UK will be much later on, either later this year or early 2016.

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I read on another forum, that the first one is near completion and should be out in the daylight very soon at the factory.

Delivery to the UK will be much later on, either later this year or early 2016.

I've seen a projected delivery date list somewhere for 68016-68025 but b*ggered if I can find it. As you say end 2015/early 2016. (EDIT - more detailed dates: Oct 2015-Feb 2016)

All I can locate are proposed names for the next few.

68016 "Fearless"

68017 "Reliance"

68018 "Vigilance"

68019 "Hornet"

Cheers'

Mick

• RMweb Premium

According to The Railway Magazine, DRS have ordered a further 7 class 68's which should take the fleet upto 32 examples. Slightly confused as I thought they couldn't build more?

Wild Boar Fell

I know that GBRf (as I remember) got around this requirement by buying the engines before 1st Jan, to build the actual locos later. Maybe DRS have done the same?

Or option B is that Vossloh have adapted the design of the 68 to fit an engine that is compliant with the new emissions standards. So that would make the new engines a new sub class.

• 4 weeks later...

Out and about in Fife today and managed to catch all three loco's currently working the Scotrail Fife circle service.

First up 68005 working 5K18 Mossend Yard to Cardenden ECS captured at Cardenden on time at 07.05

post-1685-0-81694500-1441048128_thumb.jpg

68006 on 2G13 Edinburgh to Glenrothes.

post-1685-0-93339400-1441048379_thumb.jpg

Finally 68003 on 5L70 Cardenden - Mossend ECS caught at Glenrothes 18.26.

post-1685-0-24857000-1441048505_thumb.jpg

A couple more taken on Tuesday Evening at Thornton.

68006 on 2G13, the driver was far more attractive than the loco lol.

post-1685-0-46354900-1441260383_thumb.jpg

Followed closely by 68005 working 5L70.

post-1685-0-50840600-1441260460_thumb.jpg

Don't know anyone else's thoughts but these loco's sound very "Delticie" to me, very distinctive sound.

In my small professional world I am responsible for maintaining 4 x Caterpillar C175 Generator sets, very similar as to what is installed in the Class 68 and they sound nothing like the Loco's, probably due to a very different exhaust system.

As a foot note I would say the C175 power plant is the most unreliable Caterpillar prime mover I have had the pleasure of working on in over 30 years experience of Caterpillar products, I hope DRS have better reliability than I have experienced.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

DRS orders more class 68s from Vossloh

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/locomotives/drs-orders-more-class-68s-from-vossloh.html

This will bring the total to 32.

And this is reported to be carrying the first two of the new build. Heading for Workington.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived