EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

I have to admire this seller's optimism.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R6768-RAILROAD-OO-GAUGE-3-WAGON-PACK/224190512320?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3Ddb4708a0788a4050a295c15f77b05520%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D184475960307%26itm%3D224190512320%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D5411%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DHornby&_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940

More than twenty identical listings for set of three Hornby railroad wagons at £150 start price plus £8 postage.

Either very rare wagons which nobody else has in stock, or the listings, which were made yesterday, are all holding placements to take advantage of the weekend £1 maximium fees offer.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 2

Difficult to know how to value that. You probably won't find another, but does that mean it's worth £2000+?

What is needed to make it "worth" £2000+ is two wealthy railwayana obsessives who have got to possess that item no matter what.

Otherwise it's worth preservation as a piece of history as from a monetary viewpoint it's then only worth two cigarettes and a balloon

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The old Farish VBA van tooling that is as old as the ark (and it looks it) but wait!  splash some yellow paint and a couple of wonky Network Rail names on it and you can offer it up at an exorbitant price!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAHAM-FARISH-N-RESPRAYED-NETWORK-RAIL-VBA-VAN/133465161078?hash=item1f1324bd76:g:ro4AAOSwcFtfDbzu

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The old Farish VBA van tooling that is as old as the ark (and it looks it) but wait!  splash some yellow paint and a couple of wonky Network Rail names on it and you can offer it up at an exorbitant price!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAHAM-FARISH-N-RESPRAYED-NETWORK-RAIL-VBA-VAN/133465161078?hash=item1f1324bd76:g:ro4AAOSwcFtfDbzu

Rails of Sheffield ought to know better...  But I wager a 'Best Offer' would get a fair wedge off the £B-I-N.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Rails of Sheffield ought to know better...  But I wager a 'Best Offer' would get a fair wedge off the £B-I-N.

Have you ever tried best offers with Rails’ listings?

I suppose they do sometimes accept offers a fair wedge below BIN price....

But so far, not for me! ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

I've had 40-50% off a couple of times.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

I couldn't possibly comment - other than to say that I have been able to rein some selling prices back within my 'prepared to pay' or 'worth' range over the years.  And they've rightly pushed-back when I've tested them by pushing the boundaries, shall we say!

• Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

By jove, he does go on!

I bought a Hornby B12, complete and in running order dolled up as a "scrapyard loco"  a few years ago for a very reasonable price. Ok, it was one of the old tooling B12s, but it was also one of the China manufactured ones, so the mechanism was rather more refined than the older Margate versions.  It just looks very heavily weathered so I occasionally let it out for a run now and then!

Nowadays I'd expect a "scrapyard" B12 to be a Great British Locos static refugee at a similar price to what I paid for my working one...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

I'm waiting for them to latch on to Steampunk and treble the prices.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've hit the EBay barrier: I've not received goods ordered altho PO say it was delivered -my guess is goods left on window and stolen from there.. I raised a complaint and that was rejected.  I am  contemplating action under the consumer laws and have closed my account.

• Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, BMS said:

I've hit the EBay barrier: I've not received goods ordered altho PO say it was delivered -my guess is goods left on window and stolen from there.. I raised a complaint and that was rejected.  I am  contemplating action under the consumer laws and have closed my account.

In my experience EBay dont give a toss...I’ve complained about various people and activities and they did nothing .

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1