EBay madness

Marcyg

Just flicked through ebay, this item has been relisted @ £99.99 + P+P £9.20 as an auction...... couldn't belive it didn't sell @ £225.00 or best offer.

Interesting that the original item had a short listing "due to upcoming holiday", yet the seller was still around to relist it. Funny that.

• RMweb Premium

£128 for a Hornby Class 73?!?!?! :O

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-Class-73-Pullman-The-Royal-Alex-Brown-Cream-Li-/400125104372?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5d295090f4

This bloke is having a laugh surely... Also annoying that every word of each sentence is capitalised which makes it look extremely silly. Some punctuation would not have gone amiss either...

Annoying that every word of each sentence is capitalised which makes it look extremely silly. Some punctuation would not have gone amiss either...

Sadly, punctuation and Ebay seem to be mutually exclusive.

Also, and I'm not an unreasonable man, I think that from now on, anyone who writes "A Loco That Would Grace Any Layout" should be shot.

• Like 1

I think as long as you do your research and set a maximum you can get bargains, but you also get alot of failed bids.

You just have to keep at it. I have bought several loco's on eBay as low 50% of the trade prices, but you get the odd idiot who trys to sell a Hornby as a Wrenn.

What suprises me is where do they get there stock from? they can't all be dealers off loading can they? rails of sheffield for instance and even there you can get an odd bargain. missed 3x Commonwealth of Austraila boxed set sold for £140 amazing value.

Mike

Got earlier in the week 16 yards of brand new flex (well Hornbys semi-flex stuff) for 3p under £18 including postage - the seller had described it as "R.8090 track" so defeated anyone searching for flexible track or R8090. Only found it at the last moment searching for stuff ending soonest.

• RMweb Premium

I was contacted by ebay a few days ago to say they had removed an item from sale that contravened their policies that I had bid on and I should contact the seller if this caused a problem! I wrote back asking why as it was a carriage key which they had a number of others on sale and asking for the sellers name so I could as suggested contact them. I have now been informed by ebay that as they have deleted the item they have no record of the seller!!!!!!!

I have therefore written back and told them to close my account and cancel all outstanding bids as I do not believe them! If that is the way they conduct business then they can go play somewhere else.

Chris

Guest dilbert

I have therefore written back and told them to close my account and cancel all outstanding bids as I do not believe them! If that is the way they conduct business then they can go play somewhere else.

I closed my Ebay account a couple of years ago ... and still receive Ebay BS marketing mails linked to my email address. It may sound bizarre, but for convenience, I still use PayPal for the sporadic txn. As for Ebay, I don't even bother looking on their sites anymore...dilbert

• RMweb Premium

Chris 116. I understand your annoyance, but why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Today I received an e-mail from ebay saying that their previous replies had been misleading and that they have the name of the seller! They have given me his name and e-mail address and they have sent him the same information on me.

I thought if I told them to close the account they might suddenly find they had the information they were claiming they did not have and I have been proved right.

Account still open.

Chris

Sadly, punctuation and Ebay seem to be mutually exclusive.

Also, and I'm not an unreasonable man, I think that from now on, anyone who writes "A Loco That Would Grace Any Layout" should be shot.

Steve, I was just saying to Pete Harvey earlier that HobbyRail's got a couple of nice pre-owned Heljans in at the moment, you know they would grace any lay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Surely ebay is the same as Tesco, Sainsbury or Asda. You have a look around, you don't like what you see, you leave / don't buy. I don't see anyone starting a thread because sausages are 50p dearer in Sainsbury than they are in Tesco.

Why moan?

That is quite a good one.

RRP £4.99.

Best online price I found (in a couple of minutes) £3.83.

eBay price £30.77.

And there were four people who put in bids above the RRP.

Geoff Endacott

£30.77!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speechless

Guest Belgian

Sometimes it goes the other way . . . a new Hornby "Southern Suburban 1957" set has just sold for £87-65, which includes a Schools and three Maunsell coaches (the latter being the only way of getting low-window stock in BR livery). A Schools alone goes for around £90 or more usually - buy-it-nows ask up to £115!

• RMweb Premium

Ah, look at the seller name. SMCtoys aka the late (and very much NOT missed) Southampton Model Centre who shut up their real shop (if you could call it that, they used to shut on a Saturday including the day when the model show was in town!!) and now concentrate on flogging well overpriced Lima tat on Ebay, this being but one of their examples.

The prosecution also offers the following into evidence:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-OO-GAUGE-R6103-Hornby-2000-TANK-WAGON-RARE-/200373499154?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2ea730f512

They also list a lot of the other annual wagons as well and upwards of thirty notes a piece, avoid these cowboys like the plague!!