ModelRail USTC 0-6-0 Tank Loco Project USA

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I'd really appreciate advice on cleaning the rods on my 30071, don't want to do anything that makes it worse!

Surely your question has been answered in post #726 by Dibber25.

Send it back to Kernow as mentioned above seems to be the best option........

• Like 2

I've just checked mine and there are no black splodges on the coupling rods. Is it oil from the mechanism which has got spread around in transit? You could phone Kernow and ask them to exchange it for one without black splodges. If you try to remove it, you may well remove the weathering and end up with pristine rods on a dirty loco. Looking at mine again, after viewing your movie, I can confirm there is no black on the rods. However, I have noticed that mine (already having done a fair amount of work and handling) is starting to lose the weathering off the rods, and they are bright underneath. (CJL)

Hi and many thanks for the reply, missed it as no notifications oddly. Anyway, I found that gently rubbing my finger nail along the rods has removed the black marks easily, so no problem at all now :) great stuff

• Like 2

I received 30071 this week. It is going to become the Meldon Pilot.....or is it? This is such a superb model and beautifully finished that I wonder if I should 'spoil' it by converting it. Maybe I'll get another if Baccy/MR/Kernow decide that the Meldon version is worth a punt (hint.......) or I might just get another suitable donor and convert that as this item is worth just sitting in a display case in my lounge to be admired for its workmanship. This has to be one of the best looking loco models for a long while despite some thinking it had/has an ugly prototype.

Even the enclosed paperwork is top notch with beautiful diagrams and clear instructions.

Thanks you Dibber and Co, Baccy and kernow (excellent service as always).

Total bargain.

Phil @ SOSJ 

I'm sorry but Model Rail won't be doing the Meldon pilot. Bachmann required us to take everything we wanted in one go. The 10 variants we selected cover the total production run of some 5,000. It may be that Bachmann will issue USAs as part of their own range in due course, but that will not be until after we have sold all the MR models. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry but Model Rail won't be doing the Meldon pilot. Bachmann required us to take everything we wanted in one go. The 10 variants we selected cover the total production run of some 5,000. It may be that Bachmann will issue USAs as part of their own range in due course, but that will not be until after we have sold all the MR models. (CJL)

So, early next year then (judging by how quickly they've been selling)? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks dibbs; was tongue in cheek of course. However, any hints on how to get 71 to look like 62 would be excellent. (Yes I know I can renumber it :boast:)

Thanks

Phil 

Is the bunker removable or is it an integral part of the cab moulding? Maybe someone could do up a 3D print for it?

It looks to be one piece, integral with the cab. That would be logical because you have either the original cab and bunker or the SR cab and bunker two tools. It might be possible to cut the bunker off and fit a 3D printed bunker but I'm not sure about joining the two different materials. From what I've seen, so far, of 3D printed items, they have some way to go before the surface smoothness will match that of plastic. The SR cab and extended bunker would have required a third tool and it would, I think, be limited to only a couple of locomotives. I asked about doing the Departmental USA allocated to Redbridge Sleeper Depot, but again, it was one that we couldn't cover from the tooling that we had. Similarly, there was one of the 14 SR locomotives by a different builder. That would have required all manner of detail changes and for that reason we excluded it. (CJL)

.....The SR cab and extended bunker would have required a third tool and it would, I think, be limited to only a couple of locomotives..... (CJL)

Both 30062 and 30073 that had extended bunkers differed. 30062 having a vertical lower part to the bunker and 30073 tapered. 

HTH.

• RMweb Premium

Both 30062 and 30073 that had extended bunkers differed. 30062 having a vertical lower part to the bunker and 30073 tapered. 

HTH.

Most useful HTH; thank you.

I believe the bunker comes off easily so that should be a simple mod?

post-2326-0-79119100-1477332973_thumb.jpg

Here's '71' pretending to be '62.

Just need to try to get a drawing or picture of the 'extended bunker' (or do I just busk it?)

Phil 

Edited for case of absolute failure to read correctly.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Most useful HTH; thank you.

I believe the bunker comes off easily so that should be a simple mod?

attachicon.gifUSA tank Loco.jpg

Here's '71' pretending to be '62.

Just need to try to get a drawing or picture of the 'extended bunker' (or do I just busk it?)

Phil 

adb968008 posted a link to a picture in post #734

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How the #### did I not see that? My apologies. Thanks

Phil

Perhaps ones beak got in the way........

We don't have tooling to do the extended bunker. (CJL)

Maybe this will be the direction Bachmann can take if they decide to release it under their own program in a few years from now. I,d certainly buy a 4th if they did.

These models definitely have my vote for model of the year.

• RMweb Gold

Another useful model for the SDJR fraternity - apparently the US Army used several, when it had a stores operation on Highbridge Wharf in WW2! I am now trying to remember where I saw that - very recently - it's getting a bit like that now I've crossed the 70 mark!

OK  I've now found the reference - a quote from Pines Express in Chris Handley's excellent - The Maritime Activities of the Somerset & Dorset Railway.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

Another useful model for the SDJR fraternity - apparently the US Army used several, when it had a stores operation on Highbridge Wharf in WW2! I am now trying to remember where I saw that - very recently - it's getting a bit like that now I've crossed the 70 mark!

OK  I've now found the reference - a quote from Pines Express in Chris Handley's excellent - The Maritime Activities of the Somerset & Dorset Railway.

Any picture of what livery or number these would of been on the SDJR? 

• RMweb Premium

1285, livery would have been standard USTC livery, as it was pre delivery to Europe, Arrived Highbridge 15/1/43.

See here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71017-usatc-s160-locomotive-in-7mm-scale-well-thats-the-plan/page-2

see  well down the thread, posted by "KIngdom".

• RMweb Gold

In Chris Handley's note, quoting 'Pines Express - issue 192', he says that a number of War Department locomotives were operated by the US Ordnance during WW2 up to the end of 1944. One was allocated to the wharf, whilst others were used in extensive sidings & depot opposite the loco works.  They included USA 0-6-0T nos. WD1255, WD1285,WD1394 & WD1557 along with Sentinel WD70232 & a WD Ruston.

No photo & no livery details are given by Chris Handley.

Edited by phil_sutters