The human side of the railway...

Memories of a lovely trip in 2008 from Crewe to Carlisle and back where we enjoyed sumptuous food and stunning views during the journey.

post-10142-0-76365300-1363973822_thumb.jpg

post-10142-0-25189700-1363973844_thumb.jpg

post-10142-0-88387600-1363973825.jpg

post-10142-0-21481900-1363973801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 16

A couple of old photos, again from Dad.

attachicon.gifDriver and fireman of 3F at Basford c1950 JVol1055.jpg

Driver and fireman of 3F at Basford c1950 JVol1055

attachicon.gifRatcliffe Junction c1950 JVol1017.jpg

Ratcliffe Junction c1950 JVol1017

David

When you look at a picture like 1017 jpg it makes simpletons like me realise how unsatisfactory Peco track is in terms of realism. Moreover, it makes me regret my inability to tackle the 'roll-your-own' approach, so I'm not altogether decrying Peco Code 75 stuff, but do resent having to re-space sleepers. For my little wide-shelf jobby it's no big deal, but some of you seriously big modellers must have the patience of Job!

Hopefully, these B/W piccies will last longer now they are recorded with electrons and not emulsions.

How I wish this technology was around when I still had my [Royal Engineer] step-fathers 3" x 2" b/w photos in some recognisable form, to scan them and preserve them. Who wouldn't be amused/entertained by his pictures of 'De-lousing parade' featuring his railway team in their skivvies, using paraffin blow-lamps to kill bugs on the wire frames of their truckle beds in a Cairo railway yard...?  Oh! How slowly our evenings pass when compared with such socially inclusive escapades!!

Dave [and others] please keep posting....

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 2

Memories of a lovely trip in 2008 from Crewe to Carlisle and back where we enjoyed sumptuous food and stunning views during the journey.

..............I think it's very nice for an uncle to take his young niece on a railway trip! I hope you both enjoyed it.

I'm taking the O.A.P. I live with on a trip to the Kyle of Lochalsh, Fort William, and Mallaig and a trip on the Strathspey Steam railway at the beginning of April, plus a quick trip up the Cairngorm Mountain Railway with 4 nights in a hotel promising 'Scottish Breakfast'.....If that's Cornflakes with Bagpipes I'll not be too chuffed. Why? 'Cos it will be our 40th Wedding Anniversary. [Thinks-'you don't get that for murder, do you.']

So, from  SW France to Haggis-Land in April, am I mad?  Oh, she's taking this O.A.P. too..............Any recommends/must do-s?

Doug

• Like 4

Lowering the tone - and the quality! - a little, here are three small boys with a very big toy.

attachicon.gifSCN_0002.jpg

Waterloo. Can't be earlier than '57, as that's when I think 34053 was rebuilt, might be '58. I was a bit baffled by the loco, being well-aware of what a Bulleid pacific should look like. The train is one portion of the Atlantic Coast Express, which ran in multiple portions on Summer Saturdays, and we would be alighting at Port Isaac Road. Those are my twin brothers, and I am behind them.

Oh! Memories, I instantly thought of the smell of a damp, blue gaberdine mackintosh, and how I'd keep tripping over my toes in each years new Clarke's sandals  with their sticky crepe soles.

I shouldn't complain, growing up around garrison towns in the 50s I remember kids who wore plimsolls and/or wellies to school all year round, what their Dads must have thought when a private soldier's wages couldn't put good shoe-leather on their kids feet, 'Homes fit for Heroes' didn't accord with the shared lavvies of Buller and Montgomery Lines Quarters in North Camp/Aldershot. At least each Autumn I'd get a new pair of 'Tuf Stone breakers'.

In Class 4A1 of Queen's Road C.Primary School I felt so sorry for my chum David Durden, having to come to school in hand-me-downs.

His four older sisters weren't too pleased, either, I bet............:)

[No! Not like that.... his cardigans buttoned up the wrong way]

Doug

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mum "cabbing" a loco, probably at March or possibly Cambridge.

She has always liked railways and mechanical things.  Her first job after gaining her degree (Maths) during the war was working for Brush in Loughborough as a steam turbine designer.

Now, at 88, she spends her time doing various hobbies, including using her PC for photography as well as her tapestries and lace making.  She also has her own subscription to Railway Magazine.

Respect!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of railway staff and some superb film in this documentary from 1944:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYhsx9uDBJQ&list=LL6tvB2ePhEDQ-5lDZ_GjG9w&feature=mh_lolz

Back in the days when protection for lineside engineers consisted of a flatcap and a pack of cigarettes... 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

That film is interesting in so many ways, thanks for posting it.

Not sure a date like that would have made much of an impression today though. "Let's meet up at the terminus and go see a film about the terminus" :-)

Back in the days when protection for lineside engineers consisted of a flatcap and a pack of cigarettes... 

Excellent post - having undertaken many a track inspection and worked in that very throat............60 years after the film though

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

Checking the juice rail with the "Egg Box" at 8:00, still doing that 50 years later - wonder what's done now?

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Premium

It's still done with an 'Egg Box' actually!!!

Unfortunately it's days are numbered, as from 31st Jan, it will have to be done using a digital voltage tester, although the retention of the "box of eggs" for indicating live conductor rails adjacent to lines under possession will still be permitted.

It's taken an absolute age to reach this situation, I remember being involved in some of the first attempts to replace the Conductor Rail Test Lamp (to give it its' wonderful correct name) with an "indicator" type device waaaayyyyy back in 1983...............

Edited by Southernman46

A signal reversion captured in pictures (head to the flickr page to read a description):

Taken from the same site with some amazing snow pictures, now this is a seriously unprotected train !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got a tail lamp handy ?  :O

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepgreen2009/8325888632/in/photostream/

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

A couple of shots borrowed from the mess room 'rogues gallery' at Bardon Hill... non identical twins Neil and Alan Fraser strike a pose at St.Philips Marsh, Bristol on 1st April 1972 - both are now Freightliner Drivers at our Bedford depot...

post-7638-0-17155100-1364927768_thumb.jpg

And Neil again aboard 6319, 'the one that got away'...

post-7638-0-98806500-1364927822_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Another of Dad's at Stanton Gate, not all that far from Nottingham on the Erewash Valley.

post-5613-0-63329400-1364939653_thumb.jpg

Stanton Gate Tallymen c1952 JVol2025

They may well be shunters with tally sticks.  Were they the hand held device of the period?

David

• Like 15