Railex 2010 29th & 30th May

David Bigcheeseplant

A big thank you to Andy for providing Railex banners, I now think I have seen all of them I have counted six.

This time next week the weekend starts for me, even though this is the sixth year I still worry no one will turn up, is this a fear other exhibition managers get?

David

Never worried about numbers through the door David (although expoEM is a bit different and not about generating an income for a local club which is often so important). Three things bother me greatly.

1. Will everyone who expects a bed get one! ie Have I forgotten to give anyone's names to the hotel?

2 Will it all fit in the hall once we get out the tape measures and mark out what looks great on paper!

3 Will the traders go away happy. No one can sustain a show without support from traders and if they don't make money they won't turn up next year. Of course this might in part be related to visitor numbers, but for exoEM and Railex it is probably more about the quality of the visitors rather than absolute numbers through the door.

I have exorcised the memories (almost) of caters walking out during saturday morning and exhibitors trailer deposited in a lake on sunday morning

None of the above intended to add to your nerves ahead of the show. As usual I'll be there wearing the "Dad trapsing around with son" hat as well as serious modeller with shopping list wanting to see some great layouts and catch up with some friends. the nervous looking exhibition managers hat can stay at home on this occasion.

gee vee

Never worried about numbers through the door David (although expoEM is a bit different and not about generating an income for a local club which is often so important). Three things bother me greatly.

1. Will everyone who expects a bed get one! ie Have I forgotten to give anyone's names to the hotel?

2 Will it all fit in the hall once we get out the tape measures and mark out what looks great on paper!

3 Will the traders go away happy. No one can sustain a show without support from traders and if they don't make money they won't turn up next year. Of course this might in part be related to visitor numbers, but for exoEM and Railex it is probably more about the quality of the visitors rather than absolute numbers through the door.

I have exorcised the memories (almost) of caters walking out during saturday morning and exhibitors trailer deposited in a lake on sunday morning

None of the above intended to add to your nerves ahead of the show. As usual I'll be there wearing the "Dad trapsing around with son" hat as well as serious modeller with shopping list wanting to see some great layouts and catch up with some friends. the nervous looking exhibition managers hat can stay at home on this occasion.

gee vee

I think the first year 2005 was the most worring as we really had no idea if people would turn up or if everything would work. Hopefully we have refined things each year many improvements do not get seen by the general public.

This year my other half is dressing up and selling programmes on the routemaster bus on the Saturday.

I do spend ages doing the floor plan on AutoCAD and making sure everything fits, its only on the Friday and Saturday that you find out if things have gone to plan or not! I work out the plans in mm but need then to convert and print the floor plan in feet and inches as that’s what our marking out people prefer, it takes four gangs of two people two or three hours to mark the floor.

I try to ensure that visitors, layouts and traders have a good time at Railex as it’s important to keep people happy and return the following year, I invest in layouts that may have come from the extremes ends of the country or even abroad so hopefully there will something new or fresh to the majority of our visitors,

Remember some traders don’t take plastic so bring your cheque books and plenty of cash, and make a list, how many times have I gone to a show and forgot some bits I was planning to buy.

Oh MRJ 199 should be on sale at Railex its due from the printers next week.

David

• RMweb Gold

programme.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We had boxes of the programmes delivered yesterday avalible for £1 on the door and also on the vintage bus on Saturday from my other half.

last year we sold out by Sunday afternoon, never really too sure how many to print although around 40% of people do buy one.

David

What a gorgeous front cover David. B)

Another good reason to get along to RAILEX will be to see QUAY:87 - Brian Harrap's clever and highly innovative portrayal of a Belgian dock yard in Proto 87. Complex track fanatics will love what he's achieved!

post-6681-127455924756_thumb.jpg

Pic © Chris Nevard / Model Rail International

• RMweb Gold

Sadly not going to be able to make it now, despite the show being fairly local to me (and it being quite a nice drive between Buckingham & the show.)

Stuck going to a cousin's wedding on the Saturday, followed by a frantic early morning rush to Lords for the test match on the Sunday.

SWMBO and I are coming on the Saturday, trying to get there early. I've also been told that I'm treating her to a meal on the way home.

We're coming to see Clinkerford and Totnes especially. Obviously we'll get round some more. SWMBO got a bit of the railway bug when we went on an anniversary weekend in Somerset, so I'll be guided by that influence. I also want to show her Chris's (High Level) pocket calculator, to explain why I need to push so much money his way to fill his pockets. I'm also going to point her in the direction of Malcolm Smith, as she's way into buildings. And I've just noticed that Nunstanton is there - after seeing it at ExpoEM I want to spend more time there. We will be visiting 2ManySpams on Treneglos - apparently we live quite near each other but have not yet met, and looking to see folks on the RMWeb stand.

Traders? I'm afraid that nothing specific comes to mind. Depends on what takes the fancy. Books, however, are another matter.

Google indicates that the walking distance from Aylesbury station is around 1.5 miles, going via the school side seems to be the shortest route. Put Aylesbury Station and Elm Farm Road, Aylesbury into Google directions walking. Google does not seem to acknowledge the existence of the path under the railway, but it is there!

Walking route

EDIT: perhaps not - National Rail site states there are engineering works on the line all weekend. Will probably drive after all.

Google indicates that the walking distance from Aylesbury station is around 1.5 miles, going via the school side seems to be the shortest route. Put Aylesbury Station and Elm Farm Road, Aylesbury into Google directions walking. Google does not seem to acknowledge the existence of the path under the railway, but it is there!

Walking route

EDIT: perhaps not - National Rail site states there are engineering works on the line all weekend. Will probably drive after all.

Why did you want to walk when we are running a free bus from Aylesbury Railway station direct to Railex and return! The train times we have shown are correct for that weekends engineering work.

Below is the bus we are using on Saturday

David

post-186-127462370007_thumb.jpg

Why did you want to walk when we are running a free bus from Aylesbury Railway station direct to Railex and return! The train times we have shown are correct for that weekends engineering work.

Good point! I'm taking part in this and it is already getting pretty competitive at work:

GCC 2010

I'll be out on a 5 mile walk this evening when it's cooler to get my step count up. Only on 3,336 so far today.

It's also good exercise to walk and useful to know how far in case I miss the bus or it's full.

Hello All

I have added a formatted version of the Bus Time Table to the website.

This is a one page pdf file which you can print off.

Railex Bus Time Table

For those one cannot make the Free Vinatge Bus service (Saturdays only), may we suggest the No 50 bus route as indicated in our "By Bus from Aylesbury Bus Station/Town Centre" section on the Venue & Location Page.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Good point! I'm taking part in this and it is already getting pretty competitive at work:

GCC 2010

I'll be out on a 5 mile walk this evening when it's cooler to get my step count up. Only on 3,336 so far today.

It's also good exercise to walk and useful to know how far in case I miss the bus or it's full.

If the bus is full we may do another trip straight after on the Saturday plus there ia always the No.50 sevice bus that runs every half an hour and takes you on the same route, if you decide to walk it should take around 25 minutes to stadium on a very gentle grade.

Remember tickets can be brought from an hour before the show starts as the cafe and balcony areas are open.

David

Google maps reckons about 1.6 miles walk for me, but that's mostly because it's trying to go all round the houses - basically taking the route I'd drive there. The walking route is pretty direct, and goes over the railway line, which it obviously knows nothing about!

I hope people will use the bus on both Saturday and Sunday as it will ease the parking around the stadium.

We have also a survey that if you fill in will and hand in to stand No.1 be entered to a draw to win a couple of tickets for Railex 2011. We do like comments good or bad as this allows use information for the future planning of the show.

David

• RMweb Gold

I will be assisting Andy on the RMweb stand all weekend so please come and say hello (I will be the one with hair!) Am looking forward to what as usual promises to be a great show.

I am also pleased that members of the neighbouring High Wycombe and District MRS will once again be on hand to help David and his team with stewarding throughout the weekend.

I will be assisting Andy on the RMweb stand all weekend so please come and say hello (I will be the one with hair!) Am looking forward to what as usual promises to be a great show.

I am also pleased that members of the neighbouring High Wycombe and District MRS will once again be on hand to help David and his team with stewarding throughout the weekend.

The help we get from the Wycombe club is a great bonus, we are still a little short on stewards this year but hopefully we will cope. We also have one layout that is short on operators too, so we may have to help them out too.

New Mills will be running for the first time in its 1960s period, I have been weathering some of the goods and coaches for the owner, if you like what you see and want a quote then PM me!

David

• RMweb Premium

What a gorgeous front cover David. B)

Wot no spamage????

Must get back out to the garage or Treneglos's new fiddles will never be finished for the show.... 16 hrs between coats of paint... i think not....

Does anyone know about the engineering work on saturday? I am coming from marylebone and was wondering if i'll get a direct train or will it involve any changes as it does not mention this when i got my ticket n trainline, I was wondering if it would affect the journey times much?

Archived