Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

I received  a  multi product  order  yesterday Dec6th   it  contained  an item ( loco  £150+)  which  proved  to  be  faulty unfortunately,  I spoke  to  a  nice  lady  who asked me  to  return it,

I posted  it to  them  late  the  same  day

I have  just  received  emails advising  me that    I have been refunded  the   cost  and  my return  postage and  also  a refund  for  the next 18 decoder which I bought  for  the loco  but  will not  now  need!

Another  example of  the excellent  service  Hattons  provide

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seems to be a problem with ordering via the website at the moment? Hope it gets fixed soon.... got an order to make!

What is the problem?

They sometimes pop into this topic and there have been intermittent issues for some of us for a long time now.  Hattons seems unable to replicate or rectify those problems which appear to relate to software incompatibility.  

• RMweb Gold

Hattons' prices seem to be getting higher and there seem to be fewer bargains. For instance Hattons is offering the forthcoming R3435 Royal Mail for £162 which is the same as many local model shops are likely to charge. Rails of Sheffield is offering the same model for £134.50.

Robin you should shop around rather than expect Hattons to be the cheapest, that's why I hardly buy anything from them these days.  :smoke:

• 4 weeks later...

Just fired off an email to Hattons re this but having seen other retailers announcing arrival of O gauge Dapol 10ft wagons and indeed on this site being delivered, I ordered 2 different types. One has been depatched with the correct postal charge. I guess the other will follow shortly with yet another postal charge. You would think they could send an email asking if they could send them seperate.

Anybody else had similar?

Regards Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hattons order form gives you the option of shipping items as they become available or of waiting until everything is available and then sending it all in one parcel. No need for e mails.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• 2 weeks later...

They currently have a winter sale with some good special deals  (I got D5300 for £59). This is in addition to the offer items on their normal bargains list. 

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=151&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=FacebookWinterSaleItems&utm_medium=Social

I do wonder when looking at their staff profile, whether a discount model railway outlet can afford 66 employees. 

:locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Are they all full time?

I don't know; I suspect not.  However one worked enough time to pack my order and click the button which generates the relevant email.

One cheap class 26 is headed this way.  A class I have always been rather fond of, possibly through association with the SR class 33 which is a favourite, but have never before taken the plunge.  I have absolutely no use for a Scottish Region loco yet own a pair of Claytons.  So a 26 (or McRat to some) might at least feel not entirely a stranger in the camp and I could represent some sort of Highland operation if all I am left with is space for a single track and a train shuffling along a plank.

• RMweb Gold

Good service from Hatton for me, first time I've bought mail order since the move to Widnes, TTS 67 arrived fine by Royal Mail as requested when ordering, email trail throughout and delivered in the timescale stated

Purely by chance I called into the shop yesterday as I finished work in the area, a very 'sterile' shop floor compared to the old shop, really lacking in character, plenty on display loco and carriage wise though, won't bother calling in again, curiosity satisfied and all that

The worst thing though (and obviously not hattons fault) was the roadworks they are doing for the Mersey gateway interchange, how on earth one of the main roads out of Liverpool can have temporary traffic lights on it for such a long time is beyond me, despite my shortest way home being over the Runcorn bridge then over to Acton bridge, Winsford etc I actually ended up leaving north via the M57 and into M62 all the way back to the M6 and south from there, I did however use the opportunity to call into sawyer models in earlestown too so all wasn't lost (although I left my wallet at home yesterday morning so I couldn't be tempted at either shop!)

I don't know; I suspect not.  However one worked enough time to pack my order and click the button which generates the relevant email.

One cheap class 26 is headed this way.  A class I have always been rather fond of, possibly through association with the SR class 33 which is a favourite, but have never before taken the plunge.  I have absolutely no use for a Scottish Region loco yet own a pair of Claytons.  So a 26 (or McRat to some) might at least feel not entirely a stranger in the camp and I could represent some sort of Highland operation if all I am left with is space for a single track and a train shuffling along a plank.

Sir, may I remind you that the class 26 was a GN loco when introduced! Then those guys with the funny skirts pinched them and took them North of the border.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sir, may I remind you that the class 26 was a GN loco when introduced! Then those guys with the funny skirts pinched them and took them North of the border.

Stewart

Quite so.  And while not mentioned in my post that fact was not overlooked in my mind.  Neither was the fact of the Claytons also appearing on the NER (frequently) and the LMR (sometimes).  Furthermore classes 26 and 33 ran side by side for a time on GN metals as the latter once worked through freights from the SR.

Knowing Hattons my loco will already be somewhere in the transit system and possible even airborne as we speak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not good service for me from them. Order mid December many phone calls and switchs of carriers and finally arrived mid January. Rails from now on with post prices and free postage. 

B

I often find it takes Hattons quite a few days to actually despatch an order, Rails seem to send the same day if ordered in the morning, and I find Rails often cheaper.

• Like 1

Not good service for me from them. Order mid December many phone calls and switchs of carriers and finally arrived mid January. Rails from now on with post prices and free postage. 

B

It would help the good folks on here and also those at Hattons if you gave a bit more detail as to the nature of the product and the problem.

I don't want to point the finger at you, but we have had the odd comment recently on certain threads, where the poster has had either a very big axe to grind or is deep in another companies pocket.

Bernard

It would help the good folks on here and also those at Hattons if you gave a bit more detail as to the nature of the product and the problem.

I don't want to point the finger at you, but we have had the odd comment recently on certain threads, where the poster has had either a very big axe to grind or is deep in another companies pocket.

Bernard

I'm in nobody's pocket but my own!

I ordered the goods as stated.....they missed Christmas and were presents which were paid for by other members of my family which was bad enough and i was not being able to open the pressy in front of them......but Christmas post etc..... so i rang Hattons 3 times on consecutive days to be told its being sent today or we are waiting for the carrier to pick it up on x day.............all of which must not have been true... eventually they changed carrier and it arrived..........Basically poor service to a customer who has spent lots of money over the decades with them, but not anymore as they are not that cheaper than other retailers or e-bayers.

B

Hmmm, I have used hattins a fair bit over the last 10 years, but I can't really see myself using them again. They are a bit like Tesco - used to be all that but others have caught up and in some cases surpassed them.

I can find similar prices, but I can also find faster delivery , because as mentioned above I find when they are busy, its not exactly a quick turn round .

I'm new to model railways and I'm building up my supplies, track, locos, scenery. I've had problems with Hattons I've used them 4 times and each time I've had issues. I placed an order Sunday and mailed them today (Friday) it still hasn't been posted?! It's only paint and grass, but I wanted the stuff to continue over the weekend :-( At the same time I ordered from 5 other suppliers and all arrived by Wednesday.

They did replace a faulty loco however, I sent back the 6 pin decoder which I purchased as they asked me to, and when they placed the loco it was a different 6 pin decoder, one of the old decommissioned (blue) ones. They did send a replacement, but not the best of starts for me. They're not my first choice now, which is a shame, I like their website...

Edited by gb93616

• RMweb Gold

If you order more than one item there is an option to decide whether Hattons post them out as they become available or whether to wait until they have everything. Be sure to make the choice you really want as that could be the reason for some of the "delays".

• RMweb Premium

Some shops are selling new locos cheaper than Hattons sell them secondhand.

Not only Hattons.  

The moral of that tale is to shop around.  Hattons' prices will be governed to an extent by the big suppliers and permitted discounting.  The playing field is a bit more level than it was a couple of years ago.  I suspect they are also factoring in the overheads of now running a distribution warehouse as opposed to a high street shop.  

But I still found a better deal on a NSE-liveried 50 of the most recent batch outside my regular haunts when at least most of the big names, including Hattons, had it listed at much the same somewhat higher price.