Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

Hi Matt

I NEVER use Hattons, much preferring to support my local model shop, and pay the extra.

Use it, or lose it.

Bob 

Why the need to capitalise 'never'?

I FREQUENTLY use Hattons and have done so since 1968.

Just saying.

• Like 1

I am in New Zealand, and there are only a handful of retailers that supply British model railway equipment over here. I live in Hamilton, fourth largest city in NZ with a population of 150,000. We have one model shop, and they have perhaps 6 or 7 Hornby locos, and about 20 items of rolling stock, some Peco track and that's it. *IF* they have something I want I will buy from them - even if it costs me a bit more, but otherwise it is over to the Internet. I have used Hattons several times and found them to be efficient and not charge the earth for shipping.

They get the "thumbs up" from me.

As good as Hattons are- and I have used them often, did anyone else notice how their price of the NSE class 47 went up to £89.21 a couple of days before it came into stock? A bit naughty that I think.

And as their main opposition still have it for £86.36 and post free at the moment, you can guess where my money went!

As good as Hattons are- and I have used them often, did anyone else notice how their price of the NSE class 47 went up to £89.21 a couple of days before it came into stock? A bit naughty that I think.

And as their main opposition still have it for £86.36 and post free at the moment, you can guess where my money went!

Isn't that why they (Hattons) offer a pre-order price ? - and in my experience always honour it.

• RMweb Premium

their price of the NSE class 47 went up to £89.21 a couple of days before it came into stock? A bit naughty that I think.

I'm afraid I can't see anything remotely naughty in that.  Unpopular perhaps with some potential customers but not in any sense naughty.  Hattons usually do offer a pre-order price which they always honour even if the list price rises before the item is in stock.  No doubt they make a small loss on a few items through that in order to gain greater and more profitable business.   Whether they can then honour the pre-orders when stock arrives is another matter; they have had their own orders for some items cut making it impossible to fulfill all the orders they took.   While that sucks for those who may lose out there is again nothing wrong with that - they have legitimately taken advance orders against the quantity they themselves have ordered from the manufacturer.

Looked at another way if we are able and willing to commit to a particular rail journey some time in advance we can often obtain a discounted (sometimes very heavily discounted) fare; if we wait until the train is in the station before paying we pay the full fare for the journey.   Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.  It's called market pricing.  We might not agree with it and we might not all be in a position to pre-order something as soon a it is announced but just as with rail fares Hattons themselves are actually making their goods as attractive as possible and only lifting the price to nearer the RRP once items are in stock.  It's also worth bearing in mind that even the RRP isn't a fixed selling price. There is nothing wrong with asking more than that.  Apart from the likelihood of losing business to a competitor and losing reputation in the face of "overcharging".

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that why they (Hattons) offer a pre-order price ? - and in my experience always honour it.

Other sellers likewise.

If the price from the manufacturer has risen by the time stock arrives they will inevitably sell that extra stock at the new price when it arrives.

Keith

I don't usually bother with pre-orders for main stream items, as you never know when something is going to be released far into the mists of time, and like busses 3 or 4 items may arrive at once (anyone care to guess what month, or even year the aircon MK2s will arrive?). Rather I chose to wait until it is available to see what I want/can afford in a given month, as we all have a budget.

In this case I feel vindicated as I saved £4 postage on Hattons pre-order price by going elsewhere and I now have a nice new NSE shove duff in front of me. Perhaps I was wrong to call it naughty, but I couldn't help but feel cynical about it when I saw the price rise just before release.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say Hattons have excelled themselves today.

I ordered some items yesterday evening at about 17.00 hours,payed £4 for courier delivery and they arrived at 12.30 today.

I have used them since 1974 and have never had one single problem. Delighted of Grantham.

• Like 3

It seems to be a perfectly acceptable business model to me.

Hattons have always worked on the principle of flexible pricing to fit in with supply and demand.

I reckon they have been doing this longer than a certain airline.

It can only become more common with the current trend to shorter production runs.

If you wait you might get an item a few bob cheaper at another supplier, but you do run the risk of a delivery selling out and either having to miss out or pay inflated ebay prices.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely nothing wrong with Hattons pricing policy.  We have the option to pre-order often at a discounted price.  Once the item is in stock (or is known to be on its way to the warehouse) they can lift the price to the "normal" over-the-counter value.  Even if that's more than the RRP they aren't breaking any law.  It's a "Recommended Retail Price" after all and not a mandatory maximum.

They are in business to make a profit.  I'm very sure they sell and ship some items at a loss at least so far as postage is concerned.  No-one else can get locos from the UK to Australia for (sometimes) as little as £3 for example.  They make that profit as they see fit and I don't begrudge them that.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No-one else can get locos from the UK to Australia for (sometimes) as little as £3 for example.  They make that profit as they see fit and I don't begrudge them that.   

One off items won on ebay in the UK can cost more than Hattons charge for a large package within the UK.

I think that their basic Royal Mail postage charge of £4.00 is good value.

Some times I do find items cheaper elsewhere but then I either have to drive some distance to get it or pay more postage. However sometimes I do wait till a show where items can be cheaper but not normally by much.

Ian

The Brutes are now sold out at Hattons, within the first day I believe. They were selling at £1.05 over RRP. and still sold out. It all works out in the wash I suppose you save a bit on one thing but pay a little more on another. I prefer Hattons full stop as I don't have to create a half dozen different accounts with other vendors just to save a few pence. You have to look at the whole picture sometimes especially when having items shipped overseas. 

Edited by thebritfarmer
  • Like 1

It seems to be a perfectly acceptable business model to me.

Hattons have always worked on the principle of flexible pricing to fit in with supply and demand.

I reckon they have been doing this longer than a certain airline.

It can only become more common with the current trend to shorter production runs.

If you wait you might get an item a few bob cheaper at another supplier, but you do run the risk of a delivery selling out and either having to miss out or pay inflated ebay prices.

Bernard

See my post #108!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has Hattons dropped Yodel, I ordered the other day and have the confirmation that the parcel is in the post and will be delivered tomorrow ( Thursday ), Normally its come with Yodel or Royal Mail in the past but the link for tracking is to City Link, so are city link and Yodel Connected or has Hattons decided to take there business elsewhere ?

SGJ

Has Hattons dropped Yodel, I ordered the other day and have the confirmation that the parcel is in the post and will be delivered tomorrow ( Thursday ), Normally its come with Yodel or Royal Mail in the past but the link for tracking is to City Link, so are city link and Yodel Connected or has Hattons decided to take there business elsewhere ?

SGJ

I can answer my own question

http://www.ehattons.com/list/EventDetails.aspx?EventID=9

SGJ

I have been buying quite a few items from Hattons in recent months. I just had a surprise phone call from them ... I am in Australia and they (in the UK) have a bank holiday today! The gentleman from Hattons wanted to inform me that my NRM 2 BIL had tested fine (I always request that they test locomotives before despatch) but that a plastic part was loose and may drop off again. He asked if that was acceptable to me and I said that was fine and that I am quite capable of clipping, or even gluing, any small parts back on.

He and I had quite a pleasant chat about that and other things, at their expense. I am very impressed with this level of service and the effort they went to.

Top marks, to Hattons and their dedicated owners/employees!  :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes today is August Bank Holiday in England and Wales (not Scotland who had it a few weeks ago) but in common with most of the retail sector in the 21st Century Hattons work seven days and only close for Christmas and Easter.  Still good to have had the call today of all days though.

• Like 1

Just received a Bachmann DCC class 105 from Hattons, looks great. Just need some track actually wired up to my NCE to test it!

Should note that I'm in Boston, US. so local model shops are only usable for scenically and control.

Back in the UK, used to use Norman Wisenden's in Greenfield.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by Steve O.

I used  to  go  to N WISSENDEN'S  shop for  0 gauge,  I am not  sure if  it  is  still trading,  i believe  it  was  sold  some  years  back.  I just  googled  and  there  is an entry  showing with  a website under construction  and   an address id Stalybridge.

Edited by Stevelewis

Hi just to let you know that I had a most helpful encounter with  Kev in Hattons

he  delt with a  slight problem I had  with a return 

I have been dealing with Hattons for many a year and cannot speak but highly of them

Many thanks Kev

David Wexford Ireland

Edited by bluefredie

I've never had an issue with their sales branch.

However, a little over a month ago I had a hit on a listing I had with their ModelTrade website (a listing long forgotten, I might add). I dutifully posted the model the next day. A month later, I'm still waiting for my money despite contacting them twice and being assured that the money would be in my account "later today or tomorrow". Having never used their ModelTrade service before, I can only hope it's a one-off.

• RMweb Gold

Problem with a loco I purchased from Hatton's a couple of months back, email sent on a Sunday afternoon reply within 10 minutes. sent item back on Monday refund in bank by Thursday. first rate service from them from start to finish thanks to all at Hatton's that's what you call customer service.