Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Oh those exhibitors today have got it easy, drive into hall 4 at the NEC and offload, set-up and then go and park,

What a interesting weekend with the guys and gals wearing their costumes. 

Warley is in hall 5.

Bill

• Like 1

In the context of how it was written I'm not sure what costumes had to do with it, Going back it hasn't always been in hall 5. For exhibiting the likes of the NEC, Glasgow, Ally Pally and Barrow Hill (Deltic Shed) must be the easier to set-up, but offloading onto a wagon and being shunted to your location is interesting, a pity that there were no photos of the move.

Did 'regular' already mean 'normal' or 'standard' then, or still mainly mean 'at equal intervals'?  I know I'm getting old (all right, got), but the first meaning still sounds wrong to me. Am I that far out of date?

I reckon regular petrol is petrol you buy once a week, every week, same day, same time. Or, at most, the 'normal' petrol for you, because you buy it regularly - habitually.

The difference was in octane levels. Regular was primarily suitable for engines with low compression ratios. Higher performance vehicles, with a higher compression ratio, ran best on higher octane petrol; I.e. Super. The peril of running too low an octane fuel was pre-ignition or ‘pinking’ which had the possibility of damaging pistons.

Michael

I clicked agree to mdh1950's post above, as that is generally the case. My 1973 Rover P5B V8 was designed to run on five star. I bought her in 1982 and ran on 2 star leaded which made her pink under acceleration. I adjusted the ignition and this cut down the pinking. When 2 star leaded was replaced a few years ago I began to use bog standard supermarket 95 ron - again a slight adjustment to the ignition and she has never pinked since - starts and runs better than ever. I do add a bit of lead replacement fluid at each refill - I suppose this helps, but 'nowt changes if I forget to add it !!.

I had to rebuild the SU carbs as this new petrol caused the carburettor gaskets to leak, due to ethanol content I believe - a simple & cheap job and all is now OK (till petrol becomes unavailable !!). SU refurb kits, parts etc are readily available from Burlen services.

Sorry for the non model drift !!

Brit15

• Like 4

In the context of how it was written I'm not sure what costumes had to do with it, Going back it hasn't always been in hall 5. For exhibiting the likes of the NEC, Glasgow, Ally Pally and Barrow Hill (Deltic Shed) must be the easier to set-up, but offloading onto a wagon and being shunted to your location is interesting, a pity that there were no photos of the move.

i remember at least one picture appeared of the layout being loaded at Didcot appeared in the modelling press of the time.

• RMweb Premium

The Witham club used to store a layout in a 12 ton Vanfit at Mangapps Railway Museum, and that use to be shunted every now and then. If John had a special day we would set a layout up in a CCT and visitors would pop in and have a butchers. Exhibiting in a railway carriage is that on par with a layout being delivered on a wagon?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Witham club used to store a layout in a 12 ton Vanfit at Mangapps Railway Museum, and that use to be shunted every now and then. If John had a special day we would set a layout up in a CCT and visitors would pop in and have a butchers. Exhibiting in a railway carriage is that on par with a layout being delivered on a wagon?

I am aware that there is an OO model of Bodmin General in a Mark 1 carriage, at Bodmin General station on the present day heritage railway, at least there was a couple of years or so ago. I don't think it was intended to travel much, though.

There is one gentleman who, amongst his friends in the South West at least, is well known for attending exhibitions with his layout using public transport. Maurice Hopper has even taken some of his delightful S gauge layouts on Eurostar, as far as I can recall. I believe he attended at least one RMWeb Members Day at Taunton with a layout, using public transport from and back to home.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I am aware that there is an OO model of Bodmin General in a Mark 1 carriage, at Bodmin General station on the present day heritage railway, at least there was a couple of years or so ago. I don't think it was intended to travel much, though.

There is one gentleman who, amongst his friends in the South West at least, is well known for attending exhibitions with his layout using public transport. Maurice Hopper has even taken some of his delightful S gauge layouts on Eurostar, as far as I can recall. I believe he attended at least one RMWeb Members Day at Taunton with a layout, using public transport from and back to home.

Hi Tim,

Alan Monk (aka Cloggydog) takes a small diesel depot layout to exhibitions on public transport along with some modelling when he demos for DEMU.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I would agree that a lot of people are happy, as long as they can see something moving. On a smaller layout, especially a branch line, that really means that you have to indulge in a fair bit of shunting. That's fine, as long as you (the operator) are happy indulging in this. Fortunately for me, I do like shunting, as long as I'm not too tired to use the 3-link couplings properly and as long as my back isn't playing up (lower back pain certainly isn't helped by having to lean over a layout to couple up using a small hook and some 3-link couplings!)

Prior to the formation of our local club (the Devon Riviera Group of the S4 Society, near Teignmouth), I could never be quite sure of getting sufficient operators on any given weekend, as the friends that usually helped out were a disparate lot and came from various differing points of the compass. As such, I have planned my layouts to be operated by one person (me!), in the event of fellow operators being hard to come by (I appreciate that the hosting club could sometimes offer someone to assist and I have, on occasions, gratefully accepted such help).

I am now, fortunately, able to call on several keen and enthusiastic friends from our group to help me out at shows and this then gets reciprocated when one of the others takes a layout out.

As such, however, I have always planned for a fair bit of shunting on my layouts, to keep things moving.

On 'Engine Wood', which was based on the Somerset & Dorset in North Somerset, my little conceit was that BR locos weren't permitted into the nearby NCB colliery, due to the poor state of the track, so the local NCB loco was given running powers over the BR line, to an Exchange Siding at 'Engine Wood', where rakes of loaded mineral wagons would be berthed for later collection by BR. This then resulted in an 'engine and van' being dispatched to collect the loaded coal wagons. The whole operation would also be done in reverse, once the removable coal loads had been removed in the fiddle yard.

As 'Engine Wood' as a passing place on a single line, I would always insist on operators working the signals in the correct manner, when crossing trains in such a location.

'Bleakhouse Road' is based on the Highbridge branch of the S&D, albeit in a location south of the Polden Hills. The premise is that an independent company built a line across the South Polden Levels, providing a direct link between Glastonbury and Taunton. 'Bleakhouse Road' (named after a local farm) was the only crossing place on the single line but the section south towards Taunton is supposed to have been closed in the early 1950s. It is also the junction with the South Polden Light Railway, which ran across the Levels to various peat works and a military depot near Westonzoyland.

The exchange of traffic between the light railway and the BR line allows for plenty of shunting and also lets me indulge my penchant for light railway and industrial loco types.

Here is an 'aerial' view of Engine Wood. The Class 3 2-6-2T nearest the camera was built in 1995 from the 'late lamented' Kemilway kit. Looking at this photo now and in the context of comments on this and other threads, I find my excuses weakening for not providing lamps at exhibitions ('impractical' due to the amount of shunting). As an aside, I did initially devise a way of using tail lamps on trains at shows, but the use of 3-links/screw links was already stretching the willingness of my long-suffering operating team, so I didn't push it!  Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

attachicon.gif070127_enginewood_DSC_4339.jpg

The waiting shelter at 'Engine Wood' is a model of that from Midsomer Norton:

attachicon.gifew_platform-shelter1.jpg

48706, one of the last 8Fs in service at Bath Green Park shed, awaits the arrival of the NCB 'tripper' at 'Engine Wood'. The loco was built from the Comet kit, which used the earlier Hornby loco body as a basis, albeit with a replacement etched brass cab and etched brass tender etc. Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

attachicon.gifFeature4.jpg

73051 was also a Bath Green Park loco, seen hear departing 'Engine Wood' with a stopping service to Templecombe. The loco was built from the DJH kit, albeit using a tender from a Hornby 'Britannia'. Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

attachicon.gifFeature8.jpg

82044 was the last of the BR Standard Class 3 tanks to be built and was shedded at Bristol Barrow Road at the time. It was also the only Standard 3 tank to feature an unlined bunker, with the number under the cab windows. The loco is based on the Bachmann body, with one or two added details, together with a modified Comet 76XXX chassis (I just couldn't get the Bachmann chassis to run smoothly and no one does an 82XXX chassis kit, now that the Kemilway one is no longer available). The lovely tree in the foreground, by the way, is the work of my very good friend John Farmer (Re6/6 on this forum). Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

attachicon.gifFeature7.jpg

If I can achieve a fraction of the atmosphere inherent in 'Engine Wood' with my long-projected 'Evercreech Junction' during the same time-frame, I will die happy!!

The cohesive, consistent modelling that is so strikingly apparent here portrays the character of the S&DJR in a way that, IMHO, is unparalleled.

The impression is of a system still functioning as intended; (though not for much longer); and providing for the needs of the community it serves with little or no signs of neglect or lack of commitment.

Unfortunately, that could not be said for many other similar lines approaching enforced redundancy.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

. For exhibiting the likes of the NEC, Glasgow, Ally Pally and Barrow Hill (Deltic Shed) must be the easier to set-up, but offloading onto a wagon and being shunted to your location is interesting, a pity that there were no photos of the move.

There were, Charlie,

Published in BRM in the summer of 2000.

. For exhibiting the likes of the NEC, Glasgow, Ally Pally and Barrow Hill (Deltic Shed) must be the easier to set-up, but offloading onto a wagon and being shunted to your location is interesting, a pity that there were no photos of the move.

There were, Charlie,

Published in BRM in the summer of 2000.

Exhibiting in a railway carriage is that on par with a layout being delivered on a wagon?

Or exhibiting a Q7 on a Q7?

post-508-0-12994800-1546708578.jpg

(Yes I know. I've posted that phot. loads of times before.)

P

• Like 12

I would agree that a lot of people are happy, as long as they can see something moving. On a smaller layout, especially a branch line, that really means that you have to indulge in a fair bit of shunting. That's fine, as long as you (the operator) are happy indulging in this. Fortunately for me, I do like shunting, as long as I'm not too tired to use the 3-link couplings properly and as long as my back isn't playing up (lower back pain certainly isn't helped by having to lean over a layout to couple up using a small hook and some 3-link couplings!)

Prior to the formation of our local club (the Devon Riviera Group of the S4 Society, near Teignmouth), I could never be quite sure of getting sufficient operators on any given weekend, as the friends that usually helped out were a disparate lot and came from various differing points of the compass. As such, I have planned my layouts to be operated by one person (me!), in the event of fellow operators being hard to come by (I appreciate that the hosting club could sometimes offer someone to assist and I have, on occasions, gratefully accepted such help).

I am now, fortunately, able to call on several keen and enthusiastic friends from our group to help me out at shows and this then gets reciprocated when one of the others takes a layout out.

As such, however, I have always planned for a fair bit of shunting on my layouts, to keep things moving.

On 'Engine Wood', which was based on the Somerset & Dorset in North Somerset, my little conceit was that BR locos weren't permitted into the nearby NCB colliery, due to the poor state of the track, so the local NCB loco was given running powers over the BR line, to an Exchange Siding at 'Engine Wood', where rakes of loaded mineral wagons would be berthed for later collection by BR. This then resulted in an 'engine and van' being dispatched to collect the loaded coal wagons. The whole operation would also be done in reverse, once the removable coal loads had been removed in the fiddle yard.

As 'Engine Wood' as a passing place on a single line, I would always insist on operators working the signals in the correct manner, when crossing trains in such a location.

'Bleakhouse Road' is based on the Highbridge branch of the S&D, albeit in a location south of the Polden Hills. The premise is that an independent company built a line across the South Polden Levels, providing a direct link between Glastonbury and Taunton. 'Bleakhouse Road' (named after a local farm) was the only crossing place on the single line but the section south towards Taunton is supposed to have been closed in the early 1950s. It is also the junction with the South Polden Light Railway, which ran across the Levels to various peat works and a military depot near Westonzoyland.

The exchange of traffic between the light railway and the BR line allows for plenty of shunting and also lets me indulge my penchant for light railway and industrial loco types.

Here is an 'aerial' view of Engine Wood. The Class 3 2-6-2T nearest the camera was built in 1995 from the 'late lamented' Kemilway kit. Looking at this photo now and in the context of comments on this and other threads, I find my excuses weakening for not providing lamps at exhibitions ('impractical' due to the amount of shunting). As an aside, I did initially devise a way of using tail lamps on trains at shows, but the use of 3-links/screw links was already stretching the willingness of my long-suffering operating team, so I didn't push it!  Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

48706, one of the last 8Fs in service at Bath Green Park shed, awaits the arrival of the NCB 'tripper' at 'Engine Wood'. The loco was built from the Comet kit, which used the earlier Hornby loco body as a basis, albeit with a replacement etched brass cab and etched brass tender etc. Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

73051 was also a Bath Green Park loco, seen hear departing 'Engine Wood' with a stopping service to Templecombe. The loco was built from the DJH kit, albeit using a tender from a Hornby 'Britannia'. Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

82044 was the last of the BR Standard Class 3 tanks to be built and was shedded at Bristol Barrow Road at the time. It was also the only Standard 3 tank to feature an unlined bunker, with the number under the cab windows. The loco is based on the Bachmann body, with one or two added details, together with a modified Comet 76XXX chassis (I just couldn't get the Bachmann chassis to run smoothly and no one does an 82XXX chassis kit, now that the Kemilway one is no longer available). The lovely tree in the foreground, by the way, is the work of my very good friend John Farmer (Re6/6 on this forum). Photo by Andy York, courtesy of BRM

What evocative images.........

You must fit lamps, though. The S&D had its own code to differentiate between passenger and goods trains. Not displaying these spoils an otherwise most-convincing rendition.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

Not much progress to report on the building of the old Nu-Cast V2 - a trip to Norwich intervening today.

post-18225-0-26102000-1546710537_thumb.jpg

Nonetheless, the tender is all but complete, and more has been done on the loco. 

These old kits still appear from time to time on ebay and on second-hand stalls. Dump the original white metal lump of a chassis (or melt it down for ballast) and substitute Comet's and you're away. I still think they make into as good a V2 as would satisfy most, and the haulage power is prodigious.

Anyone else out there built one (or two, or three, or four......................... like me)?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Lovely photos of a very good layout!

What you have also done is to create interesting operation by observation of the real thing and applying it to a fictional location.

I have a Nucast Q6 , J21 and J27 all still with the original  white metal chassis , they must've been built 30 + years old and all still work very well. Detail and Boiler sizing (Q6 , J27) however isn't as good as more modern kits . 

Interesting videos on the latest Hornby Lord Nelson thread with it pulling 9 coaches with ease on the level, perhaps Hornby have been listening ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129899-Hornby-announce-sr-4-6-0-lord-nelson/page-12

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd post the results of my Christmas modelling efforts which involved finishing off my Mailcoach/ 247/ MJT BTO/TO pair ex West Riding as below.

post-19760-0-79063600-1546715696_thumb.jpg

More details of the build are on my workbench thread at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135510-coulsdon-works/?p=3357918. This pair completes my early '50s West Riding set. It is formed (almost) as per the 1951 carriage workings (thanks Robert C):

BTO/TO (as above)

FO (Southern Pride Thompson standing in for an artic FO pair as happened from time to time)

RT/TO (D&S kit? ex John Houlden bought via Tony)

CK (Bachmann Thompson)

TK (Bachmann Thompson)

BTK (Bachmann Thompson)

BCK (Mousa/ MJT end Vestibule Gresley)

CK (Kirk end vestibule Gresley bought on eBay)

TK (Bachmann Thompson)

TK (Bachmann Thompson)

BTK (Bachmann Thompson)

The video on the link below shows the West Riding hauled by A1 60117 (newly fitted with DCC sound) along with the other two key modelling items which I completed over Christmas. Namely I've installed my first ever working signals (Tony your nagging has paid off). They may only be Dapol, but they're a step forward for me. And finally I've weathered, weeded out the most offensive wagons (I hope) and '3-linked' my trip coal set. 

On this video, I've tried to feature the best of DCC sound. I know this won't please everyone (sorry Tony!), but I think it sounds pretty convincing, particularly the EE Type 1. 

Andy

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I used to use a layout in a CCT attached to the cafe in the mid-90s when we did overnighters - could that be the same one? I have no idea what actual location it represented, far too long ago!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

13 coaches on that steam loco, Wish my R T R locos would pull that, 

If you mean my A1, then yes, it's pretty good. It will manage a lot more than 13 if they're all RTR.  It's basic Bachmann with no added weight, but it outpulls my DJH A1. It's the new version with DCC gubbins in the tender, so they may have added more weight in the loco. 

Andy

• Like 1