DapolDave

Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

IMG_4385.JPG

The motor pushes into two lugs to secure it

Does your motor vibrate? I can see the lugs but these don’t secure the motor from up/down movement.

Wow! it has to be stripped down that far to fix all the problems? 

Only, I guess, if it displays those problems. Really, for the benefit of the manufacturer getting feedback about his products, it should be returned under warranty. The warranty will be invalidated by that kind of dismantling. I have two 122s and they both run very nicely without any attention at all. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

No,there should foam pad on top of the motor which acts as a damper when the seating unit is refitted on top.My 122 had thiis missing and sounded like a herd of bees.Now added it runs very quietly.

Model railway magazine reviews exploded views show this pad eg Hornby July 2017

Many thanks railcar1. All has become clear. This pad is missing on all my models. Edited by mevaman

Only, I guess, if it displays those problems. Really, for the benefit of the manufacturer getting feedback about his products, it should be returned under warranty. The warranty will be invalidated by that kind of dismantling. I have two 122s and they both run very nicely without any attention at all. (CJL)

There was nothing wrong with the loco, in fact it was a perfect silent runner, it was stripped to create a dummy, all the parts will be kept for future spare if needed. The point of the picture was to show others how the motors are secured.

• Like 2

Following the modifications to my 122 models to stop the motors vibrating, all ran sweetly on our Club test layout last night. All started running slowly but soon speeded up after several circuits - running in is definitely required!

I ran them together with the Bachmann 101. The difference in carriage lighting was noticeable. The Dapol models are much brighter. The lack of passengers was most apparent in the 122s and will be my next job.

• Like 1

I'm renumbering my blue railcar, can anyone recommend transfers to use?

• Like 1

Is there any news on the timing of the Class 121 models?  

I see in the Dapol B4 thread that the photo catches most of the blue & grey version (W55029) but there has't been much information recently about delivery dates - any ideas?

Thanks

Jeremy

Asked today, the picture below is the production models, due to release in the next week or so.

post-20773-0-28531100-1511709168_thumb.jpeg

Asked today, the picture below is the production models, due to release in the next week or so.

Are the corners of the grey on the blue/grey model a smaller radius? Good news if they are.

Roy

Is the headcode box correct? On the plain BR blue and B/G versions it looks as if there is a distinct curve on top (as per the Class 118 DMUs), whereas they should be straight across. And it looks like they had perpetuated the error with the Class 122s with the vehicle number at the wrong end on one side.

A Dapol Facebook page today says they've arrived.

Is the headcode box correct? On the plain BR blue and B/G versions it looks as if there is a distinct curve on top (as per the Class 118 DMUs), whereas they should be straight across. And it looks like they had perpetuated the error with the Class 122s with the vehicle number at the wrong end on one side.

A Dapol Facebook page today says they've arrived.

Looks curved to me. (CJL)

post-1062-0-68287700-1512050237_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Does anyone know if transfers are produced for the 2 Kettering to Corby blue and grey class 122's that ran for a while please.

My unit is now finished. Sound fitted, passengers & drivers installed, renumbered 55006, destinations 'Stockport' & 'Stalybridge' added and weathered.

The sound is great but a bit quiet (two sugar cubes in luggage compartment) as the sound cannot escape, transfers from RailTec. I have managed to lose one exhaust pipe though, I suspect it caught on my jumper and pinged off never to be seen again.

Scary close up pictures.

post-19248-0-74824000-1512051979.jpg

post-19248-0-93528800-1512051992.jpg

post-19248-0-14353000-1512052006.jpg

• Like 1

I'm renumbering my blue railcar, can anyone recommend transfers to use?

Hi

I'm planning to use HMRS sheet 15 pressfix as I want to renumber as SC55002 with GG logo. Did you have any problems removing the original lettering?

Best wishes

Max

Hi Max,

Just dabbed some enamel thinners on, then scrubbed away with a wooden’chisel’ made from a cocktail stick. There are many other ways eg using T-cut.

Hi Colin

You've done a nice job with the renumbering etc. I hope the missing exhaust shows up soon! I must admit that I'm tempted to get a couple of custom Rail Tec sheets for the number and destination blind. It's been a long time since I used pressfix transfers and I think the Rail Tec waterslides will be neater.

All the best 

Max

Looks curved to me. (CJL)

Interesting thanks. I always understood the Class 121 headcode boxes were the same as the Class 117s as both were made by Pressed Steel. Looking at photos of 117s, some look straight and others look curved. Now I'm confused, as that curve was I thought the main "tell" between 117s and 118s... 

Edited by brushman47544

Hatton's ltd ed 121s now all in stock.

Just had an email from them that they  have processed my order for the Arriva Wales unit :)

Hatton's ltd ed 121s now all in stock.

Also been advised by Hattons e-mail that all 4 general release versions are in stock as well. Edit correction - the e-mail is a bit confusing about the general versions, they say in it that they are 'also available to order' so may not yet have been received. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by rembrow

Just had an email from them that they  have processed my order for the Arriva Wales unit https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_smile3.gif

payday tomorrow, will be following suit with the arriva unit, was torn between that or the chiltern one (as i used to work for them) but as i have the wag express and ATW 153 i thought id go for that one (and i used to work for them too!)

• Like 1

How easy is it to install a sound chip and speaker? Funds mean I wont be buying it ready fitted at this time, but would like to fit one at a later date...

Does anyone know if transfers are produced for the 2 Kettering to Corby blue and grey class 122's that ran for a while please.

They were, because I've got them on a Lima model that I repainted. Sorry, but I haven't the slightest idea where they came from - Mike Watts at Fox, maybe. (CJL)

How easy is it to install a sound chip and speaker? Funds mean I wont be buying it ready fitted at this time, but would like to fit one at a later date...

Easy, but you need to buy the right speaker from DCC Supplies. I showed how in Model Rail an issue or two ago (sorry I don't have them here to check). Youchoos and Legomanbiffo both do sound chips for them. (CJL)