Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

Any tips about good transfers for it?  Fox don't seem to do them, Railtech only have them in O, and Parkside Dundas only seem to do yellow.

post-7221-0-08037500-1404822175_thumb.jpg

post-7221-0-07063700-1404822179_thumb.jpg

As it happens, I've just completed 2 x 2mm Chivers kits. Transfers are from Railtec (#3701 - Parcel Van Details Tare / XP / Length) though this seems to be omitted from their website in the 2mm Section and there's no 4mm version as you've found. Incidentally, the 7mm Blue Parcels CCT transfer sheet is different from the 2mm sheet I received, the main difference being no Express Parcels on the 2mm version

It would be worth contacting them as I'm sure they'll print a 4mm version of either.

I also did a custom sheet for PMV / NQV for a couple or Dapol 2mm repaints (below), you're welcome to a copy of the artwork .

post-7221-0-67548400-1387373328_thumb.jpg

Paul

• Like 4

Thanks, all, for your kind & helpful comments. Every time I look at the an now I am happier with it - I tend to be hyper-critical of my own work and of course it's not done yet.  Weathering will hide a multitude of sins!

I'll chase up the decal ideas.  I may well be grateful for your artwork, Paul.  Now to let the thread get back on track!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the kind advice,  I've now completed three wagons, a SR CCT, LMS CCT, and GWR Fruit D.  Finished in Railmatch acrylicss (rail blue, roof grime and frame dirt), some Humbrol enamels and Tamiya acrylics, Modelmaster decals, and crepe paper and PVA to make the wrinkly roof canvas:

IMG_3180.JPG

Decals are purely to give an impression!

Amongst the things passing across my increasingly untidy workbench at the moment are four SR GLV's, The one at the rear is an etched Chivers kit, mostly built by someone else, I've fettled the roof and then fitted it out, added the final underframe detailing and gangways and primered it - I'm not sure what colour it will get painted, probably BR(S) green, but crimson is a remote possibility.

post-336-0-83310600-1409410375.jpg

The next one is a Roxey conversion of the Triang, with a re-shaped roof, new bogies and the door kit -it been in this state for the best par of a Decade, possibly two.

The front pair are new acquisitions, I have the Roxey detailing kit and doors etch for one, and the other will be built with whatever I can find in my parts bins. The roofs of the two nearest Roxey vans follow the Chivers van - it's previous owner had two roof mouldings from the Ratio van B, and had chopped one up to provide enough length for the GLV. An email to Peco determined the roof was still available as a part at £4 each, so I ordered 4, to provide enough for these and a scenery van that I also have in stock.

Jon

• Like 3

It's a lovely shot of what must surely be ex-works stock from Wolverton; almost as shiny as my first Hornby-Dublo train set in 1959..

Those vans are curious, as they seem somewhat more careworn than the rest- perhaps conveying parts or coach batteries?

The six-wheel ones could be:-

http://cdn.zenfolio.net/zf/img/null.gif  or  

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsfish/h1d6f2cb2#h1d6f2cb2

The four-wheel one looks like:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/h1e6e5e71#h1e6e5e71

Edited by Fat Controller

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I can't post the precise link here (I've tried) but the September 2014 update of the Kier Hardy EM website

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk

Has some excellent models of ex big four parcels stock on Greg Brooke's Shenston road. Just as I remembered them - a beautiful mix of ancient stock being fostered together and loose shunted into the parcels bay at Temple Meads.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Those vans are curious, as they seem somewhat more careworn than the rest- perhaps conveying parts or coach batteries?

Various 6-wheel vans were used as 'Cell Trucks' conveying coach batteries to and from the main works. A number of photos of the earlier LMS 6 wheeled fish vans appear in Dave Larkin's books (and elsewhere), and the later slab-sided vans (your second link) went into departmental use too.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well Chard

What a find the second photo is. Nice to see a LMS cream van in a train. Anyone know what diagram the GWR full brake is as they all look similar to me (bit like GWR locos).

Clive, I shrieked and snorted like a pig when I found the second one.  As if the filthy EE Type 4 isn't enough, the rake is simply ludicrous in its variety.

Can we itemise it do you reckon?

1. LMS 50' BG?
  2. GW Fruit D?
  3. LNER BZ?
  4. BR CCT
  5. SR B
  6. BR CCT
  7. LMS CCT?
  8. LMS Cream Van
  9. LMS?
  10. ?
  11. SR PMV?
  12. BR GUV?
  13. ?
  14. CCT?
  15. BR BG
Edited by 'CHARD

Clive, I shrieked and snorted like a pig when I found the second one.  As if the filthy EE Type 4 isn't enough, the rake is simply ludicrous in its variety.

1. LMS 50' BG?
  2. GW Fruit D?
  3. Stove?
  4. BR CCT
  5. SR B
  6. BR CCT
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. LMS?
  10. ?
  11. SR PMV?
  12. BR GUV?
  13. ?
  14. CCT?
  15. BR BG

I think 3 is an LNER BZ,

7 an LMS CCT,

8 an LMS Cream van (corridor side),

Edited by asmay2002

• RMweb Gold

Well Chard

What a find the second photo is. Nice to see a LMS cream van in a train. Anyone know what diagram the GWR full brake is as they all look similar to me (bit like GWR locos).

My guess would be a K41 or K42 Collet BG.

• RMweb Premium

1. GWR BG, see Taz's answer
  2. GW Fruit D
  3. LNER BZ
  4. BR CCT
  5. SR B
  6. BR CCT
  7. SR BY, the periscopes on the roof are the give away
  8. LMS Cream Van
  9. LMS GUV
  10. BR GUV 3 small rain strips
  11. SR PMV or CCT
  12. BR GUV
  13. LMS BGZ (StoveR)
  14. CCT
  15. BR BG

Hi Chard

I have filled in the gaps and sorted out the question marks.

Edit Whoops number 14 is another LMS GUV

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Clive

Isnt the 7th vehicle an LMS 4 wheel CCT? I thought the 5th vehicle was a SR BY it only has two large doors - with one small centralish door - see the rainstrip arrangement. It doesn't look like it has bogies to me. As you say the penultimate van is a LMS bogie GUV.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Clive

Isnt the 7th vehicle an LMS 4 wheel CCT? I thought the 5th vehicle was a SR BY it only has two large doors - with one small centralish door - see the rainstrip arrangement. It doesn't look like it has bogies to me. As you say the penultimate van is a LMS bogie GUV.

Paul

Hi Paul

My error, number 7 is a LMS CCT and the BY is number 5.

yours

Clive (wearing his pillock head on).

Can't remember seeing this in the thread before.

6608552131_9a734121d3_b.jpg61237 near Heaton Lodge with a vans train 3 September 1966 by pondhopper1, on Flickr

Steam and pandrols.

P

The person on the footplate's looking back and asking 'What happened to the rest of the train..?'

Is this taken somewhere near Mirfield, which had some sort of 4-aspect signalling? Those 'searchlight' signals behind the train are unusual, at least to me- they remind me of some that used to be on part of the DC Lines out of Euston.

• Like 1