Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Thanks for that. Well a bit more tonight. No windows in yet as I still need to airbrush the roof and tackle the underframe proper.Just a wash on there at the mo. Really liking how this is turning out though!!

attachicon.gif20130928_031624.jpg

attachicon.gif20130928_031651.jpg

Cav

Great weathering. I always chicken out of heavy weathering on the underframe. Too scared of messing up the wheels and gears !

Evening Cav, some great detail and really good weathering mate. just need a whole load of stock now.

I was looking at a largish Scottish N Gauge layout at the Loughborough Show today and trying to add up the stock cost, with some long rakes of coaches and freight it was a frightening sum. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

Thanks for that. Well a bit more tonight. No windows in yet as I still need to airbrush the roof and tackle the underframe proper.Just a wash on there at the mo. Really liking how this is turning out though!!

attachicon.gif20130928_031624.jpg

attachicon.gif20130928_031651.jpg

Cav

Hi Cav, just had to stop by and say the peak looks amazing mate. Nice one!

Cheers Arnie, It'll look good on a rake of mk2s. Still need to finish it off when I get 5. I'll also be getting some grime onto 47190 and 37688 too in the not to distant.

Cav

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The bridge was indeed the usual mid grey that was applied in the 1950s and 60s to steel structures. But the railings were darker and it is difficult to make out whether they were 'tar' black of maybe LMS brown. A colour photo I have in mind appears in 'London Midland Steam in Colour' by Hugh Ballantine (Janes Publishing 1984).

I think Andrew P has a point concerning colours during the period of your layout, but going off Millers Dale as it was up to closure might be a safer bet..

I've only just caught up with this thread and seen the comments regarding the bridge colours.

Here's a photo taken of the old viaduct railings taken Ca 1974.

I seem to remember that the grey was the type (that to me) that was used throughout the NW by BR; it seemed to have bright sparkly bits in it (can't think of a better way to put it! ). Maybe it was meant to be a paint equivalent of galvanising.

The photo has suffered by being taken on a dull day using an instamatic and then getting damp which has caused discolouration to the top half.

post-6748-0-79824400-1381432708_thumb.jpg

Another photo that may be of interest, a new use for an old MR (style) telegraph pole!

post-6748-0-06371400-1381432734_thumb.jpg

It was situated on the up side of the line, the Bakewell side of the viaducts

I remember the exact paint. Many bridges and structures were painted in it. Tapton footbridge in chesterfield was such a structure and I spent many many hours on there as a kid. I think the paint is a zinc rich metal coat which does the same job as galvanising, although not quite as well. However it can be recoated if chipped off so maintaining the protection. Thanks for the photos theyre great I think the grey zinc paint is the way to go!

My thoughts today have turned to the yard shunter. I initially thought of the typical 08 but I am actually doubting the use of a br shunter stationed at a private user distribution yard. I am now instead looking towards something more akin to a private owner shunter of some kind. I am seeing 03s and 04s pretty cheap and wonder if one of these in a private owner livery would be likely in 1988!

Edited by RBE

I thought as much. What would the restrictions be on running it onto the mainline to collect wagons from a freight service dropping off? I dont need to do that if it is a no no but would give a little flexibility.

Hi Cav

It is feasible. I have a Railfreight Today Scotland video somewhere with a prototypical operation although can't remember what the traffic is. But the private shunters work from one side of the ECML to the other. It could be cement come to think of it. I will try and take a look when I get a chance. But yes perfectly OK to do.

Great work on the bridges and rolling stock Cav, been having a catch up of your posts.

With regards to private owner locos, although its a much larger scale than a single private siding, the Corus/Tata shunters from Port Talbot work into Margam Knuckle yard to collect empty rakes of steel carriers, so it's obviously a permissible thing to do. Due to their size, they are only allowed onto certain roads of the yard, no that this would be an issue with a Drewery!

jo

Cheers chaps. Well I think Ill go for that then. I may need to use a match truck for the track circuiting issues that the little shunters used to have but may add interest. So do we think an old worn br livery with maybe a logo on or a full private owner colour scheme?