Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Its urged me on to get my farish 31 re livered.

From MGZR yellow oops i mean network rail yellow... to RF.

I'm sure this question is answered already Cav but ain't got me specs on, whats the dimenaions for the layout? Baseboard looks good Cav nice and strong....

Cheers

Jack.

Lovely work Cav. Will you be having several of each in the various liveries?

Not sure what youre asking? Several of each what? Classes of loco?

Its urged me on to get my farish 31 re livered.

From MGZR yellow oops i mean network rail yellow... to RF.

I'm sure this question is answered already Cav but ain't got me specs on, whats the dimenaions for the layout? Baseboard looks good Cav nice and strong....

Cheers

Jack.

The overall dimensions of the layout is 12ft x 3ft with an extra 1ft of fiddle yard that bolts across the back.

It will be nice to get it started proper.

Cav

• Like 1

I think the 47s will be the most numerous. I have a large logo and a railfreight now but I certainly need an intercity one and a banger blue. Not many other standard liveries around derbyshire back in 88. Could do a triple grey maybe.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav

Wow!  Can't believe after 30 pages I have only just discovered this topic.  Spent a very enjoyable hour+ reading it from start to finish...

The layout plan is really good, and I'm really impressed with the work you've done so far on buiding up stock.

Looking forward to following progress!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Cav,

Too much class 47 variety might not look right for 88, Large logo or banger blue was probably most common. I remember seeing a pic of the first Inter City class 47 in the Peak district working a freight, I will have to look it up and find the date as it was looking a bit tatty.

Cheers Peter.

Trouble is you are referencing a timeline where there was no passenger through route. In the altered reality of a main passenger route from the midland main line to manchester I find it hard to envisage that intercity 47s wouldnt have made it over there.

Cav

Hi Cav

Wow!  Can't believe after 30 pages I have only just discovered this topic.  Spent a very enjoyable hour+ reading it from start to finish...

The layout plan is really good, and I'm really impressed with the work you've done so far on buiding up stock.

Looking forward to following progress!

cheers

Ben A.

Cheers Ben hopefully I will have more to show layout wise soon.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav

Glad you've got your PCAs sorted out.  I assume you'll be planning to fit them with your own couplers?  Have you had a chance to test them yet?  I'd be very interested in getting some for the fixed formation freight trains on Horseley Fields..

Also, have you had any thoughts about producing a variant of your design for use in NEM sockets with close coupler mounts?  Could be very useful for Farish Mk1s and the new Mk2s...

cheers

Ben A.

I will be using the couplers yes. I have only tested them so far as pulling a few wagons around a curve with my hand. I could really do with getting a full rake fitted out and pull those to see what effect the full weight of the train has on their behaviour, I dont see too many problems though. The coach ones should be fine as they work on a double pivot. I need to design the mk2 version still. I would love to do a nem version but don't have any nem coaches to base it on at present. It may be worth picking up a couple of the new mk2s in order to develop one though when they are available.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

The non-aircon Mk2s are already available.  Also, the CAM pivoting system features on the more recent "blue riband" Mk1s and they've been out for a while too.  I'd have thought Mk1s would still feature on your imagined line in the 1980s wouldn't they?  BGs, GUVs and TPOs if nothing else!

cheers

Ben A.

Yes certainly. I have aleady got a fair bit of the older style coaching stock and don't really want to mix and match with the new in the same train at least as it would look odd I feel. However I do need to form some parcels services and may be able to use the newer GUVs and BGs for those. If I get hold of a set I will look into doing the couplers as a plug in item.

Cav

Well my new pcas have arrived today and very nice they are too. Very detailed and well finished. I wont be using my current 3D couplers with these though as they are NEM equipped so I will instead develop a version to clip into the pockets and maintain the look of my other couplers. Watch this space.

Cav

• Like 1

Thought Id just pop a quick picture of a couple of the PCAs on to show what we are dealing with. I have 15 of these weather up, should be fun. I could really do with changing the running numbers on 14 of em but OMG!! It may be worth getting some custom decals done for them to suit.

post-6894-0-57374700-1377675763_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3