Stations at seaside resort towns - suggestions please

• RMweb Gold

Hi, what about the end of the line St.Ives in Cornwall

The OP spec included this "with a through-line and a couple of bay platforms / terminating lines" which rather rules out ordinary termini, however bijou.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, what about the end of the line St.Ives in Cornwall

attachicon.gifst.ives7.png

then

attachicon.gifst.ives4.png

now

Take your pick which era to build 

Nigel :good:

That second photo isn't a potential model railway, its a car park.Thats progress for you I suppose.A beautiful location totally ruined imo.

Plenty of scope in Scotland, Oban, Mallaig and Kyle of Lochalsh all have seafront locations, in the case of Kyle, half the station is in the sea!

Yarmouth Beach was an extensive station and further north there were Hemsby and Caister, both pretty close. Hunstanton was almost on the seafront and Cromer Beach wasn't far off either.

• RMweb Gold

What I'm hoping to achieve is to create a believable fictitious location by looking at prototype locations to make it look believable, similar to how Southernboy has done with Frankland, looking at features of the London suburbs expansion and used key features of that area to produce a believable layout.

I'm looking at doing similar for a Northern resort town served by the LMS / ex LMS or LNER

Use the setting of Arnside (not quite 'sea' but still tidal) and add some bay platforms or resite Lancaster Green Ayre to the Arnside setting.

Maybe I've read this wrong, but I thought the OP wanted a through station with a couple of bays? Not a terminus.

A terminus that could be altered to have two lines continue on would work.

Like Leigh in Essex, would move the station along a bit and replace the quiet seaside front with a prominade similar to that found at Scarborough or similar.

Will continue to look through suggestions, lots of food for thought, didn't realise so many stations were built so close to the sea!

Stick with Cleethorpes, even if it is on the beach, and continue either the seaward or middle pair of tracks southwards to form the little known Joint GCR/GNR direct coast line linking Mablethorpe, Sutton-on-Sea and Skegness, thus removing the need for the Mablethorpe loop line.

There seems to be a gas works/electicity complex to the North of the Station and the tall Victoria Terrace and Pier buiding to the South of the station for possible scenic interest.

It might just be possible to have a mini-Dawlish section to the South, as there appear to be some "cliff gardens", although the cliffs are a bit feeble heightwise, so maybe ending in a cutting rather than a tunnel.

A pair of the terminal platforms might to be southward facing to receive East Midlands trains, which might be OK, as there appear to be additional station buildings to the landward side, which could replace "demolished" facilities at the platform ends.

Hello Black Sheep,

terminus station with through roads and on the seaside. A big call. One that may help is Whitehaven, three or was it four through platform roads along with two? bay platforms. It also has the advantage of a tunnel right on the end of the through platform roads. down side is that it's about half a mile from the shore.

OzzyO.

A good choice. Eminently modellable and quite a simple matter to move it shorewards. Have a wander around the area on Google Earth for scenic ideas!

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Not in the UK but try looking via Google Earth at Brighton Beach station in Melbourne, Australia for at least proximity and track plan.  Two through and one terminal roads with a couple of sidings and right on the beach as well.  That's the best I can come up with.

How about Whitley Bay or Monkseaton.  I don't think either had bays but a little modeller's licence could be used to add some.  Potential for running Tyneside electrics alongside loco hauled excursions.

Goodrington (Sands) station on the laterday Paignton & Kingswear preserved line. Not the most stunning architecture but v close to the sea at the far end and the coach sidings could be included with a bit if compression for added interest

Dan Spalding

A little bit south of a previous poster, my suggestion would be Tynemouth. Through platforms, bays to the north and south. Or Redcar Central, bay at the north end, and amusement park on the landward side.

• RMweb Premium

A terminus that could be altered to have two lines continue on would work.

Like Leigh in Essex, would move the station along a bit and replace the quiet seaside front with a prominade similar to that found at Scarborough or similar.

Will continue to look through suggestions, lots of food for thought, didn't realise so many stations were built so close to the sea!

You mean like Leigh-on-Sea had been rebuilt in its old location, rather than relocated? Granted a lot of the character would have gone, but you'd have your station!

Hello Black Sheep,

I would still have a look at the possibility of Whitehaven, in this photo the wall at the front could be converted in to a wall on to a promenade. The hill at the back could be your back scene.

post-8920-0-64874300-1363611528_thumb.jpg

The exit off at one end.

post-8920-0-97461400-1363611500_thumb.jpg

Arnside, you did have the junction that was used as a long bay in later years.

Both of them in the north worked by the L.M.S.

OzzyO.

Sheringham in Norfolk probably just about fits - through lines, bay/terminating trains off the GE line. Reasonably close to the "sea" , some of the station buildings remain as part of the NNR and station well covered by photographs and some drawings.

There are plenty of stations by the sea, but it's the terminating/bay bit of your spec' which is the hardest to sort!

Paul

How about Southend Central on the LTSR. Through lines, two bays and heaps of holiday specials in the summer.

I'm plotting and planning a seaside resort town in the late 40's early 50's similar to Scarborough but with a through-line and a couple of bay platforms / terminating lines.

The closer to the seafront the railway is, the better (Cleethorpes is perhaps a little too close!)

Scarborough would be ideal if it was a bit closer to the front and not as steep. The front and the town are a bit too segregated for what I'm wanting.

If anyone can suggest resort towns to look at on google earth that might help with ideas and inspiration for the town's layout I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

A little bit south of a previous poster, my suggestion would be Tynemouth. Through platforms, bays to the north and south. Or Redcar Central, bay at the north end, and amusement park on the landward side.

I've just realised that I actually meant Cullercoats rather than Monkseaton but having had a look on Google Earth I'd agree that Tynemouth looks very promising, impressive platform canopies and all.

Guest Natalie Graham

Ayr came immediately to mind too as fitting the layout plan but you'd have to model a lot of town before you got to the sea. Largs might be an option, it didn't have through lines but you could assume a ficticious extension of the line up the coast to Wemyss Bay. Or using that premise Wemyss Bay itself. Fairlie Pier in that area almost has it, except the through lines to Largs don't go through the platforms but branched off as the line came out of the tunnel and passed behind the station. It definitely fits the seaside criteria though. Think Kyle of Lochalsh but more out to sea.  ;) Ardrossan Town is another in that area with the right track plan but it is on a short branch and the through lines only went down to the harbour and again you probably wouldn't get the sea in the model unless you want a lifetime project and model the harbour lines too.

It is a pity you want the through lines as I have always thought Skegness would be a great subject for a layout. The only station I know of where the prototype had a fiddle yard. 

• RMweb Gold

How about Whitley Bay or Monkseaton.  I don't think either had bays but a little modeller's licence could be used to add some.  Potential for running Tyneside electrics alongside loco hauled excursions.

I think that Whitley Bay may have had a bay in the past. But Tynemouth definitely did. OP will need to like modelling canopies for that one though!

Do we know how much space OP has? Rhyl perfect but large and complex. Lytham might be worth a look.

Archived