A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A few of my shots on the SDR and two prairies, 5542 and 5526 were in steam. Delightful.

attachicon.gifDSCN1528.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1529.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1530.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1532.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1533.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1534.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1562.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1563.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1565.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1569.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1570.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1571.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1572.JPG

Can't really be doing with shiny preserved locos or railway museums, but the track and ballast look great.  Full marks to the SVR for getting the right mix of diluted PVA and washing-up liquid. 

John C.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Nice snaps of the new Hornby Toad. It does look good.

As an aside how does it compare with the Airfix/Bachmann AA13 conversion you have?

Cheers,

Mark

With going away I missed this Mark so here's a side by side comparison before I spray the Hornby roof a dark grey.

post-126-0-54349400-1500807988_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifth.jpeg

Man in a Bubble

Bin there, see it, then got the tee shirt . 

It's a must do when you visit rip off railways (WHL) up the road.

Pat McGoohan 

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

For those that still want one the new Hornby toad in GWR livery is still in stock at Bure Valley Models for a very reasonable £17

Thats a good discount but to be honest Colin I don't think they are that good to replace the old Airfix one's, I do have one and I'm not that impressed with the floppy handrails,

the jury is still out to compare them with Poxford's offerings due soon (we hope).  :umbrage:

Bin there, see it, then got the tee shirt . 

It's a must do when you visit rip off railways (WHL) up the road.

Pat McGoohan 

It was mentioned to me that it would be cost effective to take out an annual family membership than pay normal fare, We hope to be visiting the village again before too long, just waiting for some half-decent weather, as it's a long way in the rain just to get wet. I am not Number 6 I am a..... (see signature).

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was mentioned to me that it would be cost effective to take out an annual family membership than pay normal fare, We hope to be visiting the village again before too long, just waiting for some half-decent weather, as it's a long way in the rain just to get wet. I am not Number 6 I am a..... (see signature).

I paid £66 for x2 return from Beddgelert to Carnarvon 3 years ago an absolute blo88y rip off I won't waste anymore dosh on that railway.  :nono:

Port Mirium as SWMBO calls it is worth 1/2 a days visit, there is a nice restaurant in the grounds and a gift shop selling those green plates and dishes I do own the tee shirt a black one with the bike on it bought from the shop in No 6's quarters.  :toclue:

• RMweb Gold

With going away I missed this Mark so here's a side by side comparison before I spray the Hornby roof a dark grey.

attachicon.gifDSCN1614 (2).JPG

Thanks Robin.

It certainly shows how the new Hornby Toad is leaps ahead of the older generation Bachmann/Airfix versions. Saying that I don't think it's a bad combination of using the Bachmann body and Airfix chassis to make an AA13/AA15.

Nice to see you had a good time away in the South West.

Cheers,

Mark