A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the blue box company.

I thought as much, I was looking at getting a couple of Oxford one's I bought a P.O. wagon last week Weymouth & District Co Op a nice bit of kit the only trouble with Oxford wagons is the standard Bachy/Hornby wheel sets fall out  . :good:

attachicon.gifimages (18).jpg  ?

Ar$h

That reminds me of the visit to the little room today. :stink:  :O  :swoon:

• RMweb Gold

The toad is looking very nice, hopefully MRD get their stock soon so I can head over to Portishead to get mine!

GWR grey paint is already on my workbench, along with a pack of HMRS transfers ready to add post war branding.

My plan is to put together vans for 2 departure points for mainline freights for which I'm thinking Severn Tunnel and Tavy Junction, (with an eventual need to have one for each location) plus one for kingsbridge (for which I think the Oxford 4 wheel version is ideal) and one for Newton Abbot for the local freight. So far I have one of each of the Oxfords plus the 2 Hornby on order.

It's now making me wonder about the font used for the branding so I can draw up my own and have Railtec print them, rather than working letter by letter

• RMweb Premium

The toad is looking very nice, hopefully MRD get their stock soon so I can head over to Portishead to get mine!

GWR grey paint is already on my workbench, along with a pack of HMRS transfers ready to add post war branding.

My plan is to put together vans for 2 departure points for mainline freights for which I'm thinking Severn Tunnel and Tavy Junction, (with an eventual need to have one for each location) plus one for kingsbridge (for which I think the Oxford 4 wheel version is ideal) and one for Newton Abbot for the local freight. So far I have one of each of the Oxfords plus the 2 Hornby on order.

It's now making me wonder about the font used for the branding so I can draw up my own and have Railtec print them, rather than working letter by letter

Would Bristol West Depot be more likely than STJ?

• RMweb Gold

Probably a better bet for the first example,

If I remember rightly (and I will check when I get into the office in the morning) there's a couple of Bristol, a couple of stj, a lot of Tavy, and various others up country

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Checking the list you'd get away with changing one number as it was 56683 at STJ. Anyone know the difference between the AA15 and AA13 as used at Newton.

• RMweb Gold

November 1948 Marshalling Instructions for Through Trains etc (Section B so excludes South Wales) -

02.25 M-S, 03.50 Sun West Depot - Tavistock Jcn Class H beyond Newton Abbot

14.30 M-S West Depot - Tavistock Jcn  class H beyond Newton Abbot

21.55 West Depot - Penzance  Class C

22.55 SO West Depot - Tavistock Jcn  Class E beyond Newton Abbot  (SX train terminates Newton Abbot, connect 07.00 Class K ex Newton Abbot for Brent/Kingsbridge booked for 45XX engine.

Also from Newton Abbot -

11.45 Class K to Ivybridge, converys traffic for Brent and Kingsbridge (to go forward 13.50 ex Brent)

The two trains from Newton convey traffic received from Pontypool Rd and Severn Tunnel Jcn, ad does -

16.30 Class k  Newton Abbot - Tavistock Jcn (Class E engine), conveys traffic forward of the 17.15 Kingsbridge  - Brent MIXED.

While I can't pick up trains from South wales there are only two passing Brent heading that way - as follows -

05.25 M-S Tavistock Jcn - A.DJcn/Rogerstone if reqd.  Conveys Common User empties or colliery empties. Class E engine.

11.40 M-S Tavistock Jcn - Rogerstone  Conveys empty loco (coal) and colliery wagons.  Class E engine.  n.b. has numerous onward connections fro Severn Tunnel Jcn

The two Rogerstone trains would most likely have had balancing services working to Tavistock Jcn from South Wales - probably from Rogerstone so maybe a Rogerstone brakevan was more likely to be seen at Brent than on e from STJ (unless teh Rogerstone van came off at the Tunnel of course)

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame that Rogerstone only had one AA15 then according to the list on the GWR org website. Hornby should do other names in due course.

• RMweb Gold

My Toad arrived today. It's very nice indeed. I like the metal bufferheads, lamp irons and glazing. Im a bit befuddled by the choice of Rogerstone rather than a familiar depot. Im going to risk controversy by saying that it's not a significantly better model than recent Hornby or Bachmann efforts. Certainly wouldn't make me bin all my old ones. I don't think it would stand out at normal viewing distances.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My Toad arrived today. It's very nice indeed. I like the metal bufferheads, lamp irons and glazing. Im a bit befuddled by the choice of Rogerstone rather than a familiar depot. Im going to risk controversy by saying that it's not a significantly better model than recent Hornby or Bachmann efforts. Certainly wouldn't make me bin all my old ones. I don't think it would stand out at normal viewing distances.

Worth the extra fiver just for the fitted glazing Colin after the palaver of retro fitting the Bachmann version.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Worth the extra fiver just for the fitted glazing Colin after the palaver of retro fitting the Bachmann version.

For me I'd have happily paid a lot more to avoid having to fit seperate handrails. Really hope the oxford one follows suit!

I wonder if it can be converted to EM or P4 without too much of a problem?

post-9751-0-94554200-1499979361_thumb.jpg

"Well sister do you think it can be converted to EM or P4?"

"I don't think Robin would be very pleased if we converted it as it wouldn't fit his track afterwards....."

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

November 1948 Marshalling Instructions for Through Trains etc (Section B so excludes South Wales) -

02.25 M-S, 03.50 Sun West Depot - Tavistock Jcn Class H beyond Newton Abbot

14.30 M-S West Depot - Tavistock Jcn  class H beyond Newton Abbot

21.55 West Depot - Penzance  Class C

22.55 SO West Depot - Tavistock Jcn  Class E beyond Newton Abbot  (SX train terminates Newton Abbot, connect 07.00 Class K ex Newton Abbot for Brent/Kingsbridge booked for 45XX engine.

Also from Newton Abbot -

11.45 Class K to Ivybridge, converys traffic for Brent and Kingsbridge (to go forward 13.50 ex Brent)

The two trains from Newton convey traffic received from Pontypool Rd and Severn Tunnel Jcn, ad does -

16.30 Class k  Newton Abbot - Tavistock Jcn (Class E engine), conveys traffic forward of the 17.15 Kingsbridge  - Brent MIXED.

While I can't pick up trains from South wales there are only two passing Brent heading that way - as follows -

05.25 M-S Tavistock Jcn - A.DJcn/Rogerstone if reqd.  Conveys Common User empties or colliery empties. Class E engine.

11.40 M-S Tavistock Jcn - Rogerstone  Conveys empty loco (coal) and colliery wagons.  Class E engine.  n.b. has numerous onward connections fro Severn Tunnel Jcn

The two Rogerstone trains would most likely have had balancing services working to Tavistock Jcn from South Wales - probably from Rogerstone so maybe a Rogerstone brakevan was more likely to be seen at Brent than on e from STJ (unless teh Rogerstone van came off at the Tunnel of course)

Hijacking Rob's thread, may I be so bold as to request this information for Cornwall (by PM) please?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that info Mike, I will have to have a quick comparison with the 1947 data I have collated, but from memory not a lot had changed. Makes a nice change that the rtr model is actually coming with a useful name!

I wonder if it can be converted to EM or P4 without too much of a problem?

Assuming that mine arrives before anyone else answers, I will test fit a set of wheels and see if it's a drop in conversion.

• RMweb Gold

So I have finally found a little time to dive into my working timetable to look at freight operations.

In total (up and down) there are 15 different departure points (plus Kingsbridge), a few of which I believe would have vans from elsewhere (the return Ivybridge for example) and a couple have general city names rather than specific yards (eg London), I'm also not clear why some were labled as Laira and others as Tavistock Junction for example.

By far the most common start point unsurprisingly is Tavistock Junction (closely followed by Newton Abbot) from there are only one or two trains from each location (shown on the below table).

Breaking the details down further into through trains and stopping trains vs through trains, the former is dominated by services from Newton Abbot, Bristol and Tavy Junct.

While for Through trains Newton Abbot, Tavy Junct and London come top.

From this logic eventually (and ignoring the current layouts fiddleyard capacity) I think a good mixture would be 1 Kingsbridge van (AA3 if I remember rightly), 2 Newton Abbot (at least one of which needs to be an AA13), one (AA1) Stoke Gifford (given I spent some time living there), finally the two Hornby AA15s for Tavistock Junction and Rodgerstone (the latter out of laziness)

Now someone will come and tell me that post war the majority of vans didn’t have a location painted on…..

post-54-0-74223700-1500021924.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I think the Ivybridge was a Newton Abbot out & back job judging by the Marshalling Instructions. 

Interesting question (without looking at any lists on the 'net) is were any Newton vans actually allocated, by painted name, to Hackney rather than Newton Abbot ?

Hijacking Rob's thread, may I be so bold as to request this information for Cornwall (by PM) please?

When I get a round tuit there will be no problem doing that.  Please be patient as we have cat problems (might know the answer today) plus we're off to sea next week with various prep things needed in advance (such as a haircut for me I'm told).

Only caveat is I only have Section B information so it won't necessarily pick up all the trains and it definitely won't necessarily find all the local trips - but I do havea full list of long distance vac fitted trains for, I think, 1946 which won't be much different.

ADDENDUM

For those who might be interested the list of trains has now been posted in the St Enodoc thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94350-mid-cornwall-lines-1950s-western-region-in-00/page-39

Edited by The Stationmaster