A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That Warburton bloke is still waiting.

attachicon.gifDSCN1479 (2).JPG

Always love to see that beautiful island platform building and all its posters (as seen on the Sankey Scenics website!).  Also like the open toplight in the main station building (gents' loo?).

(Us GW fans should keep mentioning toplights at any opportunity in case someone's listening.)

John C.

• RMweb Gold

Ginsters have denied selling pasties to terrorists.

It could be a good way of dealing with them those Ginsters pasties are CARP.   :bad:  :bo_mini:  :sad_mini2:  :bad:  :fie:

P. Oisonivy

Have you got any toads with grey roofs ?

I don't think that we do Rob - No. We have one without a roof though! I presume that TOADs would have got grey roofs along with the coaching stock during WWII? Just a guess mind...

All the best,

Castle

You had better get cracking, need to get it finished before the RMWeb tour

Hi Rich,

I wish! You can be assured that one day the motive power for the RMWEB tour will be Mk. 1 Castle shaped though!

Not long until the tour now is it? Time flies!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that we do Rob - No. We have one without a roof though! I presume that TOADs would have got grey roofs along with the coaching stock during WWII? Just a guess mind...

All the best,

Castle

Just thinking whether to repaint or just weather the new Hornby toad roof when they come.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

I wish! You can be assured that one day the motive power for the RMWEB tour will be Mk. 1 Castle shaped though!

Not long until the tour now is it? Time flies!

All the best,

Castle

I look forward to it.

Just need the coaching lot to do up either the centenary or a dreadnaught for us to ride in behind it!

• Like 1

Just thinking whether to repaint or just weather the new Hornby toad roof when they come.

Hi Rob,

All the GWR and BR (W) versions of GWR TOAD livery in my Little Didcot collection are all grey. I can't think that they went to the trouble of painting the coach roofs from white to grey and didn't do the TOADs which were, after all, transporting the war winning material from place to place... All guess work again but a vaguely educated one! If anyone asks me and says "that should be white" I will claim very heavy weathering and lack of maintenance post war...

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

All the GWR and BR (W) versions of GWR TOAD livery in my Little Didcot collection are all grey. I can't think that they went to the trouble of painting the coach roofs from white to grey and didn't do the TOADs which were, after all, transporting the war winning material from place to place... All guess work again but a vaguely educated one! If anyone asks me and says "that should be white" I will claim very heavy weathering and lack of maintenance post war...

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

All the best,

Castle

I agree - I'd go for grey.  Even 1930s pics (when we know roofs were officially white) they all look grey, some darker than others.  Filthy shades of grey, to coin a phrase.  We know that pre-war white coach roofs didn't stay white for more than a few weeks, if that, so why should freight stock roofs be any different?  And how often would a Toad roof be cleaned?  Only when the whole vehicle had a repaint I'd suggest. 

John C.

Hi Blue Streak,

We're getting there...

All the best,

Castle

That's great to see.

In all honesty, although there were a great many here, who were sad to see her go again, back home is where she always needed to be really.

I'm really glad that Hammersly Iron Decided to give her back.

I sure she gets plenty of visitors come from West Oz to see Her.

• RMweb Gold

It's very nice. Apart from the separate handrails what other differences are there from older models from Hornby & Bachmann?

John C.

Glazing, lamp irons that take the Modelu lamp without mods ,brake gear , finer step boards and the underside of the verandah roof is planked. This model doesn't have rodding between the w irons like the Bachmann version.