A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Now I do rather like the first one, ugly as anything but very interesting looking

Careful now, you're clearly weakening!

8 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

the other just looks like most other midland prototypes, all very practical but devoid of elegance in its design.  To many straight lines

But just think how much easier the boilers are to roll!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Now I do rather like the first one, ugly as anything but very interesting looking.  

the other just looks like most other midland prototypes, all very practical but devoid of elegance in its design.  To many straight lines

round off the corners of the tanks and the joints between cab and bunker/tank top, get rid of the lump on top of the boiler,  and get rid of all of the lumps around the smokebox door.....

Young Richard, go and wash your mouth out with soap after saying that.

Elegance and design, gold medal winner at the Royal Jubilee Saltaire Exhibition of 1887

4-4-0_Midland_Beatrice_1757.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

That won't happen. I just hope the timing is right for my stay when we can officially and legally enjoy my favourite part of the world.

Just think of it Robin.Those leafy South Hams lanes......and meeting a 4x4 coming the other way.Or as happened to me once when attempting avoidance on an equally leafy side lane,a spooky confrontation with a woman on a large black stallion ....no ,a horse it was honestly....equally truculent to give way. Anyway it was one of the four from The Apocalypse.

Genuinely spooky.The thing towered over the car.     Enjoy soon,avoiding all services on the M5.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just think of it Robin.Those leafy South Hams lanes...…

Enjoy soon,avoiding all services on the M5.

We could always catch the 10.30 Limited from Paddington. King class 6009 King Charles 2nd at the fore , with us sat on those horsehair filled seats in a Centenary coach adorned with roof boards labelled Paddington - Kingsbridge, in the Exeter portion. We leave platform 1 bang on time.

The Weymouth and Minehead portions are slipped on route and soon we arrive at Exeter where we change. A nice Hall backs onto our train and we are on our way skirting the Exe Estuary and passing Dawlish and Teignmouth.

A spotters dream of stopping at Newton Abbot next , as the exhaust beat changes for the climb up Dainton and next stop Totnes. Before we know it we are climbing again, this time Rattery and soon we arrive at Brent, change for Kingsbridge  [Salcombe].

Our coach is detached and is shunted by the branch locomotive, 5551, onto the B set sat in platform 3 ready for the run down the branch.....

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Here's a couple more my old friend of pannier 6417 on a three coach branch train. The yellow gorse was inspired by the stuff on @2ManySpams Treneglos.

1992761774_DSCN6599(2).JPG.08b9738ec2b62d4bdb5832717c006497.JPG1157085033_DSCN6600(2).JPG.3adf912254c57e443bf69987c4f464e5.JPG

I was going to press like for the gorse but that might have been misconstrued as liking the pesky pannier. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

We could always catch the 10.30 Limited from Paddington. King class 6009 King Charles 2nd at the fore , with us sat on those horsehair filled seats in a Centenary coach adorned with roof boards labelled Paddington - Kingsbridge, in the Exeter portion. We leave platform 1 bang on time.

The Weymouth and Minehead portions are slipped on route and soon we arrive at Exeter where we change. A nice Hall backs onto our train and we are on our way skirting the Exe Estuary and passing Dawlish and Teignmouth.

A spotters dream of stopping at Newton Abbot next , as the exhaust beat changes for the climb up Dainton and next stop Totnes. Before we know it we are climbing again, this time Rattery and soon we arrive at Brent, change for Kingsbridge  [Salcombe].

Our coach is detached and is shunted by the branch locomotive, 5551, onto the B set sat in platform 3 ready for the run down the branch.....

Dream on. We need these dreams right now.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Our coach is detached and is shunted by the branch locomotive, 5551, onto the B set sat in platform 3 ready for the run down the branch

Only for the Finching sisters to get in your compartment, a bit pongy and squabbling about the price of turnips again, all the way to the destination.

Perhaps you get off at Avonwick and walk the rest of the way, to preserve your sanity.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I was going to press like for the gorse but that might have been misconstrued as liking the pesky pannier. Better safe than sorry.

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Here's a couple more my old friend of pannier 6417 on a three coach branch train. The yellow gorse was inspired by the stuff on @2ManySpams Treneglos.

1992761774_DSCN6599(2).JPG.08b9738ec2b62d4bdb5832717c006497.JPG1157085033_DSCN6600(2).JPG.3adf912254c57e443bf69987c4f464e5.JPG

Making sure to quote this with the photos again, just to annoy 2ManySpams :jester:  Very nice Rob!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Im more concerned as to what must have been wrong with the 10:30 for it to stop at Brent. 

im also thinking that I can’t believe I don’t have a model of 5551

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Young Richard, go and wash your mouth out with soap after saying that.

Elegance and design, gold medal winner at the Royal Jubilee Saltaire Exhibition of 1887

4-4-0_Midland_Beatrice_1757.jpg

She's a one, that Beatrice bird. Gets around all over RMweb these days. Dunno what her mother would say.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Beatrice is certainly elegant. But am I right in thinking the Midland ran lighter trains than some other companies? After  all, Robert Billinton had worked for Johnson at Derby, but his B2 design for the Brighton did not really cut the mustard on that line's heaviest trains. He needed a bigger and better version to do that, and his B4 was it. A competent person on RMweb is now making one of those for me, albeit in 1930s condition. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Then think again ! The attitude of far too many visitors to holiday areas is that they are 'theme parks', that close down when they go home.

Not true - those areas are permanant homes to a sizeable population, with a disproportionate percentage of elderly, vulnerable residents.

Furthermore, the medical and other essential services, including food outlets, in those holiday areas are far more restricted than those in the more populated, urban areas.

Second home owners who wish to travel to their secondary residence for lockdown risk introducing COVID-19 from the worst affected areas into the relatively low infected holiday areas - the Southwest has been consistently the area of lowest infection throughout this crisis.

What possible justification can there be for travelling around the country, potentially spreading infection, purely for one's own pleasure?

My wife and I have been following government advice for weeks now, and staying indoors, with minimal exercise, and having food delivered.

Surely, sitting in your primary home, with all your facilities to hand, is preferable to sitting in a second home or caravan, with limited facilities? ..... or do you imagine yourself behaving as you usually do when on holiday? If so, that's why we don't want you here !!

John Isherwood.

I believe Colin replied to my post, which appears to have been deleted.  Let's just say there are two sides to every story.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Let's just say there are two sides to every story.

Perhaps so, but sometimes one of the two sides of the argument is supported by considerably more people than the other.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2020 at 13:53, bgman said:

Buttercup Syrup

Bless ewe!

23 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Say what!!!

Proper tank engines............courtesy of Ivo. 

post-14122-0-89863100-1484387971_thumb.jpg-01.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Elvis?

Ah!

"You ain't nothin'but a Dukedog!"

R

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8