Prototype for everything corner.

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Build a proper fuelling point for locos?

Nah, just use a couple of tank cars:

1a34726u2.preview.jpg

Why bother with tank cars?  Just need one or more local fuel trucks to turn up at a station stop:

604919077_refuel2.jpg.063264edb7d0194d5c9395e5c4167ecb.jpg

The Vancouver - Toronto 'Canadian'.  Same locos all the way through, refuelled as neccesary. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'm still intrigued by that reference to silver-painted roofs ........ would that be better for deflecting Dawlish seawater p'raps ??!?

No, it's just how I imagine them for some reason.

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

There’s one around the Bristol area.

Is Yarmouth on a wye? I remember going there by train as a child, and there being some sort of reversing manoeuvre to get the train turned 

If you include the Filton/Stoke Gifford complex, there were at least 6.

6 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

Again, if we go back to the Midland Railway, most of their roundhoueses were square!

5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

And the GW.

I reckon the GW roundhouse at Old Oak Common is a cheat as well, approached through the side wall at an angle.  Good dodge for a low relief roundhouse building though.  

I really like the 'fan shaped train garage', and want one. 

Tondu, which of course I am particularly interested in, was a roundhouse but never had  tender locos allox AFAIK.  Where there were through 'running sheds' and roundhouses the roundhouses were used for minor repair and boiler washout work.  

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

If you include the Filton/Stoke Gifford complex, there were at least 6.

I reckon the GW roundhouse at Old Oak Common is a cheat as well, approached through the side wall at an angle.  Good dodge for a low relief roundhouse building though.  

Birmingham area has at least 6 triangular junctions and more in the past.

Several other GWR Roundhouses had a side entrance: Oxley, Croes Newydd (at 90 degrees), Tondu (90 degrees), Stafford Road

Taunton was at an angle to the tracks. Canton was accessed from both ends as was Pontypool Road

St Blazey (Not a GWR original!) was a segment house in th US tradition.

St_Blazey_(Par)_railway_depot_Geograph-3

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, caradoc said:

And some sheds did have their own wye, eg Nine Elms and Grantham, so they were not unknown, although certainly not common.

Adelaide shed in Belfast had its own wye. The current railway in Belfast has a double track Wye where the lines from Belfast Central Railway join the Dublin line. This is used by RPSI and NIR for turning locomotives.

20200521_204024.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Lantavian said:

1950, and a British-built DEMU with a top speed of 75mph passes through Worcestershire. 

image.png.f03c8ebd9ffb47b648fa65cfed1a1425.png

image.png.0b41bdb7ac8c1a8df6c04c1cd959979b.png

Platform clearance looks pretty close,  You cant imagine network rail letting this happen today

Edited by russ p
Not reading captions properly
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Titan said:

Makes the thumpers/Hastings units look a step backwards if we could have had something like that - they even used the same engines!

At least the Hastings / Thumper family had windows you could see out of ................. passengers as well as the driver, that is !

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

At least the Hastings / Thumper family had windows you could see out of ................. passengers as well as the driver, that is !

True, but make the front window bigger, paint it in reverse blue/grey and put a yellow warning panel on it and it would have been a pretty accurate forecast of future train design...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, lmsforever said:

The LMS dmu should have been put into production it really looks good ,saw a photo of it on the Bletchley Oxford line must have been on tour .

Another victim of German foreign policy 1939-45...

What might have been the result of a dmu style war between the GW and LMS?

• Like 1

Regarding triangles - Bescot had a triangle within a triangle for a while, sadly the 'inner' one is only partially complete today.

There are a few on my route card, some closely laid out and others less so but still technically triangular in layout - namely Cricklewood (with Brent Curve and Dudding Hill junctions), Wigston, Syston, Water Orton (with Park Lane and Castle Brom Jcns), Soho, Perry Barr, Stetchford (with Grand Jcn and Aston), Bescot, Worcester, Gloucester, Gresty (Crewe), Trent and not forgetting Willesden (from the relief lines near the McVitie factory to Acton Wells and back via Sou' West Sdgs). I don't know whether I'm coming or going sometimes.... :D

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

but I don't know why a Collett? coach is in the train

Blowing up the flickr version, it's numbered 9004, which appears to have been a special saloon.

This thread says it was used as an observation coach on the Kyle line:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54136-gwr-club-saloon-9004/

I'm sure a GW expert will be along shortly with more info

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Regarding triangles - Bescot had a triangle within a triangle for a while, sadly the 'inner' one is only partially complete today.

There are a few on my route card, some closely laid out and others less so but still technically triangular in layout - namely Cricklewood (with Brent Curve and Dudding Hill junctions), Wigston, Syston, Water Orton (with Park Lane and Castle Brom Jcns), Soho, Perry Barr, Stetchford (with Grand Jcn and Aston), Bescot, Worcester, Gloucester, Gresty (Crewe), Trent and not forgetting Willesden (from the relief lines near the McVitie factory to Acton Wells and back via Sou' West Sdgs). I don't know whether I'm coming or going sometimes.... :D

Add Lifford plus the triangle formed by Grand Junction-St Andrews Junction- Saltley Junction

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Blowing up the flickr version, it's numbered 9004, which appears to have been a special saloon.

This thread says it was used as an observation coach on the Kyle line:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54136-gwr-club-saloon-9004/

I'm sure a GW expert will be along shortly with more info

I have a hazy memory that McAlpine  (or some similar millionaire) used it as a personal salloon up there for a bit- think I had a railway mag with a shot captioned to that effect when I was younger...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thinking of what I could add to the list of triangles with places I go (or used to go to)

hatton (both north of the station and out to Stratford and back to Tyseley) 

didcot (2 there via the station and avoider) 

chester 

northwich 

dore

chinley

manchester airport branch

shrewsbury 

valley

carlisle (bog jn)

burton on Trent (drakelow branch)

earlestown

newton le willows (Lowton jn) 

• Like 2