Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

If the wiring goes to plan and I have built the points robust enough then I can see myself building all my track from now on! The freedom the get things exactly where you want and the fact you can have long flowing track with out the obvious joins of point to track is very fulfilling.

Cheers for giving me the nudge in the right direction bud :)

• Like 1

If the wiring goes to plan and I have built the points robust enough then I can see myself building all my track from now on! The freedom the get things exactly where you want and the fact you can have long flowing track with out the obvious joins of point to track is very fulfilling.

Cheers for giving me the nudge in the right direction bud :)

No problem Matt, I am definitely in the same camp, with the C & L kits it is so much easier now

The layout is buried in the garage at the minute due to me getting round to finally installing our utility room units and sink, so I have been doing some work on the stock and in particular the CAR brake van. I have had a Bachmann version at the back of the modelling cupboard for years and while Hornby have bought out a new version which is better detailed I decided to use the one I had.

I did some further research on the CAR B954964 identified back on page 10 and found this picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74009/5027338428

I had already identified that I would need to repaint the duckets yellow, but I also found a picture that's showed "The age of the Train" Headboard in colour. It also showed the veranda planking at one end to have been plated over, whereas my model had planking at both ends. This was bit more work than I wanted at this stage so will do 954964 in the future when the layout is finished. Instead I decided to model another van my research had identified to be 954568.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/7357540690

This van has had some patch painting above the ducket but otherwise was a good match, I will route through the spares box for some new axle boxes as well.

post-7400-0-53377100-1420357908_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I managed to grab an hour free earlier so have made some more progress on the final point for the layout. I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed making the C&L kits and definitely think the effort (and cost) was worthwhile.

Also EhertsGER posted a picture of Vic Berry's pile on page 10 so I couldn't resist playing around with some goodies that arrived just before Xmas; more details here on the "3d printing class 25 parts" thread:

post-7400-0-12426900-1420377565_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-62592900-1420377690_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-93453300-1420377703_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I managed to grab an hour free earlier so have made some more progress on the final point for the layout. I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed making the C&L kits and definitely think the effort (and cost) was worthwhile.

Also EhertsGER posted a picture of Vic Berry's pile on page 10 so I couldn't resist playing around with some goodies that arrived just before Xmas; more details here on the "3d printing class 25 parts" thread:

Good grief! Brilliant!

Love the broken window effect too...!

• Like 1

Already replied on the 3d printing thread, so this is a bit of duplication, but really looking forward to seeing your work on the 25's progress. Aside from the cabs, can you post a pic of the under frames?

Hi,

There are a few on page 1 of my Pallet Lane thread which shows the work in progress, link in my signature

Thanks

Another little micro project over the weekend has been yet more surgery for the class 37's. The 37's of which there are 3 (2 split and 1 centre box)  are the original skirted class 37s released in 2003, which suffered from buffers being in the wrong place and the skirts being too long. I corrected this some time ago and since then they have been on the receiving end of many hours of labour and extra bits over the years, including shawplan EE fan grilles, window frames, lazerglase, modified bogies and underframe tanks.

One area I wasn't quite happy with was the headcode box frames on the split box version. In essence the frames suffer from an over thick representation of the rubber and the dominoes being printed on the back of the glass which meant they dots appeared to be recessed in the nose. Bachmann don't help by painting the insides of the separate frames yellow which highlights the fault. This fault is still present on the current day model. I initially tried painting the inside of the frames black which improved things slightly but not perfect:

post-7400-0-35253100-1420496037_thumb.jpg

I decided to tackle this properly as I wanted to change one of the locos from dominoes to "0000" headcode. The solution is to carve of the oversize rubber and repaint the frame. I also painted the front of the glass black and added the dots/numbers to the front instead. I renumbered 37009 to 37029 which still had "0000" in 1977 and gave both noses a good weathering:

post-7400-0-50311700-1420496329_thumb.jpg

This is a good source of reference photos for Blue split box class 37's

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2003122@N25/pool

• Like 5

After a couple of evenings chopping up Bachmann class 25's it was time for another test session tonight. I had to make some small modifications to the bridge platework and road due the roadway being slightly higher than the rail which was affecting the running of the shunters. The layout now runs to my satisfaction so I can concentrate on finishing the signal gantry and a couple of bits and pieces on the fiddle yard.

As ever the camera was handy:

20214 arrives to collect the days cement empties:

post-7400-0-50229500-1420752336.jpg

Later in the day 03121 drops off the empty scrap wagons for Habgoods. 03382 has rounded up the burnt out brake van from Kingsland Road which Habgoods have bought for scrap:

post-7400-0-94361100-1420752383_thumb.jpg

03382 arrives with the unfortunate brake van:

post-7400-0-60983300-1420752492_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-61911900-1420752520_thumb.jpg

The next day an Eastern Region interloper is on the cement train in the form of 37029

post-7400-0-64559000-1420752623_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-21727300-1420752646_thumb.jpg

A passing Bristol VR bus enables a quick glimpse from the top deck of the cement terminal. Too late to get the number of the 37 though...

post-7400-0-46887100-1420752738_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

One thing puzzles me Rob. I don't recall seeing very many Class 20s in the Bristol area.

Geoff Endacott

My excuse is they came down on last weekends railtour and Bath Road nabbed them because one of their class 31's broke down.

Joking aside I didn't think they got to the area till I saw Riverciders' "W.R. Freight" thread, apparently they made it to Avonmouth.

• Like 1

Realy like your "burnt " out brake van!!

Looks so life like Rob...

cheers neil..

Thanks Neil, It was quite a fun little project to do, although I have seen quite a few done over the years.

• Like 1

I have nearly finished the point for the upper level, I am scratching my head on point control as I think the distance between the rack bed and baseboard is too deep for a tortoise motor (8cm?) which would be my first choice, so may need to stick with wire in tube of some description,

I have been a little distracted by class 25 bashing. I promised Simon who supplied the resin cabs I would crack on with the work asap to road test them, but they will shortly go into the paint shop. I am fitting Shawplan EE radiator fan grilles to them after being really pleased with them on the 37's, so will fit them to all the fleet in time:

post-7400-0-36497200-1421010390_thumb.jpg

• Like 4