Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, David. I like the Peterborough to Grantham photo’s, all of which are of interest. The last one, at High Dyke, with a class 254, HST, on a down express, in February, 1983, shows a typical snowy scene, and it’s one which I cannot recall. I don’t know why.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It was probably taken in the third week of February that year, and may well be be a midweek photo.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

J2975. Probably 9004 as that worked the Aberdonian northbo7nd on Saturday 22 July 1972. Diverted via Carlisle due to flooding at Dunbar.

Sorry Dave, but I’ve changed my mind. The gap between the vents and the nameplate looks deeper than standard which suggests 9008 and that worked the Aberdonian north on Saturday 1 July.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Sorry Dave, but I’ve changed my mind. The gap between the vents and the nameplate looks deeper than standard which suggests 9008 and that worked the Aberdonian north on Saturday 1 July.

Andrew,  I don't mind at all.

I've changed the caption.

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Your insistence on showing the luscious Northumberland countryside is quite disconcerting. I must have been through Etal, having visited both Duddo - for the stones - and Norham, for the castle, obviously. And I'm quite sure that the Misses Elliott, Deb's Grandmother and Great Aunts, will have taught there.

Google maps tell me the little railway is still extant. If we ever escape the shadow of Covid, a holiday up there sounds good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Your insistence on showing the luscious Northumberland countryside is quite disconcerting. I must have been through Etal, having visited both Duddo - for the stones - and Norham, for the castle, obviously. And I'm quite sure that the Misses Elliott, Deb's Grandmother and Great Aunts, will have taught there.

Google maps tell me the little railway is still extant. If we ever escape the shadow of Covid, a holiday up there sounds good. 

The railway has a very good website. You only need to put the "Heatherslaw Railway" into google to find it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the Heatherslaw Railway photo’s which show a most unique little railway. The carriages seem to have a mock wood finish, and it’s all so rural with so many bushes and trees. What a delightful view in C15372 at Etal, on the 30th August, 1990. All so bucolic. I must visit it when we get back to normal.

The Scottish photo’s are full of interest, and in C11529, at Dunkeld, with 26040, on an up light engine movement, on the 15th October, 1988, you have captured a most excellent view of the station buildings. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Now for this year's Christmas card from me.

1884338321_BasfordWD90453downgoodsJan54JVol7004RMWebXmascard2020.jpg.8bb49297d97a451d0a048720d37546a7.jpg

Basford WD 90453 down goods Jan 54 JVol7004

David

And a very Merry Christmas to you too Dave and a Happy 2021.:good:

Thanks again for keeping us entertained with such wonderful pictures and memories.:good::good::good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family Dave.

Your photos are still a daily inspiration, partly because there is more to them than just locos, this makes them so interesting to look at, some of the photos seem quite recent and then you realise they might be thirty years old.

Martyn

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. Firstly I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas, and I hope it is very relaxing for you and your family. I do enjoy each day’s photo’s, and today’s are no exception being of lovely old York. That last photo’s is very good as a class 08 shunter manoeuvres the sole preserved V2, Green Arrow on the 28th July, 1986.

So, I look forward to many more photo’s to come in the New Year. 

Very warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas David and all the other regulars on this thread.

With all the stress in the world at the moment David's thread and its nightly dose of nostalgia is one of the few decent things left 

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

I'm the archetypal 'humbug' sort of guy at this time of year but I do look forward to your Christmas card, thanks for all the wonderful images posted throughout the year, labour of love on your part and love it a lot on my part!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, David, for the good wishes and the card but, particularly, for keeping us royally entertained for another year, with your spectacular back catalogue of photographs. It hardly seems possible that it has been twelve months since we last exchanged festive greetings but your daily postings have been a beacon of light at the end of each day during this generally miserable year. Wishing you and yours the very best of good health for 2021.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It's strange how certain photographs ignite the senses, I have just been scrolling down through yesterday's selection from York and as soon as my eyes took in image J9069.jpg I could immediately hear and feel the vibration of Valenta engines, feel the breeze blowing through the station and hear the station announcers voice echoing and almost smell the atmosphere !

None of the other also excellent photos invoked this reaction but if I scroll back up again I get the same sense of being there 'present in the station' .....spooky.....but very welcome, thankyou !!

Seasons greetings to all.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I like the latest Newcastle photo’s of which all are of interest. In J10552, with a class 254 HST, on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh service in October, 1989, that is an excellent view of the station as the HST enters it from the south.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1