• RMweb Gold

Fantastic prototype - look forwards to seeing this move forwards

Is it moose proof ? No buffers.......

Afraid not for me but hope this is a riproaring success and other models follow

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And just for info - the significance of the 3 and the 6.  The power cars were numbered PC 1 and PC 2, the trailers were numbered TC 1 and TC2 - thus two power car (or two trailer) numbers added together make 3, the numbers of all four vehicles added together make 6.

On a note for Jason PC1 definitely carried a painted number (PC1) and that is visible in some pics, I don't know if the other vehicles carried painted numbers.

• Like 1

Links to pre-order (with deposits)

Deposit? Why? That'll put a lot of people off.

Many will want to see some progress (see Hornby thread) before parting with any hard-earned.

I read Stationmaster's recent comment over on Hornby section and have similar thoughts...

Stationmaster wrote:

I will not place money upfront with retailers for pre-orders, end of. In my view if a so called 'business' requires me to stake them then they are not the sort of business where my money would be safe. If it was a 'shared development cost' my view might be different but again why couldn't they develop the model without my financial help, how sound is their business plan?

Could paste this easily, hence no quote box. Sorry

Regards Igor

Many will want to see some progress (see Hornby thread) before parting with any hard-earned.

I read Stationmaster's recent comment over on Hornby section and have similar thoughts...

Stationmaster wrote:

I will not place money upfront with retailers for pre-orders, end of. In my view if a so called 'business' requires me to stake them then they are not the sort of business where my money would be safe. If it was a 'shared development cost' my view might be different but again why couldn't they develop the model without my financial help, how sound is their business plan?

I believe this is the same business plan that Rapido have successfully used in their previous productions of North American prototypes. There's some risk in it for the customer, and that is something the UK OO market isn't accustomed to. The offer is simple: accept this risk if you want the model. It's a choice and there's no compulsion; it's wholly in the potential customer's hands.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Stationmaster wrote:

Regards Igor

I think that's a really interesting issue.

Having already slapped in my order (while feeling suitably smug that I also guessed correctly), I see this as a punt. On the basis of their reputation I'm prepared to stump up a deposit once and, if the end result is worth it, I'll be happy but, if it isn't, they will never again get my business.

It's the same principle I use when I buy professional services from a model-maker, for example, and pay up-front for the costs of the materials, any kit, etc.

So far, touch wood, that's all worked out fine.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good choice and what I guessed. The price is certainly good - presumably it can be kept down because there's not a lot of external detail that needs to be a separate fitting. I trust it will have separately fitted windscreen wipers, but are there any/many external handrails?

Good luck to Rapido. I haven't made my mind up yet, but it is very tempting. Any chance of a DCC fitted non sound option?

EDIT: as for paying a deposit, provided there is good progress on show so we have a pretty clear idea as to how it will look before the 30 April 2015 deadline for placing orders, paying a deposit won't be a showstopper for me. 

Edited by brushman47544

No use to me whatsoever for either the current or the planned layout but I've just ordered one

Price is a lot less than I would have expected and the killer for me was 'Designed for drop-in conversion to P4 and EM wheelsets' :)

John

• RMweb Premium

I would love one of these, though I've no way of putting a deposit down now. Can I ask that when it gets nearer the cutoff date that Rapido/Andy Y keep us reminded of this? I hope (against the prevailing trend in my life) that I will be able to sort something out by then.

Stationmaster wrote:

Regards Igor

The way I would look at the deposit scenario is this, does the person developing the model have a past history of delivering good models.  If the answer is yes and I want the model then I put down the deposit.  If the answer is no then I walk away - there was a proposal for a Leader locomotive a couple of years back, there was no history behind the person doing the model so no way I was going to put money up front.

Now if it is a retailer doing this, I am not so sure I would want to put in a deposit as there are now multiple parties involved and more of a risk of one of them going down and my money with it.  If it was Hornby, Dapol, Bachmann doing it, no I wouldn't, they are big enough to stand on their own two feet.  Then there is DJM, new company, old name - difficult one and I am glad that Dave has gone down the route of putting his money where his mouth is because although I believe he is honest and will deliver good models he has no current history in doing so on his own.