Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am pulling out what remains of my hair........DCC you drive the trains not the track

Real Railway The signaler sets the route, clears the signals, the guard (or station staff if one man operated) tell the driver the train is set to go and the driver pulls the regulator. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

DCC Model Railway The route is set (maybe by a signaler but could also be by the driver on his handset), signals ( if fitted and operative) are cleared, there maybe someone who tells the driver is it OK to go but normally there isn't, the driver (who maybe the signaler as well) pushes the go button, or the slidey thing or turns the twiddly knob. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

DC Model Railway The route is set (maybe by a signaler but could also be by the driver on the control panel), signals ( if fitted and operative) are cleared, there maybe someone who tells the driver is it OK to go but normally there isn't, the driver (who maybe the signaler as well) pushes the  the slidey thing or turns the twiddly knob. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

Can someone explain how you drive the track in DC?  Mine seems to stay still even without the nails in it.

Do you also know the meaning of life, or the whereabouts of the Holly Grail as well mate?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

33 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am pulling out what remains of my hair........DCC you drive the trains not the track

Real Railway The signaler sets the route, clears the signals, the guard (or station staff if one man operated) tell the driver the train is set to go and the driver pulls the regulator. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

DCC Model Railway The route is set (maybe by a signaler but could also be by the driver on his handset), signals ( if fitted and operative) are cleared, there maybe someone who tells the driver is it OK to go but normally there isn't, the driver (who maybe the signaler as well) pushes the go button, or the slidey thing or turns the twiddly knob. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

DC Model Railway The route is set (maybe by a signaler but could also be by the driver on the control panel), signals ( if fitted and operative) are cleared, there maybe someone who tells the driver is it OK to go but normally there isn't, the driver (who maybe the signaler as well) pushes the  the slidey thing or turns the twiddly knob. The magic thing happens and the train moves.

Can someone explain how you drive the track in DC?  Mine seems to stay still even without the nails in it.

Hi Clive,

I wouldn't worry about it and just get on and build another bug crate, or you could get into sacred geometry and Patristics and the terrible effect that non contrapuntal music has upon ones own conscious:

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It is expressions like  "DCC you drive the trains not the track", what rubbish.

I have operated both good and over complicated DC and DCC  layouts. Neither system seems to stop operator error or stuff falling off the track. The two main problems I have, and the latter one is only now and then.. The former, well best not go there.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It is expressions like  "DCC you drive the trains not the track", what rubbish.

You’re an engineer (I believe); that expression is marketing speak/spin/whatever: engineers and marketing don’t mix ‘cos engineers can’t stand the ‘fast and loose with facts’ so beloved by sales persons!

Paul. (Another similarly afflicted engineer.)

I’ll see you on Friday and explain why I use DCC . . . :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

You’re an engineer (I believe); that expression is marketing speak/spin/whatever: engineers and marketing don’t mix ‘cos engineers can’t stand the ‘fast and loose with facts’ so beloved by sales persons!

Paul. (Another similarly afflicted engineer.)

I’ll see you on Friday and explain why I use DCC . . . :biggrin_mini2:

Thanks Paul

I know what you mean. I did start my working life as an engineer but change direction and became a nurse. Like engineering, you deal with realities not spin.

I am operating a DCC layout on Friday, with noise. Let's hope I remember which button to push to get the loco to sound its horn.

I will have the Edinburgh to Glasgow train with me to make. I have done the basics for side 2 of the first coach.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Paul

I know what you mean. I did start my working life as an engineer but change direction and became a nurse. Like engineering, you deal with realities not spin.

I am operating a DCC layout on Friday, with noise. Let's hope I remember which button to push to get the loco to sound its horn.

I will have the Edinburgh to Glasgow train with me to make. I have done the basics for side 2 of the first coach.

Careful Clive - you'll be wanting a drive on Abbotswood next!

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Careful Clive - you'll be wanting a drive on Abbotswood next!

Hello Lord Bullock of Abbotswood,

If I can manage Dagworth, including doing the signalling and route setting in the days of Hex then your train set should be easy.......downside my mobile, it is a phone not a mini computer, will it work?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Lord Bullock of Abbotswood,

If I can manage Dagworth, including doing the signalling and route setting in the days of Hex then your train set should be easy.......downside my mobile, it is a phone not a mini computer, will it work?

No worries Clive we have plenty of spare mini computers.......giving you network access on your phone could be risky! Others have gone away with it and subsequently hacked in to network at future exhibitions to cause chaos - hee hee. No names no pack drill!

Phil

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

No worries Clive we have plenty of spare mini computers.......giving you network access on your phone could be risky! Others have gone away with it and subsequently hacked in to network at future exhibitions to cause chaos - hee hee. No names no pack drill!

Phil

Hi Phil

Do you have a handset with a twiddly turny thingy, as I can't manage anything else. Andi has one just for me.:yes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Toy Trains is for fun, be it wooden push along, clockwork, DC, DCC, Radio Controlled, Real Steam Driven, Solar powered or wind powered.

Andy, I think you forgot to mention .....

1718798027_MrFusion.jpg.5872aab427ef62552fd37981c1e8944a.jpg

Courtesy of Doc Brown (and Marty)!

Ian

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

...engineers and marketing don’t mix ‘cos engineers can’t stand the ‘fast and loose with facts’ so beloved by sales persons!...

As an engineer once told me: "we are dealing with marketing people here so common sense is wearing trainers and will not be allowed in"

Nice to see a solid Hastings DEMU under construction amid all those flimsy Northern DMUs. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

As an engineer once told me: "we are dealing with marketing people here so common sense is wearing trainers and will not be allowed in"

Talking about 'Common Sense", I saw a couple of 'T' shirts with these slogans:

1622687052_commonsensedeodorant.jpg.478887015fcce7d60f8d083f6a06511f.jpg362585190_commonsensesuperpower.jpg.2cfb44ce24f8bfe9fa6206ae919bfc2a.jpg

Ian

Edited by Ian_H
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5